Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>I think I f%cked up
bobarian 03:04 PM 02-24-2010
One thing is for sure, dont mope around. Sharpen that resume and pound the pavement. A good salesman can sell anything so think outside the box. Good luck.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 03:06 PM 02-24-2010
Well.... They call them Life Lessons for a reason. Now's the time to take stock in what's what, and move forward from here. See what options you have available to you and remember that pride doesn't put food in your stomach. If you have to flip burgers untill something better comes along try to remember the fact that better men have probably done worse for less.

Good luck and hopefully it will be a one time oops with little consequences.

Cigar Choice: The best I had in my humidor to make the memory/lesson a keeper.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 03:11 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Swallow your pride, and beg for your job back.
Originally Posted by bleedingshrimp:
Done...mission unsuccessful.
The only thing I can offer at this point is "good luck"...if nothing else, you can probably drive a taxi...I used to do that between computer contracts when times were tough...
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 03:18 PM 02-24-2010
Put in about 30 resumes today so far! A momentary lapse in reason, and poor judgment on my part however is agreed.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 03:19 PM 02-24-2010
One thing I feel blessed with is that my wife has a good job and we have no kids. We didn't reach out of our range with our home either.
[Reply]
Silound 03:21 PM 02-24-2010
The fairest advice I can offer is what was already said: Don't quit unless you have something else lined up.

Don't let people here scare you, the job market is not as bad as it seems. unemployment is high, but if you look at the breakdowns, there's no shortage of jobs paying 8-12 $/hr (essentially college student type jobs) that you can pick up to fill some gaps. People are unwilling to take them for some reason. You can make 30k+ a year working two part timers or working as a server at a decent restaurant.

There's plenty of money to be made out there, most people don't know where to look or how.

General tip for anyone who may be interested: Brinker Corporation pays assistant managers at Chili's anywhere from 35-55k a year depending on the store location and how it performs. I know several people who got jobs as waiters (you can make good money doing that if you're good and work hard) with Chili's and became managers after less than 2 years because they had the will and ethic to work for it. It's a job, but it pays well.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 03:25 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Silound:
The fairest advice I can offer is what was already said: Don't quit unless you have something else lined up.

Don't let people here scare you, the job market is not as bad as it seems. unemployment is high, but if you look at the breakdowns, there's no shortage of jobs paying 8-12 $/hr (essentially college student type jobs) that you can pick up to fill some gaps. People are unwilling to take them for some reason. You can make 30k+ a year working two part timers or working as a server at a decent restaurant.

There's plenty of money to be made out there, most people don't know where to look or how.

General tip for anyone who may be interested: Brinker Corporation pays assistant managers at Chili's anywhere from 35-55k a year depending on the store location and how it performs. I know several people who got jobs as waiters (you can make good money doing that if you're good and work hard) with Chili's and became managers after less than 2 years because they had the will and ethic to work for it. It's a job, but it pays well.
Thanks! Checked the website, nothing in my area but I signed up for notification if there is an opening. I do have management background.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 03:27 PM 02-24-2010
Anyone need a freelance cigar tester? I will test your Arganese, Gurkha, and bundle 'gars to ensure safety for human consumption!!!
[Reply]
Mugen910 03:30 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Silound:

:-) It all depends on what type of job you are willing to take and paycut if needed.
[Reply]
Silound 03:35 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by bleedingshrimp:
Thanks! Checked the website, nothing in my area but I signed up for notification if there is an opening. I do have management background.
Check out Lowes then as well. Around here, they're hiring people with 2+ years of management experience. Last I checked, they pay 50-60k a year for store mangers.

Come think of it, I'd check Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and any other large store.
[Reply]
captain53 04:05 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
From what youre telling me about your current financial status, I would recommend a cigar you got for free.

