Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>Tour de France
GreekGodX 06:53 PM 07-10-2009
The next 2 stages we are gonna see what the riders are really made of! I'm excited to see how the Team Astana drama works out..
[Reply]
Opusfxd 11:54 PM 07-10-2009
Two words for Astana - LeMond/Hinault. Let's hope it's not a sequel.
[Reply]
Alpedhuez55 10:32 AM 07-12-2009
Originally Posted by Opusfxd:
Two words for Astana - LeMond/Hinault. Let's hope it's not a sequel.
It is looking like that. You wonder if the last week will look like Telecom a few years back when the teammates Vino & Ullrich were covering each others attacks. And will the team favor one rider over the other or break into factions.

You can tell when Lance is pissed off in his interviews. Even Levi danced around the issue this morning. You got the early season impression that Lance may support Contador. It seems like there was some agreement broken the other day. But I am not sure if Lance can ride with Contador.

The problem is the schedule, everything is packed into the last week. You only had one mountain finish and a short time trial so far. The last two stages had high mountains, but a long run to the finish, so attacks were minimal. Then now you have to see them wait another week before there is another mountain stage. There is no time trial to help establish a clear team leader until the middle of next week. So now you have a week for tensions to simmer on the Astana team.
[Reply]
Noodles 11:44 AM 07-16-2009
What stage will they climb Alpe D Huez? I need to take a day off.
[Reply]
gorob23 12:28 PM 07-16-2009
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
What stage will they climb Alpe D Huez? I need to take a day off.
You ride? why didn't you bring your bike! Stupid m$*^$*@ why didn't you bring it we could have gone riding! Your too damn light you would need a weight belt but I have been slowly getting back to the ride. Record the tour and go to work so you can make the return trip soon:-)
Rob

Stage 20

MONT VENTOUX
Jacques Goddet called Mont Ventoux “a gigantic upside-down top measuring 21 kilometres around at the base”. The highest point in Provence has always been a key moment in the race. This is where Bobet outdistanced Gaul in 1955, partly ensuring his third title; the Luxembourg rider got even with him three years later. In 1970 Eddy Merckx suffered and passed out at the top. Armstrong lost here to Pantani in 2000 and Virenque in 2002. But no rider has ever won this stage twice. Ventoux is unbeatable. :-)
[Reply]
imthegoal 07:22 AM 07-17-2009
You got to feel sorry for Leipheimer. Sucks that he is out of the tour.
[Reply]
Footbag 09:47 AM 07-19-2009
Todays race was amazing. If Lance could've kept pace, he would've. Contador looks amazing.

Gotta love the mountains!
[Reply]
Joan 11:06 AM 07-19-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Todays race was amazing. If Lance could've kept pace, he would've. Contador looks amazing.

Gotta love the mountains!
I'm still trying to figure out which factors kept George five seconds off yesterday. Interviews point to lack of communication between Garmin and the sprinters, but is that really IT?:-)

(from my mobile device)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:07 AM 07-19-2009
I was hoping for the 8th victory for Lance Armstrong, but after today I think that won't happen.
[Reply]
gorob23 01:31 PM 07-19-2009
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I was hoping for the 8th victory for Lance Armstrong, but after today I think that won't happen.
Mmm "Not so fast my friend" it would appear that your correct!

AND Lance did say he was out of it, but let's wait and see IF he stays within reach and maybe the TT is going to decided. It could be he is not good enough to get # 8 or it could be that he is waiting. he is still one of the best and time will tell :-)

Rob
[Reply]
Joan 09:57 PM 07-19-2009
Originally Posted by gorob23:
Mmm "Not so fast my friend" it would appear that your correct!

AND Lance did say he was out of it, but let's wait and see IF he stays within reach and maybe the TT is going to decided. It could be he is not good enough to get # 8 or it could be that he is waiting. he is still one of the best and time will tell :-)

Rob
:-)

Er, I mean what Gorob said! :-)
[Reply]
Noodles 06:57 AM 07-20-2009
I'm actually quite surprised Lance is way up in the standings at this point. I didn't expect him to get #8. I initially thought it would be a great achievement if he finishes in top 5. I yesterday's stage is any indication, I expect Lance to drop in the standing even further. I wouldn't be suprise if Sastre finishes ahead of LA.

