Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Question for bird owners with cats
pnoon 12:47 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by gibson_es:
thanks for the welcom darrell, i hope you try puff again. if not. thats ok. your one of few good men on here.
You can take him with you if you'd like. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 12:52 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
I've seen a cat jump on top of a fridge before. :-) All depends on the motivation of the cat.
:-) One of ours sits on top of the fridge so she can look out the kitchen window.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:56 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
You can take him with you if you'd like. :-)
I think I will stick around, thanks for the thought. :-)
[Reply]
cbsmokin 01:01 PM 02-26-2010
I think you should get some mice as well. Maybe they will distract the cat from the bird.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 01:26 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
I think you should get some mice as well. Maybe they will distract the cat from the bird.
:-)
[Reply]
Darrell 10:16 PM 02-26-2010

[Reply]
Skywalker 10:24 PM 02-26-2010
That cage is awesome!!!

It looks like your face!!!

"Pretty Bird! Pretty Bird!"

I hope his head doesn't fall off!!!
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 01:03 PM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
D, I had hundreds of birds at one time. Lots of cats, too.
Not once did any of the cats ever harm a bird, but it's because I always took time to introduce the cats to the birds.
Cats are really smart, despite the way they act. Just bring the cat to the bird, introduce them, make them friendly, and spend time with the cat and bird together.
Oddly enough, my cats knew the difference between the birds they were allowed to kill and the birds they weren't allowed to kill. I had a black cat that spent all day sleeping with my golden pheasants, hanging in the netting like a hammock.
I watched another one of my cats hunting tweety birds one day. She was totally intense. She bolted at the tweety bird when a mother hen and her chicks walked by. The cat put on the brakes, watched the hen and all her babies pass, then resumed the chase.
How they can make the distinction, I'll never know, but they do.
Just take some time with both of them together, and let the cat smell the bird and lick it and rub on it and stuff.
Don't try it with a rabbit, though. Doesn't work. :-)
I have done this with every bird/cat I have owned....it works. It changes the cats thought process--instead of potential food---to family member (pack member). My cats just loose interest in the bird in the hunting and eating way.
[Reply]
BigFrank 01:22 PM 02-27-2010
Get rid of the cat...Get another dog. Problem solved.
[Reply]
RGD. 07:47 PM 02-27-2010
As the owner of a 9 year old Cockatiel, make sure you acclimate the bird and dog(s) also. It only takes one quick snap and it's all over. I would sit on the floor with JoJo and have the dogs near me so they could see that he was family member and held a position of being allowed on me. Of course for quite awhile they had that look of what the hell is that thing doing in the house. Eventually they accepted him and his flying.

We did have one event where he was on the floor investigating something in the hallway into my office when they both came in from outside and came barreling into the office. There was a lot of squawking and a few startled yelps along with ruffled feathers. I didn't see it but am guessing a trampling took place that didn't please JoJo at all and he showed them as much - LOL. Both dogs ended up under my desk hiding.

And of course he screws with them. He has learned to mimic the whistles that we use to call them. He will do that and then pretty much laugh at them in bird laugh when they come running. Tons of fun.

Enjoy your new family member.

Ron
[Reply]
bobarian 08:09 PM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
Get rid of the cat...Get another dog. Problem solved.
:-) Let the cat watch you cleaning your Glock!:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up