Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>"Yellow Band" Dominican 'Cohiba'???
Mr Edmundo 04:23 PM 07-09-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2,1036,00.html

And they won another a year later and this one is about the Yellow Band Dominican Cohiba.
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=8663416
I'm not sure if these articles apply to the OP's original question. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the first article is specifically Cohiba from Cuba filing the lawsuit against the red dot Cohiba's use of the name.

The second article is a lawsuit involving a Carribean company using the name Cohiba. But not specifically the DR. And "Carribean's Finest" doesn't appear anywhere on the ones that I've seen. So I'm not sure if this applies to the same cigars in question.

I asked about this a long time ago. Seems to me that there also was a lawsuit with the Dominican Cohiba and the Red Dot for rights to use the name in the US and the Red Dot version won.
But these are now only sold only in the Dominican, or something like that. I know they do appear in some BMs, but how they got there, who knows.

My brother in law picked up a box of these while in the DR. And yes they were in a glass top box. But that doesn't make them fake, as they are not pretending to be Cubans.
And they are not terrible to smoke, but are extremely mild, yard gar. Nothing to get excited about. But to label them fakes is kinda like saying fun furs aren't worth buying because they are fake. Neither are claiming to be the real thing.
[Reply]
johnpalley 10:10 AM 11-03-2010
guys maybe i dont know anything about cigars but i just smoked one of these yellow band cohibas that my friend brought back from the dominican republic and i loved them. i want to buy some of these bad. does anyone know a website i can buy these from?
[Reply]
bigdix 10:22 AM 11-03-2010
I learn something every day here....
[Reply]
warren G. 11:39 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by bigdix:
I learn something every day here....
You're not the only one :-)
[Reply]
Commander Quan 01:13 PM 11-03-2010
I wouldn't doubt the fact that these are even fake DOMINICAN Cohibas. When I was there in September I walked up to a shack on the beach that was selling glass top Fuentes, and Dominican Partagas cigars, all clearly fake.
[Reply]
johnpalley 12:39 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by johnpalley:
guys maybe i dont know anything about cigars but i just smoked one of these yellow band cohibas that my friend brought back from the dominican republic and i loved them. i want to buy some of these bad. does anyone know a website i can buy these from?
i just smoked a padron corticos and it didnt come close to these yellow bands. as a matter of fact i didnt even like them. i gotta find a way to get these?
[Reply]
icehog3 01:43 AM 01-02-2011
i just smoked a padron corticos and it didnt come close to these yellow bands. as a matter of fact i didnt even like them. i gotta find a way to get these?
Unless you can find a B&M that has been sitting on some for a couple years, I would guess you are S.O.L. .
[Reply]
johnpalley 02:39 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Unless you can find a B&M that has been sitting on some for a couple years, I would guess you are S.O.L. .
my friend brought me one back from the dominican republic a few months ago so there still being made. i just gotta find a way to get my hands on them. if someone knows a place that has them in the boston area please let me know
[Reply]
justonemorestick 08:32 AM 01-02-2011
so do we get a review on these?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:33 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by justonemorestick:
Why would you want one? :-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:37 AM 01-02-2011
my friend brought me one back from the dominican republic a few months ago so there still being made. i just gotta find a way to get my hands on them. if someone knows a place that has them in the boston area please let me know
I think Tom is pretty much right, unless you have a friend in the DR.

A few years ago I had a discussion with Steve R. @ Cigars International about these cigars (how we ended up on the topic, I don't remember) but if I'm remembering the conversation correctly, he said they were still in production by Monti Cristi, but they weren't allowed to export, you can only get them there.
[Reply]
T.G 08:43 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by justonemorestick:
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Why would you want one? :-)
I wasn't there for this but I think Bob recently tried to smoke one of these up in Chico. I believe it ended up in D's tomato planter very shortly after lighting.
[Reply]
guitar4001 08:44 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
There ARE legit Dominican Cohibas. the "Red Dot" Cohibas had a huge lawsuit with the Dominican Indian head Cohibas a while ago. The legit ones were made by Monti Cristi. Here are some i have from a while ago that are pre lawsuit Dominicans.
there was a shop near raleigh that carried the yellow band dominican cohibas. My understanding is the same as the quote above - the non-red dot brand got sued by the big boys.
[Reply]
johnpalley 11:31 AM 01-02-2011
i would love for someone to give a review on these because if i cant get them again i would at least like to find another cigar thats similar in taste. im new to cigars so i dont know how to describe the taste of these. any info on these would be greatly appreciated. anyone know the kind of wrappers these have? maduro? it was a real dark color. would you consider these mild or medium? these things were so sweat that i smoked one all the way down till i burned my finger. just so you guys know im talking about the same cigar these were like a 32 ring and said republica dominicana on the band.
[Reply]
T.G 12:17 PM 01-02-2011
i would love for someone to give a review on these because if i cant get them again i would at least like to find another cigar thats similar in taste. im new to cigars so i dont know how to describe the taste of these. any info on these would be greatly appreciated. anyone know the kind of wrappers these have? maduro? it was a real dark color.
Maduro isn't a type of wrapper, it's a shade. Any type of tobacco can be made "maduro" with longer fermentation to a darker color, although there are a few that are hardly, if ever seen. I don't know what wrapper is on these, it could have been any number of possibilities.

