Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Five Silly Blind Reviews
Starscream 09:16 AM 07-28-2009
I've heard great things about the Boli PC but never had one till now. It lives up to its reputation.:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 03:12 PM 07-30-2009
Cigar #5

Construction: 5x50, light/medium brown wrapper, very solid

Pre-Light Draw: A smooth draw. A little sweetness is detectable.

1st Third: Upon lighting, this cigar is very peppery and harsh. The harshness quickly subsides, leaving behind a bit of sweetness. About a half inch into the stick, the sweetness takes control. Sweet and smooth with a slight bit of pepper through the nose. The cigar is very solid; the ash is firm and holds on past the two inch mark. Toward the end of the first third, the sweetness subsides a little and a harshness joins it.

2nd Third: The sweetness and harshness combine for a flavor that reminds me of toasted or burnt sugar (toasted marshmallow?). It's not bad, but not great either. A tangy flavor is detectable as well.

Final Third: Sweetness and burnt flavor continue. It's not bad, but I'm beginning to get bored with it. At the last inch, the cigar starts to get bitter.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was ok. Not spectacular, not bad, but just ok. I'd like it for a morning smoke w/ coffee, but it's not a good afternoon/evening smoke for me. This is something that I would enjoy and not worry about putting it down after smoking half of it (which is what I tend to do in the mornings if I'm rushed for time).
[Reply]
Starscream 03:17 PM 07-30-2009
After completing these five reviews, I would like to say thanks to Scott (MCS) for contacting me and asking if I would do this (even if he was tricking me into getting my address:-)). I have thoroughly enjoyed smoking and writing these reviews. I have learned a lot about my palate and the preconcieved notions that come with the bands (or knowing what cigar I'm smoking). This has been a fun and enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks Scott! You are a true BOTL!:-)
Somebody give this man a rep bump for me!
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 04:22 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Cigar #5

Construction: 5x50, light/medium brown wrapper, very solid

Pre-Light Draw: A smooth draw. A little sweetness is detectable.

1st Third: Upon lighting, this cigar is very peppery and harsh. The harshness quickly subsides, leaving behind a bit of sweetness. About a half inch into the stick, the sweetness takes control. Sweet and smooth with a slight bit of pepper through the nose. The cigar is very solid; the ash is firm and holds on past the two inch mark. Toward the end of the first third, the sweetness subsides a little and a harshness joins it.

2nd Third: The sweetness and harshness combine for a flavor that reminds me of toasted or burnt sugar (toasted marshmallow?). It's not bad, but not great either. A tangy flavor is detectable as well.

Final Third: Sweetness and burnt flavor continue. It's not bad, but I'm beginning to get bored with it. At the last inch, the cigar starts to get bitter.

Final Thoughts: This cigar was ok. Not spectacular, not bad, but just ok. I'd like it for a morning smoke w/ coffee, but it's not a good afternoon/evening smoke for me. This is something that I would enjoy and not worry about putting it down after smoking half of it (which is what I tend to do in the mornings if I'm rushed for time).
That was an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection Robusto. I really enjoy these for the price. I like the toasted marshmallow flavor you were tasting.

Great reviews, Andy!

MCS
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 04:25 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
After completing these five reviews, I would like to say thanks to Scott (MCS) for contacting me and asking if I would do this (even if he was tricking me into getting my address:-)). I have thoroughly enjoyed smoking and writing these reviews. I have learned a lot about my palate and the preconcieved notions that come with the bands (or knowing what cigar I'm smoking). This has been a fun and enjoyable learning experience.

Thanks Scott! You are a true BOTL!:-)
Somebody give this man a rep bump for me!
I actually had no ulterior motives when I first got your address. After I got it, the idea for Shemp's Revenge came up. I just like to pick on English teachers:-)

MCS
[Reply]
Starscream 04:27 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I just like to pick on English teachers:-)

MCS
:-):-)
[Reply]
Starscream 04:31 PM 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
That was an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection Robusto. I really enjoy these for the price. I like the toasted marshmallow flavor you were tasting.

Great reviews, Andy!

MCS
I read one of Don Fernando's reviews today and he mentioned toasted marshmallow flavor. If I had not read his review today, I probably wouldn't have been able to pick that flavor out. I would have just thought it was a sweet, yet burnt flavor. I learn new things about my palate just from reading other reviews.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up