Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>I made someone's Christmas...
Blueface 05:25 PM 12-15-2009
This reminds me of my first apartment.

Money from our "cash" drawer in our bedroom was missing on a weekly basis.
$20 here and there.
The wife thought I took it, I thought she took it.
She thought I miscounted, I thought she miscounted.
Finally, we set them up.
Turns out the rat bastard superintendent was going into apartments during the day when all were at work.
He is the only one that had an extra key.

I changed the locks immediately and never told him and never gave him a key.
He never asked.
Money never disappeared ever again.
Eventually, I moved out when my one year lease was up.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:28 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by Dunkel:
Put in a camera pointing at a new humidor with cigars in it. Catch them on film ,get them fired, and contact the police.
Not a bad idea.
You can get them as cheap as $149-$200 that are wireless and record directly to a computer. You can even view them live on an iPhone or smart phone.
However, I would rather just change the lock and not risk losing anything else.

Joe,
If you are interested in a good source for the surveillance equipment, give me a shout.
I use one not too far from you in Ft. Lauderdale, near 595.
[Reply]
coastietech 05:30 PM 12-15-2009
Alright just got done with everything...

They sent an officer out and he took a report. He told me it's not the first time he's been out to this complex for similar reports (stolen good without any forced entry) He took all my information and told me he would contact me if he found something out. He basically told me to keep an eye out on craiglist and similar sites to see if I see my stuff up for sale.

I used to have renters insurance but when I move to FL the price sky rocketed and since I didn't have the all the camera gear or a large amount of guns I didn't get it. Gonna have to look into getting it.

Bought new locks and I'm gonna change them tonight. I have the maintenance guys in and out doing work all the time, the kids tend to break stuff left and right, so they have definitely had the opportunity. I have been here for about a year and this is the first time I've ever had any issues with anything like this.
[Reply]
TFULLERY 05:38 PM 12-15-2009
Bother, sorry to hear about your loss! this is truly a crime most vile.:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
longknocker 05:43 PM 12-15-2009
So Sorry To Hear That, Joe.:-) Hope They Catch The Thief, Brother.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:43 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
Alright just got done with everything...

They sent an officer out and he took a report. He told me it's not the first time he's been out to this complex for similar reports (stolen good without any forced entry) He took all my information and told me he would contact me if he found something out. He basically told me to keep an eye out on craiglist and similar sites to see if I see my stuff up for sale.

I used to have renters insurance but when I move to FL the price sky rocketed and since I didn't have the all the camera gear or a large amount of guns I didn't get it. Gonna have to look into getting it.

Bought new locks and I'm gonna change them tonight. I have the maintenance guys in and out doing work all the time, the kids tend to break stuff left and right, so they have definitely had the opportunity. I have been here for about a year and this is the first time I've ever had any issues with anything like this.
Where you are, renter's insurance should run you between $300 and $400 a year. Well worth the money.
If you are going to have these guys back in and out in the future, I would look into an undetectable hidden camera and have it burn to a hardrive. Complete set up can be had under $300. Next time, you will have them red handed.

What a pain. I feel for you as have been there.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:44 PM 12-15-2009
Does the apartment complex have log of the people who do the maintenance and when they are in and out of each apartment? :-)

Sorry for the bad luck :-)
[Reply]
acruce 05:46 PM 12-15-2009
Set up video camera in your apartment
[Reply]
coastietech 05:51 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Does the apartment complex have log of the people who do the maintenance and when they are in and out of each apartment? :-)

Sorry for the bad luck :-)

They do... and typically they will leave a notice saying they were there and why they were there and it includes their name and what service they performed.

The office manager so adamantly denies that her staff couldn't have done this because there wasn't anything in the "log" saying someone entered my apt. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:57 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:

The office manager so adamantly denies that her staff couldn't have done this because there wasn't anything in the "log" saying someone entered my apt. :-)
The office manager needs to get their head out of the sand, that is one of the most naive things I have read in quite a while.
[Reply]
AD720 06:03 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
The office manager needs to get their head out of the sand, that is one of the most naive things I have read in quite a while.
:-)

4th or 5th on the renters insurance sugestion...our's is like $20 a month...so worth it.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:15 PM 12-15-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Agreed. Maybe you should tell her what the cop told you.
A couple of low cost options:
Post a flyer at your complex. Something like "You stole my stuff. I have you on video. Turn yourself in or I will."
When you get new humis, lace a couple of cigars with something fun like ipecac syrup. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:31 PM 12-15-2009
That is terrible. Thieves make me very angry :-) Then on top of it the manager of the place is obviously an idiot. You cannot disrespect a man more then by ripping him off.
[Reply]
G G 06:34 PM 12-15-2009
Sorry to hear that bro.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 06:47 PM 12-15-2009
Dang, sorry to hear about that Joe. Hey look at the bright side, at least that's all they took. Sorry pal.
[Reply]
secretsquirrel 07:38 PM 12-15-2009
that sucks man. thiefs are scum man!:-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:06 PM 12-15-2009
I hate thieves... Sorry to hear about your loss brother.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 09:48 PM 12-15-2009
Nothing worse than a thief.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:57 PM 12-15-2009
Sorry to hear about this Joe.
[Reply]
eber 10:01 PM 12-15-2009
that sucks man, hope they get what they deserve
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >