Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Project of the Day : Desktop Humi
akakirby 02:00 PM 06-16-2009
Wow, very nice! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:02 PM 06-16-2009
The beads go behind the unscewable doohickey you see here.
It's vented beneath, and the cover is made so you can't see it.
The beads will keep it rock solid, along with the closed cell gasket and latch.

[Reply]
av8tor152d 02:03 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
The beads go behind the unscewable doohickey you see here.
It's vented beneath, and the cover is made so you can't see it.
The beads will keep it rock solid, along with the closed cell gasket and latch.

Very crafty idea indeed. I like it!
[Reply]
shilala 02:04 PM 06-16-2009
Brass feet on four corners.

[Reply]
shilala 02:05 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Who were the guys that you were gonna build them for? Was it two or three?
Two guys. I probably shouldn't say who.
[Reply]
shilala 02:07 PM 06-16-2009
Dual brass barrel hinges, they only open so far, by design.

[Reply]
av8tor152d 02:08 PM 06-16-2009
Just curious but how long does it take to put together something like that Scott ?
[Reply]
ahc4353 02:10 PM 06-16-2009
What's the green stuff?
[Reply]
shilala 02:14 PM 06-16-2009
Poly-brass handles.
You can see the gloss here pretty good. There's four undercoatings of sandable lacquer and no less than 10 layers of Poly on this thing. The finish was the killer because the wood is so grainy and uneven and full of natural imperfections.
I didn't want to fill the imperfections because it's what gives the zebrawood it's special look and feel and warmth.
That's why I also made the divider removable and non-adjustable, so that a person can appreciate the grain and look of the zebrawood.
It's totally awesome, but sheer hell to work with. Hard as nails, wrecks tools, and likes to explode.

[Reply]
shilala 02:15 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
What's the green stuff?
The reflection of the grass in my yard, dipwad. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 02:20 PM 06-16-2009
The last shot is the interior.
The Spanish Cedar was the absolute best I have ever worked with. The smell when I opened this for the pics was incredible.
All I need to do is season it, make beads, and fix a screw, and I can ship it out this week.
It'll make an awesome desktop, or even better drybox.
I'd keep it for my own bad self, but it's been bought, paid for, and waited on for months.

[Reply]
shilala 02:29 PM 06-16-2009
Because of the botl's that were willing to sponsor my dumb ass, in the last six months my woodworking skills have come along by leaps and bounds.
The wood makes a guy learn his tools, and I've learned my way around them very well. I only sawed the pads off my fingers once, and it was only three of them, so that wasn't too bad.
I've completely stopped hurting myself with the table saw now.
I can crank out boxes pretty fast, and have bought the stuff I need to do what I want to do "the right way".
I'm just finishing up a desktop thermoelctric that is the coolest thing on earth, and it's turning out very well. The reason it's turning out so well is because of these couple half-assed boxes the brothers were willing to sponsor.
I've built a lot of other things by improving on techniques I learned making these boxes, and the quality, fit and finish gets better every time.
The point is...
Were it not for the brothers that sponsored this effort, I'd not have learned what I've learned. You can't price the gift of knowledge, and there aren't words to describe the thanks.
Best I can say is that there's an incredible amount of love involved in these boxes from many different angles. It's great testimony to goodness of our brotherhood.
Peace out. :-)
[Reply]
ahc4353 02:33 PM 06-16-2009
The reflection of the grass in my yard, dipwad. :-)

Looks like stain, numnuts. :-)
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 02:38 PM 06-16-2009
Full shot...

That is awesome man. Great Job :-)
[Reply]
sikk50 02:38 PM 06-16-2009
Incredible Scott!
[Reply]
marge796 02:40 PM 06-16-2009
Looks great Scott.

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Old Sailor 02:41 PM 06-16-2009
Awesome job Scott, well done!
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:44 PM 06-16-2009
Beautiful looking humi Scott...great work!!
[Reply]
SilverFox 03:17 PM 06-16-2009
Full shot...

Because of the botl's that were willing to sponsor my dumb ass, in the last six months my woodworking skills have come along by leaps and bounds.
The wood makes a guy learn his tools, and I've learned my way around them very well. I only sawed the pads off my fingers once, and it was only three of them, so that wasn't too bad.
I've completely stopped hurting myself with the table saw now.
I can crank out boxes pretty fast, and have bought the stuff I need to do what I want to do "the right way".
I'm just finishing up a desktop thermoelctric that is the coolest thing on earth, and it's turning out very well. The reason it's turning out so well is because of these couple half-assed boxes the brothers were willing to sponsor.
I've built a lot of other things by improving on techniques I learned making these boxes, and the quality, fit and finish gets better every time.
The point is...
Were it not for the brothers that sponsored this effort, I'd not have learned what I've learned. You can't price the gift of knowledge, and there aren't words to describe the thanks.
Best I can say is that there's an incredible amount of love involved in these boxes from many different angles. It's great testimony to goodness of our brotherhood.
Peace out. :-)

Sometimes stuff happens, and patience is an easy gift to grant.

In the end things are usually worth the wait. :-)

That is a beautiful piece of work Scott.

[Reply]
dubnick 03:26 PM 06-16-2009
Absolutely amazing craftsmanship!!!!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up