Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Storage overkill. How many gigs you got?
Mugen910 10:37 AM 03-25-2010
my stuff:
1x 1.5 external
3x 160gig external
1x 200gb internal

then my brother and I also have another 3TB in the house.

It's amazing how fast HD movie and HD videos can fill up your storage.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:14 PM 03-25-2010
1 TB on the desktop and a 320 GB external for back-up.
[Reply]
J0eybb 12:17 PM 03-25-2010
2TB here
[Reply]
shooter21489 12:24 PM 03-25-2010
I'm only at 1 TB right now, but that's for my backup tower. My main computer is my lappy, only 150 gig, mostly music... and world of warcraft.... Planning on getting me a mac this summer.
[Reply]
Resipsa 12:59 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I just swapped out a couple 300gb hdd's with a couple 1.5tb platters in my main rig. There's two more 200gb platters and another pair of 300gb platters in that machine for a total of 4tb now. I think that should do for awhile.
I did it because, as ridiculous as it sounds, 1.6tb was never enough.
I use the second drives of the same position as backups, in case one of my drives flakes.
The reason I mention this is that I have the same problem with my computer as my cigars. Never enough space.
How many gigs in your rig?
Originally Posted by kgoings:
I have 4.something TB but it is setup in raid so I only really have 2TB of storage...I need more. Doing photography eats up storage...plus I rip a copy of all my DVD's when I get them...my kids are always scratching or losing my stuff!
2TB's, but I'm not mirroring the drives so that's pure storage space. I know, I'll be sorry if something fails, but I still have a burned hard copy of the movies, just start all over again.

I've got a wireless network set up to stream music and movies throughout the house, so I rip full ISO's of all my movies onto the network, and all of my music is on there as well. Then I create a main movie for either transfer or streaming to my iphone.

At 6-7 GB per ISO a TB doesn't get you very far. If I ever get a blu ray drive for the computer and start ripping blu rays on to the network I'm going to need a lot more space, :-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:44 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
2TB's, but I'm not mirroring the drives so that's pure storage space. I know, I'll be sorry if something fails, but I still have a burned hard copy of the movies, just start all over again.

I've got a wireless network set up to stream music and movies throughout the house, so I rip full ISO's of all my movies onto the network, and all of my music is on there as well. Then I create a main movie for either transfer or streaming to my iphone.

At 6-7 GB per ISO a TB doesn't get you very far. If I ever get a blu ray drive for the computer and start ripping blu rays on to the network I'm going to need a lot more space, :-):-)
I'm already imagining another pair of 1.5tb platters, Vic.
Today I set up started moving files so I can stream orb to my xbox and iphones and dvd players properly.
I should really have my head examined.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 02:01 PM 03-25-2010
Desktop: 1TB
File Server*: 2 * 500GB drives in Raid 1 mirror
Media Server: 2 * 1.5TBd drives + 2 * 1TB drives combined via LVM to present as a single 5TB lun
---------------
total: 6TB of functional storage

I also have a pair of 500GB external drives that I use for backing up all the machines on my home network as well as the important file shares (ie. not the media server). I store one of the externals in my desk at work and rotate them every 2 weeks to maintain offsite backups in case of a disaster or total theft at my house.

Bluray rips and HD tv shows eat amazing amount of storage space even when they are compressed down as MKV's. 2TB drives are really dropping in price now so I expect I'll probably pick up 4 (8TB total) at some point this year. 2 of the those drives will replace the pair of 1 TB drives in the media server and the other 2 will simply to be added to the media server's LMV lun increasing it's size to 11TB. The pair of 1TB drives coming out of the media server will then replace the mirrored 500GB drives in the file server.

