Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Siglo Limited Reserve
Texan in Mexico 09:44 PM 04-05-2009
Well said...

Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
Imperial Tobacco owns many of the Cuban brand names as well as the non-Cuban brand names. General Cigar owns the rest. Imperial Tobacco > General Cigar. It won't be much of an ordeal; General will make some kind of financial settlement and that's that; nobody's going to change names.

As for the Pete Johnson discussion...is it really a double standard? He is blending, rolling and packaging his cigars in the Cuban style, but what's wrong with that? That's the original, old way to do it regardless of where it came from. He's not copying any brands with the same packaging, art, bands, vitola names, etc. or claiming to have 150 years of history that he doesn't like Altadis and General do. He's not copying anything of theirs really, he's just doing it in their style. The closest thing Pete does to that is La Riqueza, but that's not a current Cuban brand anyway.

[Reply]
Addiction 06:03 AM 04-06-2009
I saw these in one of my buddies store and I bought one simply to have it in my humidor. And anyone who knows men knows I love a Siglo.

I don't know how I feel about it. I guess it kind of rankles me but so do Montecristos, RyJs and red dots. I mean its the same thing or worse, especially when they start touting the 100 year old tradition of red dot cohibas in their ads.

As far as Pepin or Pete I don't mind those. To package your original cigars in packaging thats close to a popular standard is acceptable (think Chrysler 300 to Bently), its the American way. But the line between that and outright ripoffs is thin and yellow and gold siglo VIs crosses that line in my opinion.
[Reply]
Addiction 06:08 AM 04-06-2009
One other slight correction. Imperial Tobacco doesn't own the Cuban Brands. Imperial Tobacco owns the right to distrubute cuban brands. Well technically Imperial owns half of SA Habanos, which owns the right to distribute cuban cigar brands. Cubatobacco owns the brands and tobacco, SA Habanos buys the cigars from Cubatobaco.

I'm pretty sure that means that Altadis will be OK when the Cubans come back to America. But I'd also be pretty sure that it means General will be screwed since Altadis has no reason not to give them the shaft.
[Reply]
md4958 07:21 AM 04-06-2009
I really dont follow where Pete Johnson is cheesy for packaging his cigars in cabinets? Most CCs are available in cabs AND dress boxes. Im really not sure how Pete Johnson got thrust into this conversation at all???

Perhaps its a marketing gimmick. But I find that most companies that NEED gimmicks, their products tend to not stack up to the competition. Tatuaje dont need to be gimmicky IMO. I think they are GREAT cigars. Full of flavor and almost always perfectly constructed.

Perhaps hes just paying homage to the the old-school way of doing things with the cabinets, and the simple (almost cheap) looking bands. After all, as somebody mentioned, these are Pepin products and I have no problem with tradition.

Maybe he just wants the cigars to speak for themselves.

Sorry to jack the OPs thread. I too saw the Siglios prominently displayed on the back of the cataloger and just shook my head.
[Reply]
Footbag 07:51 AM 04-06-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
I really dont follow where Pete Johnson is cheesy for packaging his cigars in cabinets? Most CCs are available in cabs AND dress boxes. Im really not sure how Pete Johnson got thrust into this conversation at all???
I didn't start it, but it's probably my fault.:-)
I just pointed out that Pete does a few things that I would consider cheesy if the cigars didn't stand on their own. Cabs, Green Labels, Factory Codes, Old Cuban Brand Names. Pete's lines are more about making cigar in the traditional Cuban way.
Best example, the triple cap. DPG does a better Triple cap then the Cubans IMO. This makes for a better cigar. Better construction and less likely to unravel. As does cab storage. So for those reasons, I can see why Pete does it.
I can also see where some sub-par brands would want to have their packaging look like Cuban packaging to stimulate sales. It probably works for a lot of people. I has seen a ton of those Dominican Cohibas before they were pulled from the market.
[Reply]
md4958 07:54 AM 04-06-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Best example, the triple cap. DPG does a better Triple cap then most Cubans IMO.
:-)

Agreed, with one alteration! (I try not to speak in absolutes)

The construction of Pepins cigars show the skill AND pride of the roller.
[Reply]
Footbag 07:56 AM 04-06-2009

Agreed, with one alteration!

The construction of Pepins cigars show the skill AND pride of the roller.
Totally agree, pride in ones work is the best form of quality control.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:03 AM 04-06-2009
I agree the triple cap = better construction...

