Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Sports>Masters 2010
longknocker 06:47 PM 04-08-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I got really jaded after the last big strike. I'm sorry, but if you're making millions (hell, even 6 figures) *playing a game,* you have no right to whine about your salary. I honestly don't see how American audiences find soccer boring when many baseball games are much the same: hours of nothing and one or two great plays.
I used to find golf about as exciting as watching paint dry. Then I got into the game, and now I can appreciate the skill and stategy that goes into it. Plus, there's no guaranteed money (sponsorships notwithstanding). If you go out and
stink up the course, you go home early.
Posted via Mobile Device
I Agree, Jeff!:-) Most People Who Can't Stand The Game Have Never Played It. I Have A Drink Bet With My Buddy Who Thinks Tiger Won't Finish In The Top 10. I Think That's Safe For Me!:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:29 PM 04-08-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Tiger's best opening round in the Masters :-)
Originally Posted by floydpink:
and 2 eagles leaving him 2 back. Get the Green Jacket ready.

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I would love to see The Big Easy win. Tiger can pound sand for all I care.
:-)
[Reply]
drob 10:50 PM 04-08-2010
And now the other part of Tiger's game comes into play - intimidation. Except for a select few (and you can count the number of them on one hand), the rest of the field is thinking "after all the crap that has happened, and being off for five months, and three bogies today, he's only 2 strokes back - crap".
[Reply]
longknocker 03:47 AM 04-09-2010
Originally Posted by drob:
And now the other part of Tiger's game comes into play - intimidation. Except for a select few (and you can count the number of them on one hand), the rest of the field is thinking "after all the crap that has happened, and being off for five months, and three bogies today, he's only 2 strokes back - crap".
So True! Tiger Always Has The Intimidation Factor On His Side. Like It Or Not, He Is "The" Most "Mentally Tough" Player Out There. Should Be An Interesting Weekend!:-)
[Reply]
taltos 10:36 AM 04-09-2010
Today it looks like the course has awakened. So far not much movement except for higher scores. Staying at par seems to be a victory. I am still cheering for Tiger since I go by Barkley's comment years ago that he is an athlete and not a role model. I want Tiger just to see that a*hole chairman who called him out in public for being a poor role model have to give him the trophy. Otherwise I could easily live with either Watson or Couples hanging in there.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:25 AM 04-09-2010
Last night when I could not sleep, I turned on highlights from the Masters. I went to sleep like a baby after warm milk. :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 11:51 AM 04-09-2010
Originally Posted by drob:
Tiger's intimidation factor is not what it used to be. He has proven to be beatable and the few tour players that have the walnuts to say so have said it. I don't think Anthony Kim would back down from a Tiger run. Y. E. Yang didn't last year at the Open (or was it the PGA?).
[Reply]
Mugen910 01:42 PM 04-09-2010
Wow Tiger's 3 strokes back from the lead.

I know it's only rnd 2 but wow.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:06 AM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by taltos:
Today it looks like the course has awakened. So far not much movement except for higher scores. Staying at par seems to be a victory. I am still cheering for Tiger since I go by Barkley's comment years ago that he is an athlete and not a role model. I want Tiger just to see that a*hole chairman who called him out in public for being a poor role model have to give him the trophy. Otherwise I could easily live with either Watson or Couples hanging in there.
Tiger is the best player in the world. He was a role model whether he wanted to be or not. Its not his choice. With his status, comes some responsibility. Im not saying he is going to be perfect. But come on, the guy is a loser after what he did. Don't we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere? I don't accept his apology, and I will not fall into the media's love appeal for him. I know there are people that think athletes life's should be kept private. But Im sorry that is just not going to happen. Tiger Woods will always be a loser in my eyes, and I know the majority of golf fans:-)
[Reply]
Eleven 11:17 AM 04-10-2010
Everyone deserves a second chance, even for what Tiger did. If he truly has changed, and learned from what happened, he could go on to be even bigger than before.

I will give him a chance in that respect, but when it comes to winning tournaments, I always wait til after the cut and root for underdogs. Unfortunately for Tiger, he is rarely an underdog so he doesn't get my support!

