Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Tea Parties
replicant_argent 09:50 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
I think the nearest one is Chicago which I won't be able to make
federal bldg at noon, James, your google-fu sucks, get on it.
[Reply]
Tombstone 09:54 AM 04-15-2009
I will be attending
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:59 AM 04-15-2009
im going to commit arson in honor of the tea parties.... to a nice fat cigar tonight!!
[Reply]
Waynegro1 10:10 AM 04-15-2009
I'll be at Kiener Plaza in St. Louis for our Tea Party. Then off to a bar for a smoke and the NHL Playoffs!!

Kiener Plaza, STL:

Kiener Plaza, STL:
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:13 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
im going to commit arson in honor of the tea parties.... to a nice fat cigar tonight!!
I'm not sure that will make a statement to those that should get a message, but to each his Peter Principle own...
[Reply]
TheRealBonger 10:44 AM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by Waynegro1:
I'll be at Kiener Plaza in St. Louis for our Tea Party. Then off to a bar for a smoke and the NHL Playoffs!!

Kiener Plaza, STL:
:-) Sounds like a great plan!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:22 AM 04-15-2009
I brought a Taboo SFO Lancero to smoke. I think it's illegal to smoke (except pot) in Santa Cruz. Maybe they will use that as an excuse to persecute me.
[Reply]
Starscream 06:44 PM 04-15-2009
So, how did the tea parties go over today?
[Reply]
blugill 06:52 PM 04-15-2009
I had to work, some has to earn all the money they are going to tax me on....
Being in Oklahoma I feel that if Texas secedes then we won't be far behind.
[Reply]
AAlmeter 07:22 PM 04-15-2009
Wish I could have gone to today's, but I've got another couple months of working before I can take a day off....just so I can pay my tax bill.

We're having another on Saturday, to protest the state (as many know, NY is a royal hell hole). Most likely I'm going to pull a Rush Limbaugh and get the f out of NY once my latest contract is up.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:57 PM 04-15-2009
Someone fill me in on all this talk of Texas seceding from the union. Is there some sort of movement in talks? I know that there's a movement in California to split it in two, but it's never been taken seriously.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:59 PM 04-15-2009
Just talk. Ain't gonna happen. We already fought a bloody civil war. Sounds good- BUT- ain't gonna happen!
[Reply]
Starscream 08:59 PM 04-15-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I kinda wish the South would try it again sometimes(minus any and all racial issues). NY and CA have this country in check.
(Don't be fooled by my above comment)
Let it be known that I am a proud American, but there are times that I want to say fugg it.
[Reply]
BigAl_SC 04:07 AM 04-16-2009
Heard a good idea at a tea party yesterday. SC, Texas, Louisiana, Alaska all have state bills up for votes called the 'Sovereignty Bills'. In effect they state that that the federal government only has certain rights given by the constitution and all other rights are given to the states. If passed this would allow these states to take all the federal mandates and say 'forget you to the federal government'. The choice then would be if the federal government wished to push the states to follow their guides (and cause a backlash) or just give in. This could include taxes raised for roads, schools, ect not being collected with state protection for the citizens.

Be interesting to see where this goes especially if 20 other states jump on board.....
[Reply]
SeanGAR 05:13 AM 04-16-2009
I had a grant due so I was stuck at work, but I did throw some tea into a garbage can. I'm glad people are not letting this ridiculous bailout slide. The tax situation in this country is getting out of hand really fast.

I'd like Phil Gramm, Tom Harkin, Bill Clinton and others who sponsored, voted for or signed the garbage (Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000) that caused this mess to give all of their $ to people who are being affected by the banking crisis. Maybe we can call it a special tax on stupidity? Seriously ... if you create laws that have negative consequences, should we be letting those responsible slide?
[Reply]
TripleF 06:50 AM 04-16-2009
I certainly would have if I didn't have to work a double. :-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:26 AM 04-16-2009
Many states have balanced budget amendments and there is no reason the Federal government could not have the same or similar constraints put upon it with allowances for national security etc. built in.

Why do we never hear about employees of federal, state and local governments taking cuts? The wage and benefits comparison has changed pretty radically in the past 10 years in comparison to the private sector. Forcing this issue would also put pressure on lawmakers from a different perspective.... the 30% of people in this country who are employed by one of these entities.

When you add the 30% to those who get benefits from the government you have a voting majority i.e. employees + beneficiaries = a voting block that can keep electing folks who preserve their place at the trough to be fed by tax $$. Not a good sign for the future.
[Reply]
357 09:08 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Someone fill me in on all this talk of Texas seceding from the union. Is there some sort of movement in talks? I know that there's a movement in California to split it in two, but it's never been taken seriously.
Someone mentioned it at the Tea Party in San Antonio. Glenn Beck was being interviewed by Sean Hannity on Hannity's show last night. Glenn then said "I don't know about all that" but the crowd was cheering. Glen later said Texans love America and he believes that Texas just does "America" best, meaning the most true to the original American ideals/principals. The crown cheered again and chanted USA.
[Reply]
357 09:11 AM 04-16-2009
Originally Posted by BigAl_SC:
Heard a good idea at a tea party yesterday. SC, Texas, Louisiana, Alaska all have state bills up for votes called the 'Sovereignty Bills'. In effect they state that that the federal government only has certain rights given by the constitution and all other rights are given to the states. If passed this would allow these states to take all the federal mandates and say 'forget you to the federal government'. The choice then would be if the federal government wished to push the states to follow their guides (and cause a backlash) or just give in. This could include taxes raised for roads, schools, ect not being collected with state protection for the citizens.

Be interesting to see where this goes especially if 20 other states jump on board.....
The governor of Texas not only signed the bill but called out Obama publicly. It's about time someone stood up to the illegal pressure the feds put on state legislature. The fed can't force the states to pass laws outside the constitution so they withhold federal tax money until the states comply. It's total BS and illegal. Federal Congressmen and Senators who pass such laws should be imprisoned.
[Reply]
357 09:13 AM 04-16-2009
Sorry for a third straight post, but these Tea Parties look to me like the beginning of a serious conservative movement.

:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up