Never quit a job until youve got another job lined up.
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
junkinduck 05:39 PM 02-24-2010
Several sucessful people I know did what you have done either by there choice or the bosses. Some of those people are now 6figure consultants. At least you have a stream of income in the house and no little mouths to feed. Find something your are pasionate about and life will be much more rewarding. I count myself as being lucky in this respect. Other advice from one of my stints of unemployment. Cancel all things not necessary like cell phone, cable, and if your car payment straps you sell it. Be proactive and no reactive. For sale signs are cheep and they will make more tomorrow.
My prayers will be with you.
Don't let em get you down.

cigar, get used to somthing cheep and save the good one to celibrate your success.
[Reply]
blugill 06:34 PM 02-24-2010
How about taking the opportunity that you created and go back to school to learn to do something you really want to do.

What's done is done now and no sense crying over it. A job will be hard to come by so educate yourself with all of that new found time on your hands. By the time you are out of school perhaps the job market will pick back up again!
[Reply]
The Postman 08:17 PM 02-24-2010
Good Luck brother, I commend you for having the nerve to step out and now you have the chance to try something different. Sure, it may not be easy for a while, but at least your needs are being met in the short term.
[Reply]
skyhigh340 08:22 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Sage advice there. I am often asked to do things I don't like or want to do, but never refuse reasonable requests and have gone as far as working phone leads, which I hate, but will do if needed, as well as work holidays.

If they ask me to come in and work in panties and fishnet stockings, I draw the line. Besides that, there is little I won't do, although my pay makes it hard to turn many requests down.

This Christmas, I hugged my daughter as she opened her presents and hurried into work and was recieved by a very grateful boss.

In this work and atmosphere and economy, nobody is hard to replace in a hurry with someone thrilled to do the job.

If this were me, the last thing on my mind would be a cigar unless I had someone to cover my mortgage.
Now that was a mental pic I didn't need!:-)

On a serious note...If you think it was a mistake leaving it probably was...I would think about asking for your job back. If that works I would keep doing the job while I looked for another.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 09:13 PM 02-24-2010
Well, the bridge has been burnt, the boat has sailed, and the shore is far behind me. I decided on a Monte No.4, the first cigar of my only unopened box. I found it fitting, new beginnings and all. Thanks for the kind words and the kicks in the ass, both were needed and well appreciated.
[Reply]
Starscream 06:45 PM 02-25-2010
Originally Posted by humidorguy:
Dan I'll go against the grain here and say you will probably end up better off.
No job is worth killing yourself with stress over. I have been there and am glad I left when I did and things worked out just fine. But you should have had a job lined up first.. But what the heck you probably won't die from this lesson.
:-)
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
Well this could either be the best thing you've ever done, or the worst, depending on what you do next. Just because the job market sucks right now doesn't mean there aren't opportunities. Set a goal for yourself, and work like hell till you get there. Good luck.
:-)

I probably wouldn't have quit, but me going door to door is one of those things that I just am not cut out to do either. I absolutely hate doing that kind of work. Hope you find something that is satisfying to you very soon.
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 11:50 AM 02-26-2010
This is going too sound repetitive, but, it is never wise too leave a job without something new on the horizon...however, that being said, anyone willing too look for a job right now, regardless the pride/pay cuts involved, are able too find them. Another place too look, and if you are willing too become friends with the phone...I made six-figures selling Men's Clothing for Neiman Marcus...however, at the time, the economy was in a better place, in fact the recession was still months away when I left too move on. I started out at your basic department stores, got into fashion, and was recruited up the ladder, so to say, by Neiman Marcus. Even at a Macy's, in a halfway decent market, working on commission, taking care of every whim your customers have, you could easily make $40k again....even more. The biggest trick though, when on straight commission, budgeting for the lean months like February, July, and October, is very key...you may make $7k a week in December...but you most likely won't in February...
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 05:01 PM 02-26-2010
good luck, man. from someone who was the victim of a workforce reduction last year, i hope you find something soon!
[Reply]
ucla695 05:16 PM 02-26-2010
Hey Dan, hang in there. Although this ship might have sailed, there are others in the harbor and those that will come in that will carry you further than the one you just got off. Patience and Persistence are key.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up