Aside from the stuff you listed Pete also; makes RE's which is a poser thing to do IMO, has "secret" releases for cigars that aren't supposed to exist, and names cigars after boogey men... but they are DPG's so it's OK... BTW, I own and smoke more DPG than any other NC...

Originally Posted by Footbag:
I didn't start it, but it's probably my fault.:-)
I just pointed out that Pete does a few things that I would consider cheesy if the cigars didn't stand on their own. Cabs, Green Labels, Factory Codes, Old Cuban Brand Names. Pete's lines are more about making cigar in the traditional Cuban way.
Best example, the triple cap. DPG does a better Triple cap then the Cubans IMO. This makes for a better cigar. Better construction and less likely to unravel. As does cab storage. So for those reasons, I can see why Pete does it.
I can also see where some sub-par brands would want to have their packaging look like Cuban packaging to stimulate sales. It probably works for a lot of people. I has seen a ton of those Dominican Cohibas before they were pulled from the market.

[Reply]
md4958 08:09 AM 04-06-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:

Aside from the stuff you listed Pete also; makes RE's which is a poser thing to do IMO, has "secret" releases for cigars that aren't supposed to exist, and names cigars after boogey men... but they are DPG's so it's OK... BTW, I own and smoke more DPG than any other NC...
ok, that stuff above, Ive gotta admit, is unnecessary and all marketing.

I do love me some West and East costs though!
[Reply]
Footbag 08:16 AM 04-06-2009
ok, that stuff above, Ive gotta admit, is unnecessary and all marketing.

I do love me some West and East costs though!

But they're tasty. DPG's and Tat's are my goto NC's as well.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 08:21 AM 04-06-2009
lol, I smoked a Havana IV on Saturday!
[Reply]
md4958 08:40 AM 04-06-2009
lol, I smoked a Havana IV on Saturday!
another thread jack:

Try the Havana Veracrou (sp?) No 9. Its a Holts excluive and damn tasty! Had one of those yesterday.
[Reply]
oldforge 11:00 AM 04-06-2009
The ad that sent me over the edge was a vendor claim that La Aroma de Cuba was the brand loved by Winston Churchill.

The words are correct but the intent is simply fraud (imho).

---

Originally Posted by Addiction:
I saw these in one of my buddies store and I bought one simply to have it in my humidor. And anyone who knows men knows I love a Siglo.

I guess it kind of rankles me but so do Montecristos, RyJs and red dots. I mean its the same thing or worse, especially when they start touting the 100 year old tradition of red dot cohibas in their ads.

[Reply]
rizzle 08:52 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
As for the Pete Johnson discussion...is it really a double standard? He is blending, rolling and packaging his cigars in the Cuban style, but what's wrong with that? That's the original, old way to do it regardless of where it came from. He's not copying any brands with the same packaging, art, bands, vitola names, etc. or claiming to have 150 years of history that he doesn't like Altadis and General do. He's not copying anything of theirs really, he's just doing it in their style. The closest thing Pete does to that is La Riqueza, but that's not a current Cuban brand anyway.
Bingo. Very well put.

And what is HSA?
[Reply]
rizzle 08:59 AM 04-08-2009

But it's not a poser thing for cuban cigar maufacturers to produce an RE? Nah, no double standard at all.

I love the cc vs nc discussions and attitudes.:-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:56 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by Nabinger16:
I can pretty safely say I will never smoke one just because of its marketing.
In my opinion that is ignorant and snobbish x10 :-)

I have 1 question for you:

1. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?
[Reply]
SmokinApe 11:24 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
But it's not a poser thing for cuban cigar maufacturers to produce an RE? Nah, no double standard at all.

I love the cc vs nc discussions and attitudes.:-)

CC RE's are something that is ordered from the importer. Pete decided to make his own and selectively distribute them.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:39 AM 04-08-2009
They're nasty. Our rep gave me one before they were ready for production.
[Reply]
Nabinger16 11:46 AM 04-08-2009
Originally Posted by s15driftking:

I have 1 question for you:

1. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?
How many people bash on fake CC's around here that haven't even tried them?

They're real cigars too, just marketed to be something they are not. So is it...
ignorant and snobbish x10 :-)
for people to not smoke them just because of what they are or maybe are not?

There's so many good cigars on the market and I'll personally never be able to try them all. Why would I want to wast my time on a cigar that can't stand on its own merit and not be marketed like some poser?
[Reply]
Darrell 11:54 AM 04-08-2009
No, it's personal choice. Welcome to America Bobby.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up