Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 130
< 12 341252102 > Last »
Sports>NHL '09 - '10 Thread
SilverFox 10:56 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I think the Hawks forwards compare well with Detroit, with the Hawks addition of Hossa and Madden and Detroit's loss of Hossa and Hudler. Detroit probably has more scoring talent, but I think the Hawks defense after Lidstrom might be better. Goaltending is the big question mark. I see the Hawks back in the Conference Finals, and maybe finally getting over the Red Wing hump, if the goaltending is strong.

Damn if I dont ągree with you.

I think for the Hawks it comes down to the netminder. Those young lads have proven they have what it takes.
SmokeyJoe 10:59 PM 07-16-2009
In ESPN the Magazine's ULTIMATE Team Standings - rating all major professional sports teams, they picked the Carolina Hurricanes as:

#1 Hockey Franchise

#2 Sports Franchise overall!
(LA Angels of Anaheim were selected #1 Overall)

Originally Posted by :
Ultimate Standings 2009:
No. 2 Carolina Hurricanes

By Doug Mittler

ESPN The Magazine
Archive
Last Year's Rank: 17
Title Track: 4
Ownership: 10
Coaching: 37
Players: 15
Fan Relations: 6
Affordability: 10
Stadium Experience: 4
Bang for the Buck: 3

Surprised that the Canes are an ice chip (.01 point) away from topping our list? Fans from this unconventional hockey market aren't. In fact, they *embrace their underdog role, although references to Hartford South still rankle ("When was the last time you heard the Avalanche being referred to as the 'Nordique-Avs'?" complained a poster on canescountry.com). What doesn't rankle is the wallet- and fan-friendly Hurricane Experience. After all, what's better than an elite team that loves you back at a bargain-basement price? Not much. Even before this spring's playoff run, which included two Game 7 road wins, the Hurricanes offered an "Ice Your Price" plan that guaranteed a two-year freeze on season-ticket costs. As it was, the Canes' average ticket price of $38.38 was already fifth lowest in the NHL, and only one (the Blues) of the three teams with cheaper ducats made the playoffs. As for the requited love, PR chief Mike Sundheim says the team prides itself on making players accessible to the community. Practices at the RBC Center are open to the public, and weekend workouts draw hundreds of fans. Best of all, players stick around afterward to sign autographs. Even visitors are impressed by the Canes-Caniacs love affair. "They know that they are no longer a bandwagon mob," blogged one Bruins supporter who road-tripped to Canes country during Boston's unhappy conference semis, "and they want everyone to know it." Thanks to the team's showing in our Ultimate Standings, everybody does.
Every Team Ranked:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings
icehog3 11:08 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by SilverFox:
Damn if I dont ągree with you.

I think for the Hawks it comes down to the netminder. Those young lads have proven they have what it takes.
Pray for one of the rookies to be a phenom if Huet craps his pants! :-)

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
In ESPN the Magazine's ULTIMATE Team Standings - rating all major professional sports teams, they picked the Carolina Hurricanes as:

#1 Hockey Franchise

#2 Sports Franchise overall!
(LA Angels of Anaheim were selected #1 Overall)
I think the Blackhawks moved up from second to last (#121) 2 years ago into the 21st spot this year. :-)
SmokeyJoe 11:11 PM 07-16-2009
I think the Blackhawks moved up from second to last (#121) 2 years ago into the 21st spot this year. :-)
Yes they did! Called them a "real life Rocky story." :-)

All teams ranked:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/teamrankings
BarneyBandMan 01:56 PM 07-17-2009
Whoo Hoo!! Go Canes!!!!

We got da ti--ckets
We got da ti--ckets

Yesterday was a great day. Got the seats we wanted!

Oh yeah, and as far as our ESPN ranking, they seemed pretty spot-on about it all. Hoot Hoot :-)
GHC_Hambone 06:41 PM 07-21-2009
Here's a good video to hold you over until next season!

