Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Census 2010
JaKaacH 06:56 PM 03-22-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
While I agree that some of the ? are none of their beeswax, if you don't answer them, they'll pester you until you do, either by calling or visiting. Why do you think they hired all those workers- to go after those that don't fill out their forms or don't answer all the questions- by knocking on doors. Frankly, the questions really didn't bother me all that much- not like ten years ago when you got sent a book and they asked you about the number of bathrooms in your house and other stuff that REALLY had nothing to do with a census.

So, to avoid further contact, I'd suggest to swallow hard and just fill it out and send it in.

PS: I know that there are plenty of folks that are talking about what you "legally" have to answer etc, etc, but, bottom line, to avoid further contact with these people you might just as well answer the questions and be done with it.
I can hang up or not answer the door...OR...Ohh I don't live here I'm the house sitter. They are vacationing in Monte Carlo for the summer...:-)
[Reply]
forgop 07:06 PM 03-22-2010
I just bought a new house-what's the penalty for filling it out twice? :-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 07:40 PM 03-22-2010
Don't get over-excited about the census...just fill it out...the information in it is kept by the government and is used to apportion government funds to your local districts...furthermore the census is not made public for 72 years...I've been doing some research on my ancesters and have access to the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census's...I won't be albe to access the 1940 census for another two years...and all you see when you access the older ones is the name and address of the resident's, their age's and very little else...the early ones asked if the children were in school and if they could read and write...they used that for federal funding for the schools...the 1930 census shows my grandmother and grandfather, and my mother at age 8, and my aunt at age 4...it's really no biggie...
[Reply]
T.G 07:53 PM 03-22-2010
Not to point out the obvious here, but if you have a passport the government already knows the answers to most or all of the things you don't want to fill out on the census form, so you might as well just fill them in and not attention to yourself.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:39 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
Seriously? You're willing to leave the country over having to answer how many people are in your house?
:-)

No.
I suppose after reading what I wrote, it could in fact be taken that way too.

What I meant is we use to have to walk around with documents and offer them up to the government at any request, at any time.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:41 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
I can hang up or not answer the door...OR...Ohh I don't live here I'm the house sitter. They are vacationing in Monte Carlo for the summer...:-)
I told my wife the same thing.
She wants me to just fill it out and not have them hound us.
Me on the other hand, I like a challenge.
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:57 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
LOL. They sound like Thompsons Cigars. FWIW, I'm glad I am not employed by them. I really wouldn't like pestering them.
MJ...spit my drink out on that. Ironic that it is so true. :-) :-) Those yahoos at Thompson continue to call me cell every week...and this is after repeated calls to them in which "in not to kind words" told them to LOSE my number.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:00 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Well next they'll want to know how many firearms you have in your household.
I will never give that information to them. None of their business.
[Reply]
Blueface 07:19 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I will never give that information to them. None of their business.
Hey,
If they add that question and you don't answer, $100 fine.
If enough folks don't answer it, increase the fine to $500 next time and more revenue.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:23 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Not to point out the obvious here, but if you have a passport the government already knows the answers to most or all of the things you don't want to fill out on the census form, so you might as well just fill them in and not attention to yourself.

It's our government! What's not to trust???:-)
[Reply]
jkim05 07:25 AM 03-23-2010
I don't get what the problem is. Why wouldn't you just fill it out? Is this information really that sensitive?
[Reply]
tsolomon 07:26 AM 03-23-2010
The data that is being collected by the Cenus Bureau is to help determine your representation in Congress and they can't do that unless you have been counted. The data is protected under Title 13 and can only be used for statistical purposes. Title 13 is very specific about confidentiality of all your information that is collected and there are penalities for disclosure.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/privacy/index.php

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/wh...titutional.php
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:33 AM 03-23-2010
I filled mine out!!!

Now I'm just waiting for my Thompsons Cigar Catalog!!!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:35 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
My wife went ahead and filled it out. She didn't want these guys coming and knocking on our door. I had suggested she put "other" for "race" and write in "American" but again, she just wanted to get it over with and not have to deal with people calling her or knocking on her door.

So, if you don't fill it out, you'll be pestered until they get their answers.
I checked "other" for race, and wrote "human."

I could get into the theology of it, but I won't. Instead, I'll get simple.

As long as this country continues to make the divisive distinctions, "racisim" (sic) will continue in this country. If we want to talk about ethnic origins, great - that'd make me a Bohemian-German, it'd make my wife German, and my kids are even less Bohemian than I am. You know what, there is no option for that on the census. Why not? I'm supposed to choose white? I'm not white! Compare my skin color to white, and it doesn't match - in the summer, it matches even less.

