Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>Breaking Favre News
QUAZY50 11:10 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
A local sportcaster on the radio this morning, growing tired of the Favre circus, referred to this as "The Second Coming of Brett." :-)
93x morning show? I love listening to that on the way to work and for the two hours in the morning at work while they are on. Hilarious.

Originally Posted by BigAsh:
What's the consensus in MN...Happy or Not?
I'm happy. T-jack sucks.
[Reply]
pektel 11:15 AM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by QUAZY50:

I'm happy. T-jack sucks.
This.
[Reply]
BlackDog 12:21 PM 08-18-2010
No question he is one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game, and is lightyears better than T-Jack and Rosenfelds. So to that extent, happy. But I have my doubts about his health this year. Every defensive lineman in the league is going to be gunning for his ankle.
[Reply]
larryinlc 01:11 PM 08-18-2010
Air Favre One has landed I thought that was funny. A pretty good commentary in our paper today about the situation. As a Packer fan, I can relate.

MINNEAPOLIS - No player in the history of sports has ever extended his team further over a barrel than Brett Favre dangled the Vikings and their three Ambassadors to Hattiesburg on Tuesday morning.

It breaks the record set by Favre a year ago Wednesday when he finally showed up to save the Vikings. You know, the first time around.

If the Vikings came off looking desperate, clumsy and discombobulated, it doesn't really matter. The only thing that mattered was convincing Favre to keep playing ahead of Tarvaris Jackson. The groveling, the reported

$7 million pay bump and Tuesday's Keystone Kops routine will be long forgotten by the time Faith Hill starts singing on

Sept. 9.

Before Air Favre One finally arrived in Minnesota on Tuesday, the Vikings were a rudderless wild-card dark horse adrift in a sea of decent NFC teams. Once Air Favre One touched down, the Vikings became a perfectly seasoned team with a leader and no excuses not to make the Super Bowl for the first time since Favre was 7 years old.

It must be uncomfortable being made to look desperate, clumsy and discombobulated from March through mid-August. It must be painful to pass on a Donovan McNabb for a second-rounder and set your draft board according to the whims of a 40-year-old quarterback.

The only known antidote is Aaron Rodgers. And since there's no Aaron Rodgers west of Wausau, the Vikings swallowed their pride, publicly humiliated their backup quarterbacks and created one final carnival ride for the media on Tuesday.

Coach Brad Childress, the man who dispatched the Ambassadors to Hattiesburg, wasn't scheduled to speak. Rather than tweak the schedule, he sent special teams coordinator Brian Murphy and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to their regularly scheduled news conferences.

Poor guys. The only things missing were blindfolds and a cigarette.

Ultimately, however, the only thing that will be remembered about Tuesday is the Vikings played their last card and Favre came back. So it was a good day for the Purple.

This is a team with nine starters in their 30s and one in his 40s. This is a team with several key players in the final year of their contracts, including four from the vaunted defensive front seven.

That's why the Vikings should be excused for coming off desperate, clumsy and discombobulated. Having left themselves with no Aaron Rodgers, they did what they had to do to salvage what could be the most important season in the franchise's 50-year history

[Reply]
BlackDog 01:34 PM 08-18-2010
IMO that's really a poor evaluation of the situation, unless of course it's meant as tongue in cheek humor. :-)

There's no way those three went to Hattiesburg to beg Farve to return. It was all a well orchestrated media show, and they went down to travel with him and welcome him back. They are each the captains of the offense, defense, and special teams. Just more drama for the TV cameras.
[Reply]
Kreth 01:37 PM 08-18-2010
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
Air Favre One has landed I thought that was funny. A pretty good commentary in our paper today about the situation. As a Packer fan, I can relate.
As much as I detest Brett Marino, I'll probably quote this article when the Vikes roll over GB. Twice. Again. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
darkleeroy 01:42 PM 08-18-2010

:-):-):-)

I hope when I'm old I can look like a smarmy super pirate like that.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 11:45 AM 08-20-2010
Why don't this guy just go away? Oh it must have been the additional six milllion he can squeeze out of the Vikings.
[Reply]
shilala 11:52 AM 08-20-2010
I'm just glad I can bust out my Farve jersey for one more season. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up