I thought it was great that Couples and Watson were so far up on the leaderboard. Right about now, I am rooting for Heath Slocum to keep up his amazing start to the 3rd round.
[Reply]
Cigary 04:07 PM 04-10-2010
Being a San Diego native I'm excited to see Phil playing well,,,2 eagles and nearly making a third one in a row. Can you spell HOT?
[Reply]
captain53 04:17 PM 04-10-2010
I got really jaded after the last big strike. I'm sorry, but if you're making millions (hell, even 6 figures) *playing a game,* you have no right to whine about your salary. I honestly don't see how American audiences find soccer boring when many baseball games are much the same: hours of nothing and one or two great plays.
I used to find golf about as exciting as watching paint dry. Then I got into the game, and now I can appreciate the skill and stategy that goes into it. Plus, there's no guaranteed money (sponsorships notwithstanding). If you go out and
stink up the course, you go home early.
Posted via Mobile Device
While it is sponsor money they have huge guarantees and all they have to do is make the cut to collect a large sponsor check. Don't kid yourself they are just like every other pro athelete Except they don't even need to show up every week to make big $. I know of no other sport paying Millions of $ to players that only come play when they want to.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:57 PM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
While it is sponsor money they have huge guarantees and all they have to do is make the cut to collect a large sponsor check. Don't kid yourself they are just like every other pro athelete Except they don't even need to show up every week to make big $. I know of no other sport paying Millions of $ to players that only come play when they want to.
The only guys making millions on the PGA Tour are the proven players. Somebody like Ricky Barnes sure doesn't have that kind of deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 07:48 PM 04-10-2010
The only guys making millions on the PGA Tour are the proven players. Somebody like Ricky Barnes sure doesn't have that kind of deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) The "Average" PGA Player Has To Perform Every Week Or He Doesn't Get Paid. There's No Other Sport Like It In That Respect.:-)

Go Phil!:-)
[Reply]
captain53 07:54 PM 04-10-2010
Like I said don't kid yourself:

Just 20 years ago, Curtis Strange became the first golfer to win $1 million in a season. In 2007, 158 players passed that milestone: 99 on the PGA Tour, 15 on the Champions Tour, seven LPGA Tour players and 37 from assorted tours

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2...#ixzz0kkfAeD5y

In 2007 Jeff Overton was #99 on the tour and made over $1 million. Number 20 made $9.1 million and number 50 made $2.7 million

Who knows what Ricky Barnes makes he is barely good enough to stay on the tour and does not regularly even make the cut.
[Reply]
Cigary 07:55 PM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
:-) The "Average" PGA Player Has To Perform Every Week Or He Doesn't Get Paid. There's No Other Sport Like It In That Respect.:-)

Go Phil!:-)
You got this right. I have a friend of mine who use to caddy for some of the big boys and all the caddies talk about money. You don't make the cut you don't make diddley because you are spending it to stay in cheesy hotels and gas money and truck driver cantinas. You are there days before the tournaments so you are spending money every day and it gets pretty expensive. If you are lucky enough to get sponsered it's only because you are in the top 20...the rest are having to live on relatives and saved up money they are using when they work at local courses.
[Reply]
captain53 06:21 AM 04-11-2010
Originally Posted by Cigary:
You got this right. I have a friend of mine who use to caddy for some of the big boys and all the caddies talk about money. You don't make the cut you don't make diddley because you are spending it to stay in cheesy hotels and gas money and truck driver cantinas. You are there days before the tournaments so you are spending money every day and it gets pretty expensive. If you are lucky enough to get sponsered it's only because you are in the top 20...the rest are having to live on relatives and saved up money they are using when they work at local courses.
10 years ago maybe but not today.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:28 PM 04-11-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fKHiL8nIw

Wow Tiger, you do suck:-)
[Reply]
Kreth 12:32 PM 04-11-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fKHiL8nIw

Wow Tiger, you do suck:-)
Wish my game was good enough to get pissed about hitting the wrong part of the green. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
captain53 12:34 PM 04-11-2010
Wish my game was good enough to get pissed about hitting the wrong part of the green. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up