Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>Favre
RevSmoke 10:09 AM 05-07-2009
I loved Brett, but I am first of all a Packer fan. I wanted him to come back, but I also realized some things were going on that needed to be worked out.

Here is a summary of how I see this whole mess - from the beginning.

For three years, Green Bay put everything on hold while the man made a decision whether to play or retire. Their free agency moves and draft picks were made figuring he'd be in the mix.

In 2008, they pushed him to make a decision, yes. But Green Bay asked him - three times, if he was coming back - they wanted him to do so. Three times he said, "NO!" Then, made an emotional, tear-jerking announcement as such.

In the free agency market and draft of 2008, the made their moves, building a team "knowing" (by Brett's own announcement) that they would not have #4 in the line-up.

Then, he wants to come back. GB says, "We've made our moves without you. We've built a team that doesn't revolve around you. If you want to come back, realize that."

Brett, "I want to come back, but on my terms. If I cannot, then let me go."

And now, he wants to stick it to the Packers? OK, to Ted Thompson? I just don't get that.
[Reply]
14holestogie 10:17 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I loved Brett, but I am first of all a Packer fan. I wanted him to come back, but I also realized some things were going on that needed to be worked out.

Here is a summary of how I see this whole mess - from the beginning.

For three years, Green Bay put everything on hold while the man made a decision whether to play or retire. Their free agency moves and draft picks were made figuring he'd be in the mix.

In 2008, they pushed him to make a decision, yes. But Green Bay asked him - three times, if he was coming back - they wanted him to do so. Three times he said, "NO!" Then, made an emotional, tear-jerking announcement as such.

In the free agency market and draft of 2008, the made their moves, building a team "knowing" (by Brett's own announcement) that they would not have #4 in the line-up.

Then, he wants to come back. GB says, "We've made our moves without you. We've built a team that doesn't revolve around you. If you want to come back, realize that."

Brett, "I want to come back, but on my terms. If I cannot, then let me go."

And now, he wants to stick it to the Packers? OK, to Ted Thompson? I just don't get that.

A great player? Yes.

Still some gas in the tank?
Perhaps.

A mature team player?
Not a prayer.

He could have retired as an icon (and probably still will be considered one after all the smoke has cleared), but he has certainly burned some bridges along the way.

I wish him well and in the right system with a team around him, he may be able to help. The Vikings fit that bill.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:39 AM 05-07-2009
I want a cookie :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:56 AM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
A great player? Yes.

Still some gas in the tank?
Perhaps.

A mature team player?
Not a prayer.

He could have retired as an icon (and probably still will be considered one after all the smoke has cleared), but he has certainly burned some bridges along the way.

I wish him well and in the right system with a team around him, he may be able to help. The Vikings fit that bill.
:-) which team were you on?
[Reply]
wshan 10:57 PM 05-10-2009
I hope he does come back and play for the vikings...I think Harvin gets rookie of the year awards then.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:02 PM 05-12-2009
So looks like he send his X-rays to the Vikes after saying he was for sure not coming out.
More drama!

[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:11 PM 05-12-2009
hello, lets fan the fire:-)
[Reply]
jledou 06:31 AM 05-13-2009
Farve drops back ... throws the long ball ... and it's complete for a 20 yard gain!

" ... don't go away mad ... just go away ..."

catchy song tune if I remember right :-)
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:51 AM 05-13-2009
I would love to be at Lambeau if he comes back as a Viking.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:49 PM 05-23-2009
Two words...STAY RETIRED!!!
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 06:51 AM 05-24-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Two words...STAY RETIRED!!!
:-)
[Reply]
The Poet 11:29 AM 06-06-2009
A man is entitled to a job, if he's still able to work - don't matter if he's a QB or a plumber. Besides, he spent last year as my neighbor (well, sort of), and everybody in these parts had nothing but nice things to say about him. They thought he was a dumb redneck, but a nice one.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up