If Contador is not with a strong team with a great director (Johan Bruynell), will he still be as good as he is?
[Reply]
Footbag 09:00 AM 07-20-2009
Rest Day: Time to over analyze the race...

I think that Contador is looking much stronger then Lance. Lance needs a team to crack the group. Without Levi, it's going to be very hard. Losing Levi hurt Lance more then just the "20%" as I heard him explain it. It pretty much solidified the stronger rider as the team leader.
If I were Lance, I'd tell Contador to go for it.
I'm a bit skeptical that there really is much drama in Astana at this point. They are very professional, and know who the best mountain rider is on the team.
[Reply]
Noodles 10:42 AM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Rest Day: Time to over analyze the race...

I think that Contador is looking much stronger then Lance. Lance needs a team to crack the group. Without Levi, it's going to be very hard. Losing Levi hurt Lance more then just the "20%" as I heard him explain it. It pretty much solidified the stronger rider as the team leader.
If I were Lance, I'd tell Contador to go for it.
I'm a bit skeptical that there really is much drama in Astana at this point. They are very professional, and know who the best mountain rider is on the team.
Drama is over. AC is the Astana man. Notice that LA didn't mention anything about playing the good team mate and not chasing AC when AC let loose? He just doesn't have the legs to stay with the best climbers.

AC is a lock unless he rides the St. Bernard given to him :-). I'm wondering who will Astana protect next week, Armstrong or Kloden. Kloden look stronger than Armstrong yesterday. He even had a better ITT than armstrong. It will be very interesting how Armstrong body respond to next weeks mountain stages. He always had the best condition besides this tour.
[Reply]
Opusfxd 08:17 PM 07-20-2009
Is it tomorrow yet? I'd like to get a better picture to figure out if Lance was being polite that last stage, out of gas or if he's going to play super domestique. Yeah, I still believe. :-) Contador did look very impressive yesterday and looks like he'll pretty much hold his own.

BTW, I'm glad this race finally has something to talk about besides pass the no doze.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:53 PM 07-20-2009
I will leave the office early today, so I can watch the race
[Reply]
Steve 06:55 AM 07-21-2009
I think I would opt for cagy. He sure looks like he is out for a Sunday training ride at the end of the stage while a lot of the others sure look beat.

Originally Posted by Opusfxd:
Is it tomorrow yet? I'd like to get a better picture to figure out if Lance was being polite that last stage, out of gas or if he's going to play super domestique. Yeah, I still believe. :-) Contador did look very impressive yesterday and looks like he'll pretty much hold his own.

BTW, I'm glad this race finally has something to talk about besides pass the no doze.

[Reply]
imthegoal 12:24 PM 07-21-2009
The way he covered that gap today was quite impressive. I think if he is able to keep it close he should be able to make up time during the time trial. This could become a truly epic Tour.
[Reply]
Steve 01:52 PM 07-21-2009
He is a Manimal!
[Reply]
gorob23 04:07 PM 07-21-2009
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
Drama is over. AC is the Astana man. Notice that LA didn't mention anything about playing the good team mate and not chasing AC when AC let loose? He just doesn't have the legs to stay with the best climbers.

AC is a lock unless he rides the St. Bernard given to him :-). I'm wondering who will Astana protect next week, Armstrong or Kloden. Kloden look stronger than Armstrong yesterday. He even had a better ITT than armstrong. It will be very interesting how Armstrong body respond to next weeks mountain stages. He always had the best condition besides this tour.
NOT SO FAST MY BOOKEND FRIEND!

you kids you never give us old guys credit! Lance may or may not be done. The thing he has learned is that you don't show all your cards because you never know. The race goes ALL the way until the end.
I mean really did you smoke ONE cigar at So cal and say that's it I'm done! :-)

Stupid Me&^%!@:-)

Rob :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up