Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Coffee Discussion>You Lousy Bastages!!!
floydpink 04:45 PM 11-22-2010
this all reminds me of myself. Hopefully a tatoo like this doesn't wind up on your ass like it did mine..

[Reply]
Blueface 08:36 AM 11-25-2010
Question:
What setting should I start with for my Rocky when I receive it on Monday?
[Reply]
floydpink 09:10 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Question:
What setting should I start with for my Rocky when I receive it on Monday?
Carlos,

Your grinder will have a "zero" point. This is the number or line on the dial where you can hear the distict sound of the burrs slightly touching each other, usually a high pitch and worrisome sound for a new grinder owner.

On a "stepped" grinder like yours, or one that has clicks indicating higher or lower adjustments, you'll find a number that works, although it can vary slightly from bean to bean etc.

Although a Rocky owner would know best, I'd start somewhere around 5 and go from there.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

NEVER EVER ADJUST SETTINGS WITHOUT THE GRINDER RUNNING>

a bean can get caught between the top and bottom burrs and frreze up your machine and fry the motor.
[Reply]
Blueface 06:54 AM 11-29-2010
So.....to find the zero point, unit must be on?
While on, adjust until I hear that sound you describe and then click back from that setting to around 5-8 from all I have read for espresso.
Correct?
Should be here in an hour or two as already on the UPS truck to be delivered to me.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:58 AM 11-29-2010
always when on, or you may adjust the setting smaller, wedging a bean inbetween the burrs and causing the motor to be strained or not allowing movement at all, making "bad things" happen, Carlos.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:12 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
always when on, or you may adjust the setting smaller, wedging a bean inbetween the burrs and causing the motor to be strained or not allowing movement at all, making "bad things" happen, Carlos.
Yeah, sounds like bad things for sure.
I can see how that can happen and glad I heard of it first before I did it myself.
Logic would tell you to instead adjust when off yet that is the thing NOT to do.
[Reply]
floydpink 07:53 AM 11-29-2010
I have a feeling your grinder was tested before shipping out, so don't freak out if it has coffee grinds in it.

Try 5 on your machine and go from there when determining the best setting. You would be clicking forward though.
[Reply]
Blueface 08:52 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I have a feeling your grinder was tested before shipping out, so don't freak out if it has coffee grinds in it.

Try 5 on your machine and go from there when determining the best setting. You would be clicking forward though.
Glad you mentioned that.
Just got it and thought it was "used". :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 01:56 PM 12-11-2010
Well, thanks to this forum, my collection continues to grow.
In a very less than expected time:
Rancilio Silvia
Rocky Doser Grinder
Coffee Bean Vac
Espresso Gear Tamper
Urnex Cafiza

On order and in the mail:
Stainless Steel Knockbox
Counter and grinder brushes
Dezcal Descaler

Just ordered today and yet to ship:
Bottomless Portafilter with 3 shot basket

As the thread is so appropriately titled:
You Lousy Bastages!!!!!!!!!!

Man I am so screwed.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 02:14 PM 12-11-2010
I don't see any roasting equipment, you ain't screwed yet, boyo.
[Reply]
floydpink 02:30 PM 12-11-2010
I don't see any roasting equipment, you ain't screwed yet, boyo.
I'll bet anyone who wants some action, that this time next year Carlos is debating different roasters and is wondering if popcorn machines are worth the hassle.

Following this, we will certianly see a thread telling us how right we were and how much better fresh roasted coffee is compared to commercial.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 02:35 PM 12-11-2010
I'll bet anyone who wants some action, that this time next year Carlos is debating different roasters and is wondering if popcorn machines are worth the hassle.
Carlos would never be a po'boy trailuh trayash popper/SCCO/Franken roaster like me. Complete Behmor or Hottop roaster for him. He's high class, ya know.
[Reply]
Blueface 03:50 PM 12-11-2010

Following this, we will certianly see a thread telling us how right we were and how much better fresh roasted coffee is compared to commercial.
If I didn't know any better, I would take you up on the bet.:-)

Carlos would never be a po'boy trailuh trayash popper/SCCO/Franken roaster like me. Complete Behmor or Hottop roaster for him. He's high class, ya know.
Not high class, just anal about toys.:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up