Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Has anyone ever seen this spider?
kelmac07 08:59 PM 10-01-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Looks like a Dead Spider to me.
If it wasn't...it would be soon!!
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:31 PM 10-01-2009
Brown Recluse!!!
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:33 PM 10-01-2009
I would set the sneaker with spider in it on fire.
[Reply]
rizzle 09:55 AM 10-02-2009
This would be classified as a "dead spider" if I found it.
[Reply]
SilverFox 09:57 AM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Looks like a Dead Spider to me.
Only good kind
[Reply]
poker 11:24 AM 10-02-2009
Its a dead one. The best kind! :-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:35 AM 10-02-2009
COMMON SYNANTHROPIC SPIDERS IN CALIFORNIA

Spiders of Orange County-wow this a rather large gallery
[Reply]
Darrell 11:46 AM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
COMMON SYNANTHROPIC SPIDERS IN CALIFORNIA

Spiders of Orange County-wow this a rather large gallery
Thanks, but as I said this was in my buddies shed in FL! :-)

and it may come to some surprise, but I don't kill any spiders unless they're Black Widows. I usually catch them and let them go away from my house.
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:52 AM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Thanks, but as I said this was in my buddies shed in FL! :-)

and it may come to some surprise, but I don't kill any spiders unless they're Black Widows. I usually catch them and let them go away from my house.
Sorry Bro!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN017
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN011
http://www.easttennesseewildflowers....umName=spiders
[Reply]
TanithT 12:16 PM 10-02-2009
Yes. They're harmless. A buddy of mine once put one down my shirt when we were snake hunting in Florida. It tickled. I gave him holy whatfor because he could have hurt the spider that way; they're fragile creatures. Fun to play with though, and really nifty to watch.

Unlike the vast majority of spiders in North America, the remarkably heavy-bodied Heteropoda probably can deliver a decent bite through human epidermis. Nice sized fangs on these big boys. But they have no venom worth writing home about, so we always just freehandled them. They never even tried to bite, and of all the Florida herpers I know who have handled them, I've never heard of anybody being bitten. If feeder crickets weren't such a pain in the butt to have in the house, I'd probably still be keeping them. They scurry very fast and can be a challenge to handle in that sense, but are really not the least bit aggressive.

Argiope are also worth a look if you're in Florida. Those are some very pretty giant fuzzy spiders, but a lot more problematic in captivity as their orb webs can span more than 10 feet and have been measured at over 30'. It was great fun visiting them in the wild though.

There are things about living in Florida I definitely miss.
[Reply]
TanithT 12:21 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Brown Recluse!!!
Uh, no. Nothing in the Loxosceles genus lives in Florida. Which makes the many reports of "brown recluse bites" from that state (and from other states where the genus does not exist) a serious and widespread problem of medical mismanagement that has been addressed by the AMA, among other bodies.
[Reply]
Darrell 12:32 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
Uh, no. Nothing in the Loxosceles genus lives in Florida. Which makes the many reports of "brown recluse bites" from that state (and from other states where the genus does not exist) a serious and widespread problem of medical mismanagement that has been addressed by the AMA, among other bodies.
Does the Brown Recluse live in CA?
[Reply]
adampc22 12:36 PM 10-02-2009
what about this for a spider well i say spider but its not a spider

[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 12:37 PM 10-02-2009
Huntsman or Wolf.... they're everywhere here.
Tastes like chicken.
[Reply]
TanithT 01:07 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Does the Brown Recluse live in CA?

"This website presents evidence for the lack of brown recluse spiders as part of the Californian spider fauna. Unfortunately, this contradicts what most Californians believe; beliefs that are born out of media-driven hyperbole and erroneous, anxiety-filled public hearsay which is further compounded by medical misdiagnoses."
[Reply]
TanithT 01:09 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by adampc22:
what about this for a spider well i say spider but its not a spider
Looks like Theraphosa blondii, and it is a spider. Unless that is a particularly good fake model. Goliath spiders are cool. Also unfortunately very expensive, especially at that size.
[Reply]
itsme_timd 01:12 PM 10-02-2009
Wow, that is a scary looking spider. I'm no help on what it is though.

I'm pretty much just taking up server space to reiterate that it looks scary. :-)
[Reply]
adampc22 01:23 PM 10-02-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
Looks like Theraphosa blondii, and it is a spider. Unless that is a particularly good fake model. Goliath spiders are cool. Also unfortunately very expensive, especially at that size.
i thought it was a taranchula so that made it the same family as a spider but not a spider ?
[Reply]
Steve 01:31 PM 10-02-2009
I don't know what kind of spider it is, but I know how to get rid of it!

(BTW, that's a 12 gauge)
[Reply]
s15driftking 02:21 PM 10-02-2009
wait wait... it's the size of the fist... yet it fits inside a shoe with tons of room??? i am gonna raise the BS flag.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up