Personally, I am an American - a native born American - for the last 3 generations. Can I write native American? Let's face it, anybody here today had ancestors that migrated to this content at some point in the past, some longer ago that others. So, there are no true "native Americans."

I have a couple African American friends whose ancestors came over to this country long before mine did, when do they become fully Americans.

I get together with my friends Jim, Steve, and Dave. We sit down to watch the Packer game with our cigars and drinks of choice. We're all Americans, but we have a multitude of different traits. We have different eye colors, shape of noses, different hair color (curly or not), ear lobes may dangle or be attached, long or short nose, dark skinned, light skinned, etc...

As long as the differences are continually pointed out, there will be "racism" (sic).

You appreciate me for who I am, and I'll appreciate you for who you are. But the race baiting in the census form is for the birds. This is the second census I filled out that way. I encourage you to follow suit.

Mark "other" and write in "human."

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
PitmanGeek 07:44 AM 03-23-2010
The only information they should need is "how many people live at this residence" which is all I filled out. I'm sure if they get ahold of my wife, they'll get all the information they want (and then some), but all I can do is try.
[Reply]
floydpink 07:52 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Well next they'll want to know how many firearms you have in your household.
Totally different topic, but I often wonder if "they" know you carry a concealed weapon permit by running your license plate number at a traffic stop.

I offer the info myself as a precaution and rarely get in a traffic stop anyway.

I heard on the radio a discussion about how EVERY email or phone conversation you are involved with CAN be checked by the government.

Obviously the don't listen to every conversation or read every email, but apparantly there are certain words that trip an alarm. Probably stuff like "jihad" and stuff like that.

As for the census, I don't mind filling it out because it might help the school funding in my area.
[Reply]
Blueface 08:03 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:

As for the census, I don't mind filling it out because it might help the school funding in my area.
Pete,
My question is how does you name and date of birth and phone number for contact help school funding?

My point is while that information may be harmless at the end of the day, what can possibly be added to it 10 years from now and be subject to a fine if you don't answer it?

I guess my hang up is why not send me a census, to my address, that asks for limited information about each person living in my home?

Questions asked:
1) Last name, First name of every resident. Don't think they need that other than for the owner of the home, residing there, as it would appear in the tax records.
2) How is the person related to you? Doesn't bother me to answer this one.
3) What is the person's sex? Doesn't bother me either.
4) What is the person's age and date of birth? Second part bothers me. Why do they need that at all?
5) Is this person Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish? Then if Hispanic, are you Mexican, Puerto Rican or Cuban? As a Cuban, this PISSES me off. Why don't they ask for other nationalities? Why Hispanics only? Why doesn't it ask about other Hispanics in this country like the masses of Venezuelans, Colombians, Nicaraguans and on and on and on?
6) What is the person's race? Can live with that one.
7) Does this person live or stay somewhere else? Well aholes, if you just asked about this person living in your household, why the hell ask if they live somewhere else? I guess we need to spend our money on identifying ALL college kids studying away from home. Important to spend money on figuring that one out.

This thing is stupid!
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:09 AM 03-23-2010
Totally different topic, but I often wonder if "they" know you carry a concealed weapon permit by running your license plate number at a traffic stop...
In Ohio the officer knows. My buddy is a cop and I asked him to run my info. On the screen when they run the plate it says "Concealed Weapons Permit" or something like that.

In Ohio, you have to notify the officer no matter what. Some guy hit me on the highway a couple years ago and when the officer approached me, the first thing I said is "Officer, I have to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit and I am armed. Do you have any instructions for me" He said I was fine b/c he doesn't have to worry about CCW holders. It is the criminals he has to worry about that don't tell him.
[Reply]
makalu 08:21 AM 03-23-2010
I am sure that the Americans of Japanese descent in US concentration camps during WWII also thought their answers to the 1930 and 40 census would also not be an issue after all they were Americans right. How the Census Bureau was involved in the illegal detention of these innocent Americans is widely documented and a matter of fact not theory. I for one am going to practice an American tradition of civil disobedience and choose to not to participate. I care nothing if they knock on my door, the first time they will be politely asked to leave, and after that if they come back I will not be as polite.
[Reply]
G G 08:41 AM 03-23-2010
Totally different topic, but I often wonder if "they" know you carry a concealed weapon permit by running your license plate number at a traffic stop.
They don't in Florida, but some states they do know. Florida doesn't have it tied to your DL yet. And you don't have to offer the info if you are stopped, but you can't lie if they ask.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up