You might be able to describe it, sure, you might not pick up the essence of old elderberries or something, but you can probably get some what of a description down. Try describing in simple terms - sweet, sour, salty, bitter... Was there any distinct flavor in there that reminded you of any foods or other cigars?

would you consider these mild or medium? these things were so sweat that i smoked one all the way down till i burned my finger.
:-)
:-)

Mild or medium, I don't know. What cigars have you smoked that had about the same mouthfeel of the smoke? Was it heavy, chewy, light, airy, velvety?

Did you feel at any point like the cigar was going to push you down, give you a buzz or make you woozy or even sick? To most smokers starting out, these are how a heavy, full bodied, strong cigar would manifest itself.

just so you guys know im talking about the same cigar these were like a 32 ring and said republica dominicana on the band.
32 is really narrow, that's only a half inch in diameter. An "AA" battery is about a 36. Regardless, it could have been anything. You might be better off going through the CI, Famous, Holts and JR websites and finding and ordering samplers with lots of Dominican or primarily Dominican cigars in them. You might never find that exact cigar flavor again, but it will broaden your horizons and experience along with possibly allowing you to find some new cigars that you enjoy. :-)
[Reply]
justonemorestick 12:18 PM 01-02-2011
I was just curious there seems to be a lot of there are much better it is nothing compared to this one and so and so smoked one and it didnt go well.
[Reply]
johnpalley 12:36 PM 01-02-2011
T.G, i wish i could describe the taste but i really cant. it was just a real sweet tobacco taste that just lingered in your mouth and the shorter the cigar got the better it tasted. ive read about plenty of people smoking these i just need one of those people to see this thread so they can describe these in more detail
[Reply]
johnpalley 12:45 PM 01-02-2011
these are cigars i recently ordered. this is my first cigar order ever to try to hunt down a similar cigar. at the same time though im searching for stuff i might like

1. Montecristo - White - Prontos Petite - Natural - 4" x 33 Tins of 10
2. Sancho Panza - Honduran - Matadors - Natural - 4" x 24 Tin of 10
3. Arturo Fuente - Gran Reserva - Exquisitos - Sun Grown - 4" x 30
4. Arturo Fuente - Gran Reserva - Exquisitos - Maduro - 4" x 30 Single
5. Padron - Classic - Corticos - Natural - 4 1/4" x 35 Tin of 6
6. CAO - Flavours - Moontrance - Tubos - Natural - 4 3/4" x 30 Single
7. CAO - L`Anniversaire Cameroon - Cigarillos - Natural - 4" x 30 -10
8. CAO - L`Anniversaire Maduro - Cigarillos - Maduro - 4" x 30Tin of10
9. CAO - Flavours - Caramelo Joe - Tubos - Natural - 4 3/4" x 30 Single
10. Tatiana - Dolce - Chocolate - Natural - 5" x 30 Single
11. Partagas - Classic - Puritos - Natural - 4 3/16" x 32 Tin of 10
12. Ashton - Classic - Esquire - Maduro - 4 1/2" x 32 Tin of 10
13. Ashton - Classic - Esquire - Natural - 4 1/2" x 32 Tin of 10
14. 601 - Habano - Guapito - Natural - 4" x 32 Single
15. Tatuaje - Cabaiguan - Petites - Natural - 4 1/2" x 32 Single
16. Zino - Platinum Scepter - XS - Natural - 4" x 30 Tin of 10
17. La Flor Dominicana - Little Cigars - Mojitos - Natural -4" x30Tinof 10
18. Don Pepin - Don Pepin Blue Label - Demi Tasse - Natural 4 1/2" x32
19. La Gloria Cubana - Classic - Glorias Petit - Maduro - 4 5/16" x 32
20. La Gloria Cubana - Classic - Glorias Petit - Natural - 4 5/16" x 32
21. Oliva - Serie G - Cigarillos - Natural - 4" x 38 Tin of 5
22. Carlos Torano - Exodus 1959 - Cigarillos - Natural - 4 1/8" x 30
23. H Upmann - Classic - Demi Tasse 5 Pack - Natural - 4 1/2" x 33

ive smoked both ashtons, Sancho Panza, the motecristo whites, the oliva Serie G and the padron corticos and none of these are coming close to the yellow bands. i still got alot more to smoke but this has me worried that im not gonna be able to find something i like as much. ive also got a list of another 25 types im gonna order in the future
[Reply]
T.G 01:11 PM 01-02-2011
Any one of us that has been smoking for awhile has probably been faced with having a cigar we greatly enjoyed become unavailable or unobtainable, so we just remember the cigar pleasantly and move on. Cigar smoking isn't a race to find the perfect cigar, it's a journey of enjoyment.
[Reply]
johnpalley 01:17 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Any one of us that has been smoking for awhile has probably been faced with having a cigar we greatly enjoyed become unavailable or unobtainable, so we just remember the cigar pleasantly and move on. Cigar smoking isn't a race to find the perfect cigar, it's a journey of enjoyment.
yeah but even though a cigar you might of had is unobtainable, you personally could probably describe how it tasted so you can get a similar taste. im new to this so i dont know how to describe the taste. thats whats killing me. i know im probably never gonna find these again unless i go to the dr. you also said that cigar smoking is a journey of enjoyment, i agree. those 5-6 cigars i listed earlier that i smoked, i didnt enjoy them. i pretty much through them out halfway through. im trying to find something i love and i never even liked cigars untill i smoked the yellow band. i usually smoke nat sherman cigarettes
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up