Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Review: Casa Magna
BORIStheBLADE 09:41 AM 08-07-2009
I smoked one and thought it was just ok. I would rather smoke a Ambos Mundos for sure.
[Reply]
volldampf 11:00 AM 08-07-2009
For a five dollar stick, i find the casa magna quite tasty. I'll have to try the ambos mundos, i'll make it my assignment for the evening.
[Reply]
chenvt 11:02 AM 08-07-2009
If someone has a casa magna from BEFORE the CA review, I'd like to hear their thoughts. I had one and agree it was ok, but nowhere near as good as the hype. Could this be a quality issue after business picked up?
[Reply]
hoax 11:27 AM 08-07-2009
Originally Posted by chenvt:
If someone has a casa magna from BEFORE the CA review, I'd like to hear their thoughts. I had one and agree it was ok, but nowhere near as good as the hype. Could this be a quality issue after business picked up?
I had one just as the review in CA came out. Ok stick, but not OMG good.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 12:05 PM 08-07-2009
Originally Posted by volldampf:
For a five dollar stick, i find the casa magna quite tasty. I'll have to try the ambos mundos, i'll make it my assignment for the evening.
The sumatras are very good (burgundy band)
[Reply]
ValorBali41 04:38 PM 08-07-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Couldn't disagree more. This and other boards like it is the perfect starting place.
The magazine does rate cigars. Toward the back of the journal there are dozens of ratings. This is how i learned about brands and what ranks where. But I am very disappointed that CA really only is 10% cigars, and 90% complete crap. The August issue has about 10 pgs worth of material on Entourage coming back, and little to be said about cigars really. IMHO the best place to start would probably be in a tobacco/ cigar shop asking advice from the owner or clerk, and then reading online reviews and overall gaining knowledge from a plethora of places.
[Reply]
Clampdown 06:31 PM 08-07-2009
Originally Posted by Steelergar:
You guys do know that CA owns this brand, which to me explains their ratings for it. But I still want to try it.
Huh?:-)
[Reply]
nozero 06:49 PM 08-07-2009
So, was it the Colorado Robusto? I'm anxious to try one of these, but have yet to find them in stock at the local B&M.
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:31 PM 08-07-2009
Thanks for the review!!!:-)

I would agree with a B+!!!

[Reply]
macpappy 09:19 PM 09-08-2009
Thanks for the review. I picked a couple up at a B&M last week and smoked one of them today. The flavor was ok, even enjoyable but with the severe burn issues the one I smoked had (sitting outside, but no wind or breeze) and the fact that I had to relight it twice, I just can't see how this was ever voted "best cigar of the year".

My first thought on the burn issues was that it was too wet but I bought it at a Tinderbox and then let it sit in my coolerador at 65% for a week so I don't think that was the issue.

I think cA just overrated this one.
[Reply]
joetownhound 03:15 AM 09-12-2009
Regardless of how cA rated it I think it is a good tasting cigar. Not the best I've smoked but good none the less. I have a box of them resting in my vino and think it would be a nice change. :-)
[Reply]
vankleekkw 08:57 AM 09-12-2009
I broke down and picked up some PC for ~3.50 and found this to be a very good smoke. It was flavorful and had a mild complexity to it. I don't belive it to be the best of 2008, but definately a good smoke in the under $5.00 category.
[Reply]
njstone 08:59 PM 09-14-2009
I've only smoked the double toro size. I liked it quite a bit, enough to buy a mixed 5er at the shop, anyway. Not awesome, but a solid cigar. IMVHO not "cigar of the year," but I know that CA decided to take price into account, so by that rationale I guess it was up there.

As far as my views on CA/CI ... I don't subscribe, but read it now and then when I see someone with a copy. I'd much rather get the opinions of "real people" on the boards than snobs who (allegedly) only smoke the first inch of the cigar.
[Reply]
heavyd 11:52 PM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by vankleekkw:
I don't belive it to be the best of 2008, but definately a good smoke in the under $5.00 category.
I agree with this. I've smoked two of these and they are good, no doubt. When I say "good" I mean good for a $5 cigar. The Casa Magna is on par with Oliva G or V as far as value goes, IMO. It ain't no Tat Brown, that's for sure, but hey, it costs 5 bucks, not 10 or 12. :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 12:18 AM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by nozero:
So, was it the Colorado Robusto? I'm anxious to try one of these, but have yet to find them in stock at the local B&M.
St. Jorge Tobacco in St. Augustine has some, they will ship to you.

At least they had a box when I was there in August, if you call, tell them Scott in Ohio sent you to them.

:-)
[Reply]
joetownhound 03:42 AM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by Eleven:
St. Jorge Tobacco in St. Augustine has some, they will ship to you.

At least they had a box when I was there in August, if you call, tell them Scott in Ohio sent you to them.

:-)
Tampa Humidor also have them and and will ship.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up