Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>On the eve of Schip, any boycotters?
MedicCook 08:35 PM 03-31-2009
I though this was a current stock tax also. Not only are they going to hit the vendors new puchases but also tax what they have already purchased and placed into stock.
[Reply]
TripleF 08:37 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I think if you boycott all you will do is hurt the people trying to run their business especially the small mom & pop B&M's.

Wise words my friend. One wouldn't affect our goverment in any way by boycotting cigars, only hard-working Americans who took the chance to live a dream by starting their own business.
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:39 PM 03-31-2009
I though this was a current stock tax also. Not only are they going to hit the vendors new puchases but also tax what they have already purchased and placed into stock.
Nope the floor tax got removed from the final version.

Its my bet most stores will just raise everything tonight.

One store I was in today buying opus was having everyone working after close tonight, I assume to change prices :-)

Chas
[Reply]
TripleF 08:41 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by ChasDen:

Its my bet most stores will just raise everything tonight.

One store I was in today buying opus was having everyone working after close tonight, I assume to change prices :-)

Chas

Where I work we are not raising prices until we see it on the invoices. I dig my boss for doing that. We have received a couple of orders this week and haven't increased the price one penny. :-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 08:42 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Where I work we are not raising prices until we see it on the invoices. I dig my boss for doing that. We have received a couple of orders this week and haven't increased the price one penny. :-)

ME too :-)

That's the way it should be!

Thank him from me.

Chas
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:43 PM 03-31-2009
:-)The tax is filtering down from the manufacturer, they are getting taxed on the stock they are selling, which in turn means higher prices for the B+M's and higher prices we have to pay for our cigars. The only ones getting directly taxed are the manufacturers when they sell their product and the rest just see the trickle down of said tax. Atleast thats how it was explained to me. :-)
[Reply]
bookman 09:25 PM 03-31-2009
The more I think about it the more I think I'll probably stop shopping online and solely support my B&M.
[Reply]
ECPrevatte 09:26 PM 03-31-2009
This is actually a big April Fool's joke. Government is winning too. :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 09:30 PM 03-31-2009
I think if you boycott all you will do is hurt the people trying to run their business especially the small mom & pop B&M's.
:-) I will still buy... just not as much or as often.

But it does make me angry. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:33 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by bookman:
The more I think about it the more I think I'll probably stop shopping online and solely support my B&M.
+1 for the local B&M's:-)
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 09:46 PM 03-31-2009
The problem with that is everyone down the line uses this as a way to add their cut.

My wife smokes cigarettes. Here they have already went up over a buck a pack since the bill passed and the tax has not even been added yet. So the announced $1 a pack will actually be $2 a pack once everyone gets their cut. Cigars may not be that bad but we will just have to wait and see.

Chas
I agree. I'm not saying I like the tax but I'm not going to stop buying cigars because of it. I hated paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas but I did. Luckily I found the dark side and will probably concentrate my online buying to that. Ironically I'll be going to my B&M much more now in spite of SCHIP because of all the smoking bans here in WI. I'll be there tomorrow and we'll see if they raised prices o/n.
[Reply]
troutbreath 09:47 PM 03-31-2009
Stocked up quite a bit over the last several months. I hope that my contributions to the B&M's (exclusively purchased from my favorite stores) will carry them for a while. I probably have enough to last to the next election.

I am sure, however that I will buy more when the next shipment of Opus X arrive, or in the summer when the Anejo's arrive. I'm weak.
[Reply]
stitch 10:53 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
Correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am). The cap is 40 cents per cigar. So If you buy a box of 20 cigars. The price will increase 8 bucks. A 100 dollar box will be 108 and a 500 dollar box will be 508. Meh. I'll still buy cigars. It sucks but I'll still buy.
:-) I just wish I had your cigar budget!
[Reply]
The Saint 11:16 PM 03-31-2009
Its not a real big deal on the cigars that sell for say 60, 80, 100+. But the days of cheap yardgars may be a thing of the past. I know I won't spend $30 on say a bundle of mixed filler cigars(that was around 20 bucks before the BS-chip), I'd rather spend $20 bucks more on something else. But, more than likely I'll just buy less quanity and more quality and try to curb my 5-6 a day down to 2-3.......there is always going the CC route.:-) Besides, with the new taxes CC's are in most cases going to be cheaper the NC's.
[Reply]
alley00p 11:22 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe:
:-) I will still buy... just not as much or as often.

But it does make me angry. :-)

:-) +1

I buy the majority of my sticks at local B&M's anyway... any online ordering will go towards the "dark side"

:-)
[Reply]
GWags 11:23 PM 03-31-2009
Ciggy smokers are getting slammed in the arse!! All this tax has done for me is to expand my horizons to non taxed cigars. I'll still buy cigars from my B&M but I'm now sharing that budget with tax free purchases. I think it's safe to assume the tobacco tax will only go one way from here - this is just begining. Kinda like arse wipe - we'll keep buying it......for now.
[Reply]
GWags 11:30 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Integrity is a mf'er - once you lose it, it's gone. Your boss has his, no question!:-)
[Reply]
JJG 03:27 AM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
Yes I'm going strictly CC now.:-):-)
this is my plan too. although I will probably make a point now to stop in to the friendly neighborhood B&M for singles, just to show my support for the little guy. They're the ones really feeling the pain from all this.
[Reply]
adampc22 05:16 AM 04-01-2009
i hate taxes the tax on cigars we have a 360% tobacco tax. u guys in america can get cc's about 3 times cheaper than i can legaly here lol funny that aint it
[Reply]
macpappy 05:41 AM 04-01-2009
When I last talked to the owner of my local B&M (about a month ago) he was in the process of ordering as many boxes of cigars as he could afford and had storage space for. Since there is no floor tax, he is not raising his prices until he goes through his stock so we shouldn't see a price increase for a couple of months and then the price will only goes up as necessary to cover his increase cost.

He's a good man.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up