Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Pinar Del Rio - What do you think?
cigarz 11:13 AM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I got this sampler a while back on Monster for about $15. I tried all 4 after some rest. The were all just ok. None of them really jumped out at me, and I have not gone back for more. If you can find them cheap, maybe $3 each, give em a try.
:-)
[Reply]
Goldie 12:13 PM 09-03-2010
Thanks for all the feedback gents. I think I need to look for a sampler that includes several different of the PDR sticks.
[Reply]
Dunkel 05:25 PM 09-04-2010
I smoked a PDR 1878 Cappa Madura while watching the Mountaineers beat Coastal Carolina. It was a damn good smoke. Anyone know where to get them online other than Thompson or NHC?
[Reply]
Aficionado 07:59 PM 12-22-2010
The original Clasico is an excellent cigar, especially corona, on a par with some Havanas. I hope they have not changed that one. The original HSG was a spicy, good value robusto. But the new blend of this line (e.g., on the corona it's Liga Cubana No. 5) is a much diluted offering. The character that cigar had is now gone. And unfortunately the same can be said for the new Seleccion (Double Toro) and the little-known VLR, which in its original form was excellent for the price. I had to return them and will do the same with HSGs. Sad, but too often if something is especially good, it ends up getting changed or discontinued.

The Oscuro had burn issues; the 1878s (natural and maduro) are uninspiring at best. I have seen what PDR can do with the right material, expertise and so on. Here's hoping that comes their way next year.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:48 PM 12-22-2010
Try the 1878 Capa Oscura if you have the opportunity. Great smoke!:-)
[Reply]
Bunker 02:34 AM 12-23-2010
Cbid recently had Sun Growns on their free fall, I ended up getting 10 shipped for just over $20
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 06:43 AM 12-23-2010
I want to like these, but they just don't float my boat. I always seem to end up with a dark blistery burn line and they draw with a bit of harsh flavors in the back ground. I've only purchased singles and have given them a chance at aging from a few months to a year in my humi and it didn't seem to help much. To be honest, even if they did mellow out with the burn and flavor profile I don't think I'd keep a lot of them around.

Differnt smokes for differnent folks I guess. They may hit you right in the sweet spot though. Give em a shot and let us know what you think.
[Reply]
Aficionado 08:23 AM 12-23-2010
The reblends bear little resemblance to the originals. Really sad. The Clasico original (no yellow ribbon) was a great cigar, and the HSG (no red ribbon) was notable as well.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 05:47 AM 09-30-2011
I bought a sampler pack from CI that contained the Oscuro (Blue Label), Habano Sun Grown (Red Label), Exclusivo (Yellow Label) and the Reserva Limitado (Black Label). So far I have only smoked the Oscuro. I really enjoyed it. It had a good mocha character that was left on the palate after each puff. It was a very smooth cigar. The only problem was some very small touch ups that I kept finding myself doing, but that may have been due to the freshness of the cigar. I smoked it after about 2 weeks of receiving it. It is certainly a smoke I would persue again. After I smoke the others I will let you know what I find.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up