Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>Michael Vick Reinstated to NFL
Mr. Ed 06:17 PM 07-27-2009
I really don't think he is that great or can be a legit starting QB for anyone this season.

He hasn't played football for two years, and wasn't that great when he was playing. A lot of fumbles(a fact that never seems to be brought up), poor pass completion percentage, a lot of sacks, and a 1.4 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He sure could run the ball though...

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=VIC311467

My prediction is that he wallows on the bench as a third stringer or doesn't get sign at worst, or becomes a guy that plays 3 or 4 plays a game in some Wild Cat Formation at best.
[Reply]
white_s2k 06:20 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:
all you gotta do is look at the Dallas Cowboys during the 90's for a list of criminals.

Pretty pathetic, really.
Nobody deserves a second chance. You're totally right.
[Reply]
tobii3 06:42 PM 07-27-2009
Second Chance is a type of Body Armor.

LINK

NOT an approach towards athletes who piss their careers away.
[Reply]
Resipsa 06:44 PM 07-27-2009
First thing that happenned in Atlanta after they dumped his azz as qb is they went to the playoffs. 'Nuff said.:-)
[Reply]
blugill 06:55 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by bigloo:
Andy, he will play. There have been NFL stars convicted of crimes as serisou as manslaughter who have played when released. Take Leonard Little as a prize example.
Barry Bonds is out of a job because no team wanted that circus anymore. He, thus far, isn't convicted of anything.

You are right that there have been lots of NFL stars convicted of crimes and have played afterward. Probably even more have never been convicted of anything and are more guilty than Vick. The fact of the matter though is that Vick is probably the highest profile athlete in the highest profile position and that commands tons of scrutiny.

I guess the major question would be would the fans accept Vick or shun the team because of Vick? If you were an owner would YOU take that chance?

I'm glad he is reinstated. He paid for his crimes, our country is very forgiving. That doesn't mean he is entitled to his old job again though.

I know if I had a slip up in my job I would be without a job and it would not be there waiting on me when I got released.
[Reply]
blugill 06:58 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed:
I really don't think he is that great or can be a legit starting QB for anyone this season.

He hasn't played football for two years, and wasn't that great when he was playing. A lot of fumbles(a fact that never seems to be brought up), poor pass completion percentage, a lot of sacks, and a 1.4 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He sure could run the ball though...

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=VIC311467

My prediction is that he wallows on the bench as a third stringer or doesn't get sign at worst, or becomes a guy that plays 3 or 4 plays a game in some Wild Cat Formation at best.
Or the UFL awaits Mr. Vick.
[Reply]
bigloo 07:02 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by white_s2k:
Nobody deserves a second chance. You're totally right.
Comparing pro athletes making millions to normal people is faulty IMHO. These guys are given the world and all they need to do it keep their noses clean. Additionally,they make their money due to support from fans and somehow confuse this for being above the law. I dont think kids should support any athlete who had commited a crime. I could go on and on. Do they deserve a 2nd chance? Sure... do they deserve our support... hell no.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:14 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
I've heard rumor of the Panthers
I don't see where he'd fit in here, although I'd love to see someone come in and do a better job than Delhomme.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:18 PM 07-27-2009
Do they deserve a 2nd chance? Sure... do they deserve our support... hell no.
Some of the most influential people in the world are/were reformed criminals. St. Paul comes to mind when reading the above statement. Not that I think Vick will become a saint by any means, but he has served his time (much more time than some NFL players who are convicted of manslaughter and only served 60-90 days). He may turn himself around (doubtful, but you never know).
[Reply]
Cigary 07:35 PM 07-27-2009
Second chances? What about all of the animals that never got a second chance? What about his bankrolling and producing everything about what he got nailed for? He knowingly went in to that enterprise with the intentions of causing harm and to make money at the expense of the lives of a huge number of dogs,,,,and then burying them like casual garbage. To say he has served his time is subjective at best,,,that is like telling a child to go to "time out" and then pat him on the head and saying " good boy" and go back and play and have fun. Serving time is not the equivalent of learning his lesson or bearing the consequences of those actions. Football is something I enjoy as a fan and as a player myself but when I played the game it was about who you were in association with those you played with and the man you are. Michael Vick is a person who is out for Michael Vick alone,,,not the NFL, not the fans and certainly not for those he has hurt in his lifes journey. For any person with a criminal background who wants to redeem himself in life,,,do it because you want to change yourself but not because you can be an athlete and do things on the field,,,,,this is not a barometer for who you are as a human being. A real man will change his life and behavior and "fix" that which he has broken,,,not just served time in a prison cell.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:37 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by blugill:
I really doubt if anyone will want this PR nightmare.
:-) I wouldn't take a chance on a marginal QB with all of this baggage. Plus, he's been away for two year. The one thing he might have going for him is that he's hungry. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 07:37 PM 07-27-2009
I guess that I am on the other side of things from most of the posters in this thread. If it had only been the dogs, I could accept him coming back into the league but he financed and ran a gambling operation. This is the one thing that could destroy the credibility of the NFL if he were in a game and threw a poorly timed pick-6. I realize in the past that Paul Hornung and one of his team mates served a shorter suspension for gambling but gambling is far more pervasive now. This is the one sin that I personally am unable to forgive. I wish him well and hope that he becomes a contributing member of society but I doubt it. A couple of days after he got out and met with the Commissioner, reports are that he met with Alan Iverson and went to a titty bar. Does not sound like the rehab has gone too far.
[Reply]
tobii3 07:38 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Some of the most influential people in the world are/were reformed criminals.
That's just wonderful.