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=618&id=45106
icehog3 10:21 PM 07-21-2009
Bad news for Hawks fans.....rumor is Hossa has a shoulder or rotator cuff injury and needs surgery that would keep him out until December. :-):-)

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/blog/675
GHC_Hambone 11:01 PM 07-21-2009
Bad news for Hawks fans.....rumor is Hossa has a shoulder or rotator cuff injury and needs surgery that would keep him out until December. :-):-)

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/blog/675
This is typical BS I've come to expect. McD is just looking to sign the big names.
icehog3 11:04 PM 07-21-2009
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone:
This is typical BS I've come to expect. McD is just looking to sign the big names.
I assume they gave him a physical, and knew of this before signing him? :-)
GHC_Hambone 11:41 PM 07-21-2009
I assume they gave him a physical, and knew of this before signing him? :-)
I would assume the same. Personally I think McD is out to sign the big names, but doesn't have much hockey sense. I mean yes, we do have him locked up long term, but with some big contracts coming to an end soon we need to strike now. Having him out until December, with Havlat gone will hurt the team. And who knows how Huet will perform this season as the clear #1.

I may be a pessimistic fan, but it seems like the team is on the brink of falling apart if we dont make some smarter moves in the future. I've seen the Hawks when they were terrible and I don't want to go back.
alley00p 12:05 AM 07-22-2009
Tom, you are welcome to Hossa, IMHO. He played in two consecutive Cup Finals, and ended up on the losing side each time. If he could have actually mustered some offense against his old team this year, Detroit might have had the Cup again!

Of course, he wasn't the only one that didn't play well in the Finals, but I'm not sorry to see him go. I will miss Hudler, though!

:-)
grawk 06:52 AM 07-22-2009
The wings somehow managed to forget to show up for the cup finals. I think they just wanted cindy to have a cup.
smokeyandthebandit05 07:01 AM 07-22-2009
GO DEVILS!!!:-):-)

Hopefully we can pull it together this year..
icehog3 08:38 AM 07-22-2009
Originally Posted by alley00p:
Tom, you are welcome to Hossa, IMHO. He played in two consecutive Cup Finals, and ended up on the losing side each time. If he could have actually mustered some offense against his old team this year, Detroit might have had the Cup again!

Of course, he wasn't the only one that didn't play well in the Finals, but I'm not sorry to see him go. I will miss Hudler, though!
As long as the Hawks make the Finals and lose, I am satisified Charlie! :-) :-)

Originally Posted by grawk:
The wings somehow managed to forget to show up for the cup finals. I think they just wanted cindy to have a cup.
They took the Pens to 7 games and lost in Game 7 by 1 goal. :-)
wrench turner 85 08:45 AM 07-22-2009
Like last year canes all the way baby. Taken it back to the carloinas. Boush
alley00p 10:20 PM 07-22-2009
As long as the Hawks make the Finals and lose, I am satisified Charlie! :-) :-)
That's ok with me, I've always enjoyed watching the Hawks play, and I've been very disappointed with the team's play over the past years! They have built a very good organization, and I know they should do well this season!

Originally Posted by grawk:
They took the Pens to 7 games and lost in Game 7 by 1 goal. :-)
Yep. I can't disagree, their game just wasn't there in game 7. The Pens definitely didn't want to lose twice to the Wings - They were the better team, and I hate to say it, but they deserved the Cup this year!

:-)
kugie 10:25 PM 07-22-2009
LETS Go BRUINS!!!!!!!!
grawk 07:55 AM 07-23-2009
The wings may have kept it close, but watching the games, they just weren't playing like they'd played in 90% of the rest of the last 2 seasons. The penguins weren't the better team, they just kept their foot on the gas.
Partagaspete 07:01 AM 07-25-2009
I expect my Isles to have a better season than last year.:-)
icehog3 09:18 AM 07-25-2009
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
I expect my Isles to have a better season than last year.:-)
I expect gold bullion to fall from the heavens. :-) :-)
Page 2 of 130
< 12 341252102 > Last »
Up