Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>Patrick Kane Arrested
Sauer Grapes 02:07 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
See, I see cabbies as more closely resembling the tip jar at the counter. At a restaurant, the waiter(ess) is providing a service on top of the product being sold (the food). A cabbie's service is the product in a sense as you are paying directly for that service. Barber I would put in the same category as a cabbie, meaning unless they've gone above what is expected of them on average, there is no need to tip unless you want to. Delivery men are more like waitresses, although they deserve less of a tip since they aren't "waiting" on you. Parking attendant I put in the same category as the cabbie, actually, even a lesser category.

Don't get me wrong here, I tip my barber, I generally tip cabbies, although I don't take cabs much at all (it's been a year or more since) and I am a good tipper at restaurants unless the wait staff has been just terrible. It just seems that tipping is getting out of control in recent years. I mean, why tip the sandwich "artist" at subway? Ridiculous!
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
If it's their job do you tip them?
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think I bolded the answer to your question in my quote above.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:13 PM 08-09-2009
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think I bolded the answer to your question in my quote above.
Do you tip the chef/cook?
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 02:14 PM 08-09-2009
I am not going to bother with the tipping argument...I tip anytime I feel someone deserves it. However, if these accusations are true, I hope Kane gets punished fairly. It is ridiculous some of the things athletes/celebrities do.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 02:18 PM 08-09-2009
Do you tip the chef/cook?
I don't leave a unique tip for them, no. I believe that some restaurants split tips between the staff so indirectly I may have before. Of course, chefs and cooks are paid differently than wait staff.

Is it commonplace to tip a chef directly? (assuming the order was directly off the menu)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:39 PM 08-09-2009
I don't leave a unique tip for them, no. I believe that some restaurants split tips between the staff so indirectly I may have before. Of course, chefs and cooks are paid differently than wait staff.

Is it commonplace to tip a chef directly? (assuming the order was directly off the menu)
Ok Im done hijacking the thread :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 02:58 PM 08-09-2009
Ok Im done hijacking the thread :-)
:-)
[Reply]
tobii3 03:48 PM 08-09-2009
Okay, I'm throwing the Penalty Flag at Sauer Grapes for Unsportsmanlike Conduct!!!:-)

#1 - WHATEVER you tip the waiter/waitress is split between the Host (the jacka$$ that asks "how many in your party") and the Bartender - no MATTER if you had drinks or not. The Chef/Cook doesn't get sh*t. Anyone who has ever waited tables knows this.

#2 - You use a cabbie/hack to get you from Point A to Point B as fast as you can, right?? You're not paying for the scenic route, right?? So, in effect, you are actually relying upon his/her knowledge to get to/through and in/around any traffic/congestion as fast as they can, right?? and THAT DOESN'T DESERVE A TIP??

Okay, rant mode off.

As for Kane, who is even remotely surprised that yet ANOTHER "professional" athlete did something stupid?? Million Dollar contracts and dumber than &^%$ when it comes to common sense.
[Reply]
icehog3 03:58 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Million Dollar contracts and dumber than &^%$ when it comes to common sense.
Like military contractors? :-) :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:32 PM 08-09-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Like military contractors? :-) :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
tobii3 04:39 PM 08-09-2009
that's the best you can come up with??

that's it??

When were ANY of these ""professional"" athletes in a life or death situation?

This kid was 20 years old. TWENTY.

You wanna compare Blackwater/Xe with these imbeciles??

let's compare the qualifications then, while we're at it.

Ice skating, hitting a puck, beating a cabbie. Wow...real tough.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 04:43 PM 08-09-2009
Okay, I'm throwing the Penalty Flag at Sauer Grapes for Unsportsmanlike Conduct!!!:-)

#1 - WHATEVER you tip the waiter/waitress is split between the Host (the jacka$$ that asks "how many in your party") and the Bartender - no MATTER if you had drinks or not. The Chef/Cook doesn't get sh*t. Anyone who has ever waited tables knows this.

#2 - You use a cabbie/hack to get you from Point A to Point B as fast as you can, right?? You're not paying for the scenic route, right?? So, in effect, you are actually relying upon his/her knowledge to get to/through and in/around any traffic/congestion as fast as they can, right?? and THAT DOESN'T DESERVE A TIP??

Okay, rant mode off.
oy vey, I guess I'll respond even though I thought vito had a great idea to drop the subject in this thread...

#1, I never said I tipped a cook, and only said that I may have indirectly without knowing in the past.

#2, I never said I didn't tip cabbies, just that I think tipping has gotten out of hand and people expect tips for everything now, and IMO, most of the time cabbies haven't done anything to earn a tip. In response to your scenerio, in the rare instance I am taking a cab, it's in my city and the cabbie doesn't have any route knowledge I don't have myself. In fact, I more often than not find them taking a route I know to be slower.
[Reply]
tobii3 05:05 PM 08-09-2009
No worries Sauer, that's why I threw the "Flag"!!!

[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 05:07 PM 08-09-2009
No worries Sauer, that's why I threw the "Flag"!!!

:-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:43 PM 08-09-2009
that's the best you can come up with??

that's it??

When were ANY of these ""professional"" athletes in a life or death situation?

This kid was 20 years old. TWENTY.

You wanna compare Blackwater/Xe with these imbeciles??

let's compare the qualifications then, while we're at it.

Ice skating, hitting a puck, beating a cabbie. Wow...real tough.
That's the best you got? :-)

You were talking about "Million Dollar contracts and dumber than &^%$ when it comes to common sense." That's what I responded to, not to a question of whether it is more tough/dangerous/whatever to be in the military as compared to being an athlete. If you are going to argue to something that is your twist on what I said, and not what I actually said, knock yourself out.

I have the utmost respect for the brave men and women of the military...but hard to deny a lot of corrpution/criminality and lack of common sense from some of their contractors.

Oh, ice skating and "hitting a puck" ain't as easy as it looks, either. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 06:01 PM 08-09-2009
getting paid miilions of dollars to skate and hit a puck is ridiculous.

Getting paid millions of dollars and beating a hack up over 20 cents??

Pathetic.

And you are right about contractors. But show me ONE that gets paid MILLIONS of dollars to play 82 times in an ENTIRE year. (hockey season)

[Reply]
icehog3 06:08 PM 08-09-2009
getting paid miilions of dollars to skate and hit a puck is ridiculous.

Getting paid millions of dollars and beating a hack up over 20 cents??

Pathetic.

And you are right about contractors. But show me ONE that gets paid MILLIONS of dollars to play 82 times in an ENTIRE year. (hockey season)

You're right....lots of them get millions of dollars for doing absolutely nothing. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:13 PM 08-09-2009
I'm in the wrong line of work :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 06:14 PM 08-09-2009
I'm in the wrong line of work :-)
Me too Perry...me too. :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:16 PM 08-09-2009
Me too Perry...me too. :-)
[Reply]
alley00p 06:19 PM 08-09-2009
I am waiting for all the facts before condemning Kane. :-)
Tom, I agree that there is probably much more to the whole story. I'm not particularly interested in crucifying Kane, but this story just rubbed me the wrong way!

I've been watching sports and professional athletes for longer than many of my BOTL's here have been alive - you know, like back when Detroit actually had a good football team. :-) I'm aware that a lot of the Pros have their "pet" charities and causes, and they care deeply about their off the field activities. They give unstintingly of their time, and many contribute their money, as well as their time.

But that being said, I've been saddened, time and time again, at the pettiness and stinginess of many Pros. And that is what probably triggered my eariler response. I'll be interested to see what (in my Paul Harvey voice) "The Rest of the Story" is too... :-)

[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up