Drive space is a never ending battle made possible by the ever falling cost of storage......
[Reply]
systm 02:06 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
Currently have 500GB internal 500GB external and building a 4TB NAS to work with my Desktop and my Media Center
You Should check out freeNas its a great server system, and very easy to set up.
Only about 750GBs across all machines, but I need to get a 1TB to start backing up videos to my server/mpd box.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 02:08 PM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Look into DVDShrink for your DVD collection and strip out all the menu's, extra features etc. and you should be able to get them down to about 4GB per iso. For bluray it makes much more sense to rip to MKV and either get a set-top box like a Popcorn Hour or a media PC to play them. A standard 1080p movie ripped to MKV ranges from is about 9GB to 12GB. Raw bluray rips are in the 45GB range :-)

Originally Posted by systm:
You Should check out freeNas its a great server system, and very easy to set up.
Only about 750GBs across all machines, but I need to get a 1TB to start backing up videos to my server/mpd box.
The major downfall with freeNas is it's lack of expandability. Once you create an array you can't expand it or add additional drives to it without loosing all your data.
[Reply]
Jason 02:51 PM 03-25-2010
2.5tb but it's across 6 devices, storage is cheap and I save everything
[Reply]
jledou 02:55 PM 03-25-2010
250 GB plus and external 320 GB. I am actually needing to grab a new 1tb to slap into the desktop but as soon as I do I know it will be full. At least this way I am forced to delete things.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:32 PM 03-25-2010
How many gigs? Just this one :-)

Or does that count as two?
[Reply]
GTCanuk 03:55 PM 03-25-2010
1 TB here plus a couple of externals 320 G and a 250
[Reply]
KenS 04:24 PM 03-25-2010
500 GB Internal
48GB ExpressCard SSD
2TB External FW800
2 x 500GB External USB 2.0
Plus a Sharkoon QuickPort Combo for quick connecting various internal drives I have hanging around.

Overall, 4+ TB.

Lots o' backups!!
[Reply]
shilala 06:49 PM 03-25-2010
I've managed to get all my stuff moved and two of three hdd's backed up.
Now I can defrag my boot and see if things snap along a bit better. Then I'm gonna start hogging them full of crap I don't need, so I can stream stuff all over that I'll never watch. It'll be incredibly cool for about five minutes though. :-)
[Reply]
Brilliant 07:02 PM 03-25-2010
I have a whole house server that backs up three computers, so you are not alone.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:35 PM 03-25-2010
Scott - apparently we have a bunch of amateurs here :-)

This box has 4.7 tb at the moment. But that can change at any time as I have a Blac X Duet that I can hot swap any of the 3.5 tb worth of drives sitting here on my desk.

The box right next to this one (used as a server) has 3.5 tb currently that I will be adding another 1.5 or 2 tb drive to shortly (have 4 320gig drives that are full of MP3's that need to be combined on one drive).

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
shilala 07:37 AM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Scott - apparently we have a bunch of amateurs here :-)

This box has 4.7 tb at the moment. But that can change at any time as I have a Blac X Duet that I can hot swap any of the 3.5 tb worth of drives sitting here on my desk.

The box right next to this one (used as a server) has 3.5 tb currently that I will be adding another 1.5 or 2 tb drive to shortly (have 4 320gig drives that are full of MP3's that need to be combined on one drive).

:-)

Ron
You're kickin my butt, Ron. I only have 120gb of mp3's and flac. I'm gonna load up, though. :-)
[Reply]
Cyclone 12:55 PM 04-08-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Desktop: 1TB
File Server*: 2 * 500GB drives in Raid 1 mirror
Media Server: 2 * 1.5TBd drives + 2 * 1TB drives combined via LVM to present as a single 5TB lun
---------------
total: 6TB of functional storage

2 of the those drives will replace the pair of 1 TB drives in the media server and the other 2 will simply to be added to the media server's LMV lun increasing it's size to 11TB. The pair of 1TB drives coming out of the media server will then replace the mirrored 500GB drives in the file server.

Drive space is a never ending battle made possible by the ever falling cost of storage......
Hey Geoff,

What are you using for your media server?

Save me a trip to Google: what is LMV? :-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 01:07 PM 04-08-2010
1TB
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up