Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>The Paddling Thread
Cigargal 10:22 AM 06-25-2009
Our lake is so dry we don't have a marina this summer so it looks like the kayaks are going to see some action. We plan on putting them in the water 4th of July weekend and after I get back from Socal a few fishing trips are in the works. I get some pictures.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:11 AM 06-26-2009
Been Paddling since 95.
Bought 3 Kiwi Kopapas and those are the ones we still use today. They don't look as pretty as when new, but I've taken them on everything from flat water to rambling rivers up to classIII and they have always handled great (though ya can't get em to eskimo:-))
I've got some pics around here somewhere and will post a few when I find em:-)
[Reply]
zonedar 09:01 AM 06-27-2009
Here are a few photo links from our trip. The whole album is at http://photobucket.com/rogue_2009

The boats at Lower Mule Creek Camp

Some outfitter making 'The Move' at Blossom Bar

Dave, Dewey, Jim, Mick, and Rick discussing the finer points of various lines through Blossom Bar.

Lisa (my love), laughing in the face of danger.

Settling in for a hearty breakfast on the layover day.
[Reply]
zonedar 09:01 AM 06-27-2009
One more:

Yours truly pulling on the oars through some slack water near Battle Bar.
[Reply]
Steve 10:06 AM 06-27-2009
Looks like a great trip!

I am so ready to get ou on the water again! I lead a trip earlier this summer, and keep hoping to get out again. I'm just going to have to take my own advice and "just go!"
[Reply]
Steve 10:09 AM 06-27-2009
A favorite picture from a past canoe trip...

Oops, a repost. oh well. I still love it :-)
[Reply]
Steve 10:20 AM 06-27-2009
Another couple...

North Withlacoochee River

Chassahowitzka River
[Reply]
zonedar 11:55 AM 06-27-2009
Originally Posted by steve:
A favorite picture from a past canoe trip...

Oops, a repost. oh well. I still love it :-)

She's a cutie. Can see why you like it so much!
[Reply]
ucla695 02:10 PM 06-27-2009
My buddy has a couple of sit on tops and it's a great way to explore Newport/Huntington harbors. Not to mention the CA coastline and our excursion around Catalina!! :-)
[Reply]
Steve 02:38 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by zonedar:
One more:

Yours truly pulling on the oars through some slack water near Battle Bar.
I see you have a Gerber River Knife on your PFD...does it have a clip on the sheath or a strap loop? I have thought about one for my PFD, but I don't have a lash tab. I figured if it had a "loop" on the back I could just use one of the many nylon straps I have laying around to strap it to the vest.
[Reply]
zonedar 04:51 PM 06-30-2009
The scabbard has a couple of places for some snaps. These snaps have a rather wide base that can be put behind some fabric, with the shaft going through a hole in fabric. The snaps can then be inserted into the scabbard.

I know I'm not being too clear. That being said, one of the snaps failed on me and I replaced it with a zip type cable tie. This works pretty good.

The vest I have has an general purpose attachment point which can be seen in this photo.

I used it and a trademark label that is below the attachment on mine to attach the scabbard to.

It also has a clip, but I don't trust it. Especially the way I have it oriented (upside down)

The wife had to use her's last year on the Middle Fork (for something other than making a sandwich). Had to cut loose a oar that had broke as we were going through Powerhouse.
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:20 AM 07-01-2009
Check this out. Guy kayaks over 186' waterfall for a world record. Nuts.

http://www.wendmag.com/blog/2009/05/...erfall-record/
[Reply]
GhostRyder 03:30 PM 07-01-2009
Sick video on that link. 186 feet is ridiculous.

Went ocean kayaking last summer in Maine for the first time--it was awesome. So, at the Outerbanks in NC a few weeks ago my family rented a kayak (one of the sit on top variety). I figured it was no big deal, I've kayaked on lakes plenty of times... well going out was uneventful, but coming back in was roughhh. My girlfriend was up front (it was a double) and we mistimed one of the waves... broke right on top of us and sent the kayak into a pretty outstanding flip. It stood on its nose (with me still hanging on) while I got gently lifted up and then driven into the sand. My girlfriend cleared the boat before it got too crazy. It was a lot of fun thought, I'd do it again, but not in 4-5 foot swells on my first attempt...
[Reply]
kayaker 06:18 AM 07-05-2009
Great pics and stories, keep it up!:-)

I'm back from my trip. We had a phenomenal trip. Didn't get to paddle all the coastline that we had intended because of high winds and big seas, but we still got to see some amazing sites.

I'll post pictures later. I haven't downloaded them yet.
[Reply]
zonedar 10:52 PM 07-06-2009
A few more that my buddy Andrew took while on the Rogue a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agillig...th/3696905392/
[Reply]
kayaker 05:50 PM 07-07-2009
Hmmm... trying to add some photos here but my images are too big and I can't add links from Facebook. I'll have to resize what I'm going to put up and try again later.
[Reply]
Steve 02:20 PM 07-13-2009
I was digging around some of my old pictures and found this one from way back. Short verion of the long story; Honeymoon Cruise with my new wife, October 1992.

Dang, I looked scary back then!

Long story is much funnier!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up