Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 10
< 12 34 > Last »
General Discussion>Lets talk about the Swine flu...
AdamC 04:34 PM 04-28-2009
Swine Flu is nothing to worry about. I will not contribute to the panic that is going on at my work place about it. When, more than 1000 people die from it then start worrying
[Reply]
AdamC 04:41 PM 04-28-2009
anyone ever see outbreak?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:27 PM 04-28-2009
The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu" or "H1N1 strain". I'm not joking. The pork industry is starting to take a hit.
I caught the "Russian flu" of '77-'78. It was H1N1. It was a very bad flu. First time I realized a flu can kill you.
Most people die of secondary infections. The virus can cause pulmonary edema (fluid filling your lungs) directly. You try to inhale and nothing happens.
[Reply]
white_s2k 05:30 PM 04-28-2009
Received over 300 doses of Tamiflu at my pharmacy from corporate this morning.

Guess it's better to have too much, than not enough.

We've been getting 6-7 scripts a day for it this week. We'll see what happens..
[Reply]
SeanGAR 05:38 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu" or "H1N1 strain". I'm not joking. The pork industry is starting to take a hit.
Somebody mentioned on PBS this morning that you can't get the swine flu from eating pork. Well, DUH. Are people that dumb?
[Reply]
ca21455 05:55 PM 04-28-2009
If it does hit the US hard, I am not sure what would be worse...sitting at home suffering from the flu or trying to keep up at work with everyone out sick. The most probable scenario is you will get to do a little of both.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:59 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by AdamC:
Swine Flu is nothing to worry about. I will not contribute to the panic that is going on at my work place about it. When, more than 1000 people die from it then start worrying
:-)
This is the safest time to live in the history of the world. I'm cautious, but not getting caught up in the media's scare tactics.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:00 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
Somebody mentioned on PBS this morning that you can't get the swine flu from eating pork. Well, DUH. Are people that dumb?
:-) I know than must be a rhetorical question!
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:02 PM 04-28-2009
I think there are worse things out there that need our attention. Like all the antibiotic resistant bugs.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:07 PM 04-28-2009
I was just looking at the Spanish flu of 1918 stats and it looks like my age group did all right. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 06:20 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by Associated Press:
NEW YORK – The global swine flu outbreak worsened Tuesday as authorities said hundreds of students at a New York school have fallen ill and federal officials said they expected to see U.S. deaths from the virus. Cuba suspended flights to and from Mexico, becoming the first country to impose a travel ban to the epicenter of the epidemic.

The mayor of the capital cracked down further on public life, closing gyms and swimming pools and ordering restaurants to limit service to takeout.

Confirmed cases were reported for the first time as far away as New Zealand and Israel, joining the United States, Canada, Britain and Spain.
Hundreds of kids in NY? This is not good.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 06:28 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
The "politically correct" term is now "Mexican flu"
Actually, it's the politically correct that were calling it the swine flu, vice Mexican. Large scale/pandemic influenza outbreaks have long been named for where the seem to originate, e.g. the asiatic (1889), spanish (1918), asian (1957), hong kong (1968) and russian (1977) flu's. I suspect people were worried about offending mexico...

I think what we need is a UN commission to develop a flu naming convention to ensure no one is offended during future pandemics. /sarcasm :-)
[Reply]
AdamC 06:43 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
This is the safest time to live in the history of the world. I'm cautious, but not getting caught up in the media's scare tactics.
I swear i cause a dr. at work to have a heart attack, I told her we had a possible swin flu patient and she like flipped out. Didn't even tell her I was kidding.
Lets see what happens.
[Reply]
smitdavi 07:28 PM 04-28-2009
You know, some times I wonder if it's just the media or if it really could be a pandemic :-)
[Reply]
Whee 07:31 PM 04-28-2009
Ex Wife #2 is the infection control nurse for a large catholic hospital here and she has meetings planned all week. They are concerned.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:34 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
You know, some times I wonder if it's just the media or if it really could be a pandemic :-)
This one sounds worse, but remember the big avian bird flu a couple years ago that wound up being no big epidemic. I'm a little upset with Matt Drudge that most of his news lately is dealing with the swine flu. You can't be too cautious, but I hate that the media is scaring everyone to death.
[Reply]
smitdavi 07:48 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Ex Wife #2 is the infection control nurse for a large catholic hospital here and she has meetings planned all week. They are concerned.
Katie's dad is in charge of Risk Management at Notre Dame and he's been in meetings too. Hell they actually had somebody on campus come down with it.

This one sounds worse, but remember the big avian bird flu a couple years ago that wound up being no big epidemic. I'm a little upset with Matt Drudge that most of his news lately is dealing with the swine flu. You can't be too cautious, but I hate that the media is scaring everyone to death.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm sure it's a serious thing, but the media puts everyone in a state of panic that I'm not sure is warranted. Oh well...we will see how it plays out in the next few weeks.
[Reply]
TXRebel 08:04 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by smitdavi:
IMHO, whenever the media mentions a virus, infection, disease, etc., there will be an increase in the number of cases reported. A lot of people that would not have gone to the doctor and or hospital, when they were sick, will go after it is reported by the media. Therefore the number of cases will rise.
[Reply]
Whee 09:14 PM 04-28-2009
http://www.wired.com/science/discove...dayintech_0324
Deja Vu, anyone?
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:20 PM 04-28-2009
I just read that the European Union health commissioner wants to rename it the "novel flu." Uh that's great and everything, but what do we name the next one? Novel flu II?:-) Maybe we should name pandemics like hurricanes.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 34 > Last »
Up