Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>A case for smoking them dryer
The Poet 03:44 PM 08-24-2009
I have said it before - we're talking cigars here, not vaccine. People tend to worry too much about temp and humidity, when all they need do is keep their smokes smokable and safe. JMHO.
[Reply]
Mr B 03:49 PM 08-24-2009
I store at about 68-70 RH, but move handfulls at a time (mixed) into a box at 62-63 RH for smoking. This has been working for me.
[Reply]
bigloo 03:52 PM 08-24-2009
I think it is also important to keep it as constant as possible, cannot get better then +-2% swings between seasons/mornings/evenings/etc. It cannot be good to cycle cigars betwneen 55% and 70% often. I started, like most of you, at 70%, now am down to 65% with 65% as the max (I get 2% fluctuations so my humidity ranges between 61% and 65%) and I am very happy straight out the humidor, no dry boxing since going down here. Probably will not be drying sub-60 as I am happy as a clam right here.
[Reply]
Addiction 03:53 PM 08-24-2009
I'm currently at 60.8 for humidity, I tend to prefer a drier smoke these days myself.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 03:55 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
He claimed that the natural aging process of cigars would be significantly slower at 65-70% and kept his cigars at 50-55%. Steve was a living encyclopedia of cigars so, I'm sure he did extensive research. I'm always trying for 62%.

MCS
Very interesting if true..:-)
[Reply]
captain53 03:59 PM 08-24-2009
This is right up there with which is better, iPhone or Blackberry maybe even Ford or Chevy! Will never have a consensus. One issue is how close is the measurement, using store bought hygro equipment maybe +/- 3-5%. I am running about 66 degrees/67% on the AcuRite and seems to work pretty well but don't have any CC's. I had a humi problem last year in TX and got down in the low 50% ranges for a week or so resulting in trashing my smokes . Somewhere in the 55-70% readings is probably acceptable but it is trial and error based on equipment accuracy, humidity consistancy, type of smoke and most of all personal taste. My 2 Cents!
[Reply]
NorcalMark 06:07 PM 08-24-2009
I like to smoke my cigars around 63-65% humidity.
[Reply]
Darrell 06:10 PM 08-24-2009
I don't trip over my CC's unless they are below 58%.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 06:59 PM 08-24-2009
Doesn't matter how many times I look at this thread, I still read it as "A case for smoking them in the dryer" and immediately wonder why you'd smoke them in a dryer.
[Reply]
CBI_2 07:08 PM 08-24-2009
Wow. I've been keeping mine at around 60% since I got my 1st humi living in Florida. Has been great.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:17 PM 08-24-2009
OK, so 52-65 is a reasonable range for smoking ready sticks.
I begin to fight mine once they get above 67.

Would any or all of you entertain low RH (below 60) for long term?

Dave, the midwest is sucky... but the RH up there by the lake STILL seems lower than the Armpit of The Midwest, St. Louis.:-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:32 PM 08-24-2009
Long term aging by many is done at lower temperatures and humidity. The theory being it takes longer but you end up in a more complex flavor place.

Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
OK, so 52-65 is a reasonable range for smoking ready sticks.
I begin to fight mine once they get above 67.

Would any or all of you entertain low RH (below 60) for long term?

Dave, the midwest is sucky... but the RH up there by the lake STILL seems lower than the Armpit of The Midwest, St. Louis.:-)

[Reply]
TripleF 07:42 PM 08-24-2009
Grrrrrrrreat thread Dave!! Thanks!
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:48 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
Long term aging by many is done at lower temperatures and humidity. The theory being it takes longer but you end up in a more complex flavor place.
Thanks, I thought I had heard that before. But I was wondering about the below 60 thresholds. I thought I remembered 60/60 as a long term target.
The 50% mark is what worries me as that is why I have all but stopped keeping NCs on hand. The winter here kills them. They taste like donkey balls when dry.

Great thread BTW :-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:48 PM 08-24-2009
I like mine around 64%, but I keep inching lower, too.
I find that the richer, more full bodied, dark, long finish maduros taste better to me at around 65% or a little wetter. To generalize, nicaraguan stuff.
CC's and dominicans I like dryer, 64% or a little lower.
Like I said, I keep inching downward and watching the results, but the real rich, thick, strong stuff I like a little wetter.
The airier, spicy, and fragrant stuff I enjoy better dryer.
That's just my observation, no real studying about it.
I definately like my anejos and blue band o's and El Originals at around 68% or so. As wet as I can get them without screwing up the burn. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:52 PM 08-24-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
I like mine around 64%, but I keep inching lower, too.
I find that the richer, more full bodied, dark, long finish maduros taste better to me at around 65% or a little wetter. To generalize, nicaraguan stuff.
CC's and dominicans I like dryer, 64% or a little lower.
Like I said, I keep inching downward and watching the results, but the real rich, thick, strong stuff I like a little wetter.
The airier, spicy, and fragrant stuff I enjoy better dryer.
That's just my observation, no real studying about it.
I definately like my anejos and blue band o's and El Originals at around 68% or so. As wet as I can get them without screwing up the burn. :-)
You and I have learned some of the same things at different schools brother! :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 08:15 PM 08-24-2009
I totally agree with the lower RH levels giving a more pleasurable smoking experience.

***Caution to those who are going to attempt an extreme drop- any sudden spikes upward in humidity will cause the wrapper on your sticks to split.***
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:41 PM 08-24-2009
I really have nothing to add to this thread, but I would like to bring up one point. For those who store at or around 60%, juice them up a little if you ever send some off in a sale. I've received smokes that were quite dry and cracking after 4/5 days in the postal system. Especially the winter months. The thinner wrappers seem to be the most problematic. This may have been just my bad luck, but I thought it was worth mentioning. That being said, I keep mine at 65%.

Larry
[Reply]
kgoings 09:10 PM 08-24-2009
I keep mine at 66%, but it is really dry here in Phoenix.
[Reply]
n3uka 10:22 PM 08-24-2009
Have trouble getting my humi above 62%. Glad to hear that it was just looking out for my smokes. Now to experiment with a little lower.

thanks for the great info. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up