Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Sam To Leave Oliva and NUB
guado 04:33 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by bscottskangum:
I know that the article states that Oliva owns the Cain brand, but without Sam on board I wonder if they will go the way of the cloth bands :-)
That will never happen. Bigger and better things are on the horizon!
[Reply]
BengalMan 05:46 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
Am I reading this right? Oliva created this Studio Tobac to be a spinoff of sorts and the stage is set for Sam to "part ways" with Oliva, but the door appears to be wide open for his creations there. In other words, let's create a lot of buzz about what's going on for all the talk so we can announce his new position all while under the Oliva umbrella. Am I way out in left field with this?
Yes, your way out in left field, all by yourself, lol.
[Reply]
RRocket 06:33 AM 11-05-2010
I guess I'll be the jerk for saying it...

I've only met Sam at an event, and do not know him personally. Having said that, I got the impression that Sam's image (his style in general) was as important as the cigars he was promoting and was almost a "brand" unto itself. I've often wondered to myself if that self branding ("Sam Leccia IS NUB/Cain cigars!") was ever going to be in conflict with Oliva someway and that someday Sam would seek to expand on his image.
[Reply]
boom 07:17 AM 11-05-2010
It will be interesting to see where he lands... I am sure he'll pop up with something new and amazing....
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:28 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Between this and Glorbal Warming, I don't know how I will sleep tonight.
It makes me a little twitchy too...

The only thing that would make it better would be if Sam teamed up with Christian Audiger/Ed Hardy......
[Reply]
shilala 07:31 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by RRocket:
I guess I'll be the jerk for saying it...

I've only met Sam at an event, and do not know him personally. Having said that, I got the impression that Sam's image (his style in general) was as important as the cigars he was promoting and was almost a "brand" unto itself. I've often wondered to myself if that self branding ("Sam Leccia IS NUB/Cain cigars!") was ever going to be in conflict with Oliva someway and that someday Sam would seek to expand on his image.
Sam branded himself into oblivion with a good number of the brothers here awhile back. Tom still has a man crush on him, so at least he can hang on to that.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:52 AM 11-05-2010
It's possible that Sam finally got exposed to a corona sized cigar and had an epiphany. Hey these are great, what was I thinking? Hard to continue the evangelical promotion when your heart lies elsewhere. :-)

Or - the owners of the old line cigar company possibly wanted to take back control of the dialog from their self promoting front man.

Or - There's only room in town for one sheriff kind of thing is the most likely scenario. He'll pop up elsewhere. Maybe K Hansottia will bring him on as his "Master blender".

Pretty difficult to start a vertically integrated cigar manufacturing company from scratch - so assume mucho hype, but in the end a known company will be making the "Leecias" or By "Sam Leecias".
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:59 AM 11-05-2010
Ernie Carillo is no longer associated with LGC and they are still running and expanding.

MCS
[Reply]
mmblz 08:06 AM 11-05-2010
... in related news, I finally threw these out the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqttlqEn2s

:-)
[Reply]
forgop 08:12 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Yes, your way out in left field, all by yourself, lol.
Just a conspiracy theory for the "free" PR that would come about as a result. :-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:12 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
Interesting...it just so happens that nublive appears to be deactivated as well.
It's been down for a couple of weeks, the word from Sam on his twitter was that it would be back up soon and they were switching web teams. Coincidence? Probably not, but who knows.

I've never heard anybody say anything bad about Sam, and I've always gotten the impression from everybody I've ever talked to about him that he's a very down to earth, nice, generous BOTL. I don't know him personally so I can't attest to that fact myself, but going off what I've heard I couldn't do anything but wish him the best in his future endeavors.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:17 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
... in related news, I finally threw these out the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqttlqEn2s

I use those to cut all my Nubs.
[Reply]
gijoey959 08:28 AM 11-05-2010
Sam is a pretty cool guy, eh is involved with tobacco and doesn't afraid of anything

In all seriousness, he seems like an awesome guy, I talked with him for the whole cain/nub event pretty much and he seems like "just a guy" and not so much a brand creator/promoter... or whatever he is :-) He just seems very down to earth on a sales level, its not like other reps who get there and immediately start blasting you with how their line of cigars is the best, etc...

I'm sure he'll land on his feet with something, while I was there, he was talking about a cigar that was "ready to smoke" as in, both ends came pre-clipped and all you had to do was light it. I'd personally at least try that, it sounds like a cool gimmick at the very least
[Reply]
Brutus2600 08:37 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by gijoey959:
I'm sure he'll land on his feet with something, while I was there, he was talking about a cigar that was "ready to smoke" as in, both ends came pre-clipped and all you had to do was light it. I'd personally at least try that, it sounds like a cool gimmick at the very least
Hrmm...I'd make a joke about Swisher Sweets, but J. Fuego has had pretty good reviews with their recent Origen Original that doesn't need cut.
[Reply]
shilala 08:51 AM 11-05-2010
I use those to cut all my Nubs.
With laser guided precision, you can simply excise the sweet spot and snort it.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:04 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
[Reply]
x man 09:24 AM 11-05-2010
Between this and Glorbal Warming, I don't know how I will sleep tonight.
lmao
[Reply]
icehog3 10:44 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
MMMM....sweet spot.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:16 AM 11-05-2010
ZOMG no more Sam at Oliva. :-)
[Reply]
poker 11:23 AM 11-05-2010
who? :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up