Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Are cuban cigars really the best?
Prefy 10:58 AM 09-27-2009
Smoke what you like...like what you smoke!

Personally from what I have smoked on either side I would have to say that I prefer Cuban Leaf.
Don Fernando 11:01 AM 09-27-2009
I can get Cubans legally here and they are easier to get then Non Cubans, still I smoke more Non Cubans as there is so much more to explore and there are some fabulous NC's out there, just as fabulous CC's. And there are also a lot of terrible NC's and some terrible CC's.
Starscream 11:02 AM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
This is an oustanding question. It is my personal belief, based on extensive research both here and abroad, that there is no such thing as a Cuban cigar, that it is a myth create and perpetrated by the cigar elite to further their own ends:-)
The cat's out of the bag now. You weren't supposed to tell on us, Vic.:-)
akumushi 11:05 AM 09-27-2009
I think the split is between whether you like medium bodied, spicy cigars in a small ring gauge, or thicker, more heavy bodied maduros. Lovers of the former tend to prefer CCs, lovers of the latter prefer NCs. Cuban tobacco has a richness and flavor that NCs have a hard time competing with but their construction and consistency pales in comparison to most average NCs. I personally have stopped buying NCs as the only ones I like (Padron, Tatuaje, Pepin, Illusione) are slightly more expensive than CCs. If CCs were legalized in the US and the prices jumped up to the way they are in Canada because of taxes, then I would probably find myself smoking more Tats and Illusione because they would then be cheaper. I would say that there are NCs and CCs to suit pretty much any taste and some (but not all) of the best smokes I've had are CCs, so they are definitely worth trying!
mariogolbee 11:06 AM 09-27-2009
I'm half Cuban but live in CA and for a time I was seeking CC's kinda for the same reason I was into Native Tribal music and Aztec dancing etc. I tried a few varieties during the last couple of years and one a very long time ago. I've never gotten one for $6 a stick as some apparently have. The best sticks I have had came from another country for MORE than $15 a stick but have been my favorite cigar ever. They are the Cohiba Siglo 2 and I loved them. The problem I find with CC's is it's been a huge amount of trouble to get in my experience to get them and half of the authenticity has to come with a grain of salt. All in all though, the CC's I've had are all as good or better than most NC's that I've had.
Ashcan Bill 11:15 AM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by rogerdodger:
newbie here
never tried one, not sure if id apreciate it anyway.
are they much better than the $15 and up cigars than we can currently purchase?
Better?

Are they better in terms of depth, flavor and taste? In my opinion, yes.

Are they better in terms of consistent and reliable construction? In my opinion, no.

Are they a better dollar-for-dollar value? I'd say emphatically yes.
icehog3 11:19 AM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by Prefy:
Smoke what you like...like what you smoke!

I prefer Cuban Leaf.
Funny how you think of what you are going to say after reading the original post....then scroll down, and someone says pretty much exactly what you were going to say.

Matt said it for me. :-)
GTCanuk 11:41 AM 09-27-2009
yes
troutbreath 12:19 PM 09-27-2009
Great comments on this thread. "Better" is completely dependent upon what YOU want in a cigar.

There are very good NC's out there, and I enjoy them. The few CC's I have had have been enjoyable. Different. Also very good.
leasingthisspace 12:28 PM 09-27-2009
I like cake and pie.
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico 12:35 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace:
I like cake and pie.
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)

In this case cake = Padrons and pie = Juan Lopez!
htown 12:37 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
Better?

Are they better in terms of depth, flavor and taste? In my opinion, yes.

Are they better in terms of consistent and reliable construction? In my opinion, no.

Are they a better dollar-for-dollar value? I'd say emphatically yes.
What he said! Now I think I'll go smoke a Bolivar PC.
Bax 12:39 PM 09-27-2009
I'm about a 50/50 CC vs. NC smoker right now. For strength and spice the NC's have it hands down. As for depth and nuance it's CC's.
I prefer a medium strength cigar so the cubans are right up my alley. The price is another huge factor.

You choose, a box of Fuentes for 400 bucks or a box of Party shorts and a box of Montes #4's and a box Bolivar Gold Medals. For me, it's a no brainer.
Mugen910 12:48 PM 09-27-2009
No..don't waste your time asking or even looking for Cubans...you stick to Non-Cubans..:-)
Red 12:49 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by shvictor:
I kinda like NC's better
:-)

don pepin garcia...he uses non cuban tobac and makes em way tastier!
icehog3 12:50 PM 09-27-2009
To each his own. :-)
Red 12:52 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
To each his own. :-)
thats the only real answer actually....:-)
hotreds 12:58 PM 09-27-2009
De gustibus non est disputandum.
icehog3 12:58 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by Red:
thats the only real answer actually....:-)
It's what makes the World go 'round. :-)
icehog3 12:59 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
De gustibus non est disputandum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gust...st_disputandum
Page 2 of 11
< 12 34 > Last »
Up