Who speaks for their victims??

Oh that's right, the victims don't get a second chance.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:24 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Second chances? What about all of the animals that never got a second chance? What about his bankrolling and producing everything about what he got nailed for? He knowingly went in to that enterprise with the intentions of causing harm and to make money at the expense of the lives of a huge number of dogs,,,,and then burying them like casual garbage. To say he has served his time is subjective at best,,,that is like telling a child to go to "time out" and then pat him on the head and saying " good boy" and go back and play and have fun. Serving time is not the equivalent of learning his lesson or bearing the consequences of those actions. Football is something I enjoy as a fan and as a player myself but when I played the game it was about who you were in association with those you played with and the man you are. Michael Vick is a person who is out for Michael Vick alone,,,not the NFL, not the fans and certainly not for those he has hurt in his lifes journey. For any person with a criminal background who wants to redeem himself in life,,,do it because you want to change yourself but not because you can be an athlete and do things on the field,,,,,this is not a barometer for who you are as a human being. A real man will change his life and behavior and "fix" that which he has broken,,,not just served time in a prison cell.
This statement is very true, but if it applies to him, it should apply to all players in the league. Why are there murderers who served a mere 90 days in prison and are still playing in the NFL, and Vick is being judged more harshly than these people? Killing dogs is nothing compared to killing humans IMHO. Not that what Vick did was right (if I had my way, none of these people would be playing right now), but if people who do worse things than Vick are still playing, then he deserves a chance to play as well.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:25 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Who speaks for their victims??

Oh that's right, the victims don't get a second chance.
I wholeheartedly agree.
[Reply]
taltos 08:29 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
This statement is very true, but if it applies to him, it should apply to all players in the league. Why are there murderers who served a mere 90 days in prison and are still playing in the NFL, and Vick is being judged more harshly than these people? Killing dogs is nothing compared to killing humans IMHO. Not that what Vick did was right (if I had my way, none of these people would be playing right now), but if people who do worse things than Vick are still playing, then he deserves a chance to play as well.
Maybe if Goodell was commissioner, some of these players would not have been reinstated as soon as they were under the previous commissioner.
[Reply]
bigloo 08:31 PM 07-27-2009
Andy,

You are not incorrect. Guys like Little should never be allowed into the NFL. The problem is children look up to these guys, they are heroes of sorts. If you want that role and want the millions, you have to live up to those standards. Also, by saying a murderer got less time therefore Vick is OK is moving towards the lowest common denominator... we should reject both players, not except the one based on the others actions. Pro sports has no conscious and probably never will. If Vick wins a superbowl all will be forgotten, that I promise you.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:52 PM 07-27-2009
Andy,

You are not incorrect. Guys like Little should never be allowed into the NFL. The problem is children look up to these guys, they are heroes of sorts. If you want that role and want the millions, you have to live up to those standards. Also, by saying a murderer got less time therefore Vick is OK is moving towards the lowest common denominator... we should reject both players, not except the one based on the others actions. Pro sports has no conscious and probably never will. If Vick wins a superbowl all will be forgotten, that I promise you.
I completely agree with that statement as well.:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:58 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by dubnick:
I've heard rumor of the Panthers
They singed Del-homy to a 3 year extension. Yay! He sucks! :-)

No way he comes to Charlotte.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 08:59 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
Maybe if Goodell was commissioner, some of these players would not have been reinstated as soon as they were under the previous commissioner.
I would bet money on it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up