Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Large RG not for me anymore
DougBushBC 04:17 AM 08-11-2009
I agree with Craig, I used to smoke Robustos almost exclusively, but now thanks to the Lancero, I have shifted and smoke almost all 46 and less RG cigars. I have found that 42 is kinda my sweet spot before it gets a bit uncomfortable.
[Reply]
skibumdc 04:33 AM 08-11-2009
I was never a fan of large RG smokes. Once I found Lanceros, Lonsdales, Marevas, etc. I knew I'd found the size I prefer.

Less filler leaf, more wrapper. Means more flavor for my taste profile.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:59 AM 08-11-2009
how about these?
[Reply]
hotreds 07:09 AM 08-11-2009
Interesting. When I started this hobby, I figured Churchills were they way to go- more bang for the buck. Then, I realized that time available also plays into the equation! So, robustos and coronas seem to be go-to cigars now, unless I have beaucoup time. I also agree that much over 50 ring cigars are unpleasant to smoke. I had a 60 ring that, again, I purchased for "bang for the buck" reasons, but it turned out to be a joke to smoke!
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 07:13 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by Mark:
Its amazing how many customers come in and buy cigars at Tinder Box that I would deem "phallic". That can NOT be comfortable!
Duke students?

:-)
[Reply]
GoldnGT 07:17 AM 08-11-2009
yeah I have a 63 RG La Gloria that has been sitting in my box for a bit that seems to be more for looks. I might smoke it eventually. I'm really more interested in 48-52's myself.
[Reply]
tchariya 08:14 AM 08-11-2009
I don't find large cigars very appealing. Sometimes I get bored waiting to finish it.

My preference is for PC rg or smaller. Though I do fancy me some nice long panetelas or lonsdales.

I think I have like ADD of the mouth or something.
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:25 AM 08-11-2009
I prefer cigars in the 42 - 46 rg size. Over 50 rg is just too large IMO.
[Reply]
rizzle 08:37 AM 08-11-2009
I've gotten to where I pretty much start at the corona and go from there, usually downwards to the PC, lancero, or lonsdale. I keep a few "big" cigars around for golf, etc but that's about it.
[Reply]
JJG 08:52 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I prefer cigars in the 42 - 46 rg size. Over 50 rg is just too large IMO.
:-) I started out buying large RG cigars because a few years ago, most B&Ms didn't carry a whole lot of cigars under 45-46. It wasn't until I started smoking CCs that I realized a corona or pc really fits my face better. Lately though, it seems that manufacturers are starting to release more laceros and lonsdales, etc. which makes it easy to find something more to my tastes at the local shop.

I remember being told by more than one local vendor that a wider cigar is better because they don't get as hot and they are more complex because the wider gauge allows for more leaves in the blend. :-) It may be true that you have to smoke a little slower on the thin RGs but if you can't figure out when you're smoking a cigar too fast, you probably need more practice.
[Reply]
GKitty 11:10 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:
I don't find large cigars very appealing. Sometimes I get bored waiting to finish it.

My preference is for PC rg or smaller. Though I do fancy me some nice long panetelas or lonsdales.

I think I have like ADD of the mouth or something.
:-) :-) :-)

omg... best reply ever... and with your permission... my new sig line?

On topic, I prefer the smaller vitolas (both RG and length) for the same reason. No matter how good a cigar is, if it's there's "too much" of it, I get bored. That being said, I have had a Lusitania that rocked my socks with 4 or 5 distinct flavor changes over the course of the smoke and that I nubbed the hell out of (Thank you, Andrew!). So I don't rule a cigar out based on its size, but my GoTos are usually in the corona & petite corona range.
[Reply]
Aldebaran 11:50 AM 08-11-2009
The biggest cigar I will willingly buy and consume on my own is a Toro. What I try and aim for is Lonsdale, Corona and the occasional Lancero.There are of course exceptions to this, I will buy and go through LDF DL Chisels like my life depended on it. I can consume a Chuchill if I am in company otherwise a favored activity turns tiresome.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:08 PM 08-11-2009
Wow. Interesting to read the testimony of all of you ADD folks. I'm just the opposite. I find that, for me, there's a lovely "zone" I get into in the second hour of a good smoke which the shorter sticks just can't provide. Often, with a smaller vitola, I walk away feeling a little unsatisfied- almost as if I haven't really smoked at all. It's kind of a similar experience to the creative process, I suppose: there's a richer experience to be had, but I have to get there first and that simply takes time.

Diff'rent strokes, eh?
[Reply]
tchariya 12:52 PM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by GKitty:
:-) :-) :-)

omg... best reply ever... and with your permission... my new sig line?

On topic, I prefer the smaller vitolas (both RG and length) for the same reason. No matter how good a cigar is, if it's there's "too much" of it, I get bored. That being said, I have had a Lusitania that rocked my socks with 4 or 5 distinct flavor changes over the course of the smoke and that I nubbed the hell out of (Thank you, Andrew!). So I don't rule a cigar out based on its size, but my GoTos are usually in the corona & petite corona range.
Go for it...heh
[Reply]
JJG 12:52 PM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Wow. Interesting to read the testimony of all of you ADD folks. I'm just the opposite. I find that, for me, there's a lovely "zone" I get into in the second hour of a good smoke which the shorter sticks just can't provide.
I actually enjoy a long smoke but lately I just have trouble sticking with it. Part of it is ADD I think, because I find it difficult to just smoke a cigar and relax. I have to be doing several things at once. It's gotten too hot to take my laptop outside with me so lately I've been smoking by the living room door so I can stay inside and watch TV, play darts, or entertain company while stepping outside every 60seconds or so to take a few puffs. Usually what happens is I get involved with something else and the cigar goes out.
[Reply]
tchariya 12:54 PM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Wow. Interesting to read the testimony of all of you ADD folks. I'm just the opposite. I find that, for me, there's a lovely "zone" I get into in the second hour of a good smoke which the shorter sticks just can't provide. Often, with a smaller vitola, I walk away feeling a little unsatisfied- almost as if I haven't really smoked at all. It's kind of a similar experience to the creative process, I suppose: there's a richer experience to be had, but I have to get there first and that simply takes time.

Diff'rent strokes, eh?
Change a couple words here and there and use this in a personals ad, you might get some gals to woon over how your cigar smoking habits relates to how you prefer your luv makin'!
[Reply]
Kreth 12:55 PM 08-11-2009
I can see the "bang for the buck" argument. I have a limited cigar budget, and I buy mainly robustos and toros. Plus, on the golf course, it's nice having a cigar last 14 or 15 holes.
[Reply]
kenstogie 01:13 PM 08-11-2009
If I have the time the Big stuff is good. But generally I like a corona. Depends on the stick of course.
[Reply]
Noodles 01:21 PM 08-11-2009
I have always preferred Corona, PC and Lonsdale sizes. Recently, I've been digging larger cigars such as Robusto, CG, Torps, Churchill, DC. Who knows what I will like a year from now.
[Reply]
coastietech 01:26 PM 08-11-2009
I tend to smoke more robusto's and toro's simply because I only smoke once a day during the week so I don't mind spending the time to smoke a larger stick. On the weekends I smoke more then one a day but even then I still have the 90-120 mins to spend on them.

I smoked one lancero, a Nestor Miranda gifted to me by DougbushBC, it was very good but I just felt odd with a stick that long. Plus the draw was a little tighter than I was used to. Definitely a size and brand I would try again but not something I could see myself smoking on the regular.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up