Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>LT arrested for rape
AD720 01:23 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I'm curious, Vic. What are some examples? It seems really not good to allow the age of consent to be under 18.
<devil's advocate post>
I'm a senior in high school dating a sophomore in high school. On May 23rd I turn 18, my girlfriend is still 16. Am I good to go on May 22nd and a pedophile on May 23rd?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:25 PM 05-06-2010
I'm curious, Vic. What are some examples? It seems really not good to allow the age of consent to be under 18.
The age of consent throughout a good portion of the US east of the Mississippi is 16. VA, TN & FL are holdouts at 18.

It's 14 or 15 through much of Europe.
[Reply]
Darrell 01:28 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
<devil's advocate post>
I'm a senior in high school dating a sophomore in high school. On May 23rd I turn 18, my girlfriend is still 16. Am I good to go on May 22nd and a pedophile on May 23rd?
Certain exemptions should be made for common sense sake, this is one of them.

However if you're 44 trolling the school yard for 16 yr olds, that's another story.
[Reply]
AD720 01:36 PM 05-06-2010
Unfortunately when it comes to the law there can not be any room left for exemptions based on common sense, no gray areas. How about when that 18 year dude old turns 20 or 21 and the girl is still shy of her 18th? There are so many what ifs, it's got to be a clear line.

However if you're 44 trolling the school yard for 16 yr olds, that's another story.
Agreed that it's gross, but if you are in a state in which the age of consent is 16 it is legal. Whether are not her parents go for it is another story. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 01:41 PM 05-06-2010

From the wiki...for informational purposes.

This thread did take an interesting turn. :-)
[Reply]
loki 01:47 PM 05-06-2010
a guy gets arrested for rape and we're discussing AOC and the definition of pedophile? give me a ****ing break
[Reply]
akumushi 02:03 PM 05-06-2010
How about assault and prostitution? That story is wrong on SO many levels. I hope they throw the book at him.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:10 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by loki:
a guy gets arrested for rape and we're discussing AOC and the definition of pedophile? give me a ****ing break
Then just ignore the thread and move along.

There is your ****ing break.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:17 PM 05-06-2010

Hmmm.... how about 13 year olds?

[Reply]
loki 02:20 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Then just ignore the thread and move along.

There is your ****ing break.
[Reply]
Resipsa 02:22 PM 05-06-2010
Wow. Quite the change in attitude from when Rothisberger was under investigation for rape.
[Reply]
loki 02:24 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Wow. Quite the change in attitude from when Rothisberger was under investigation for rape.
arrested is a little different the investigation...thought you of all people would understand that. If he's cleared I'll be the first to eat my words.
[Reply]
Eleven 02:26 PM 05-06-2010
Just saw him on Donald J. Trump's Fabulous World of Golf...and thought to myself "He still looks like a crack head."

What a shame.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 02:27 PM 05-06-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
Varies from state to state, but FL has something called a "Romeo and Juliet" law that protects you in this very situation.

When I was a teacher, we had to know all about consent laws.

If I remember correctly, AOC in FL is 16, but the older person cannot be older than 25, and cannot be an authority figure in the younger's life. Some examples given in our ethics class of "authority figure" included teacher, pastor/priest, police officer, parole officer, etc.
[Reply]
Resipsa 02:38 PM 05-06-2010
arrested is a little different the investigation...thought you of all people would understand that. If he's cleared I'll be the first to eat my words.
Have no doubt, to anybody who took the time to read the GBI report and look at all of the evidence, there is no question that Rothlisberger raped that woman. They just don't feel they can prove it.........right now.:-)
[Reply]
Resipsa 02:46 PM 05-06-2010
come back and talk to me when there are charges...until then i'll keep celebrating victory in ga day. If it's that clear that he did it, he'd have been charged, clearly it wasn't that clear. I hope you don't do defense law
Why yes, yes I do, :-)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There is a world of difference between what we know and talk about behind closed doors in the judge's chambers, DA's office, etc, and what is disclosed to the public. Just a point of information.

As an example, I was recently involved in a situation where we were discussing something in open court, and the DA blurts out, "I don't think we should be discussing this in open court.", :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 02:47 PM 05-06-2010
I liken this as a bunch of guys sitting around a big table, smoking cigars and having an adult conversation. As long as we don't breech either politic or religion topics, the conversation goes how it goes. I've seen threads stray a lot more off topic than this one. :-)

What a shame. I feel absolutely terrible for the girl. Sad. If guilty, I hope they "throw the book at him".
[Reply]
loki 02:47 PM 05-06-2010

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There is a world of difference between what we know and talk about behind closed doors in the judge's chambers, DA's office, etc, and what is disclosed to the public. Just a point of information.

As an example, I was recently involved in a situation where we were discussing something in open court, and the DA blurts out, "I don't think we should be discussing this in open court.", :-)
well good for you, I'm done with you, and i'm done with this thread.
[Reply]
Mikey202 03:09 PM 05-06-2010
How about they are both scumbags, and wrong for what they did. :-)Regardless of who and what team they play or have played for, money is power, and LT will get a slap on the wrist for this, just like Roethlisburger did. The list goes on and on. Glass houses and all...ya know. Didn't a linebacker from the Colts get charged with rape or something, amonth or so ago. Doesn't matter what team....they're all scumbags, and getting off easier than you and me could ever dream of. I luv you all.:-)
[Reply]
Mikey202 03:10 PM 05-06-2010

Didn't Shakespear say something about lawyers/:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up