Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Aging by default
shadow king 12:37 AM 05-03-2009
Boss, I finally got the urge to smoke that VSG I had from 03. It was okay but not outstanding like the Padron was. To be honest, I was expecting a bit more out of it because of the VSG mystique. If you are still debating whether or not to long term your VSG's, I recommend going thru them.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 12:53 AM 05-03-2009
Still have a few PAMs from mid '90s, that would be '64 since '26 came out later, last one I smoked was about a year ago, a tremendous cigar. They age really well and develop more complexity. Strength wise, same as before (so far everyone who claims cigars "loose" nicotine as they age was not able to explain why and how, I had this conversation in my local B&M just a week ago).

Never bought VSGs so have no idea.
[Reply]
gnukfu 05:01 AM 05-03-2009
Smoked a couple of Padron 64 Naturals that had 2 years storage on them. They were from the 4 pack sampler box. Both were absolutely great.

I also bought a big sampler of various aged smokes from JBI when we were over on CS. Some were very tasty and some had very little flavor. The tasty smokes were very good!
[Reply]
SmokinApe 07:45 AM 05-03-2009
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg:
This is true. The reason I was thinking of doing this is because I know at some point the Padrons (which are already aged four years) will go downhill at some point in time. The reason for the suggestion of the vacuum sealed box was to slow the extended aging process down. For ex. instead of five years in the humi (meaning a total of nine years) being the peak, the sealed box could then be saved and smoked at ten years in the humi (meaning a total of 14 years) at its peak. Hope that makes since :-)
Not trying to be rude, but what i the point of slowing the aging process? Why not just smoke the at 9 years? Or slow the process then... I just don't see what advantage is gained....
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 10:08 AM 05-03-2009
Originally Posted by shadow king:
Boss, I finally got the urge to smoke that VSG I had from 03. It was okay but not outstanding like the Padron was. To be honest, I was expecting a bit more out of it because of the VSG mystique. If you are still debating whether or not to long term your VSG's, I recommend going thru them.
Hey thanks for the heads up Shadow. I'll definitely be firing more of them up :-)

Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Still have a few PAMs from mid '90s, that would be '64 since '26 came out later, last one I smoked was about a year ago, a tremendous cigar. They age really well and develop more complexity. Strength wise, same as before (so far everyone who claims cigars "loose" nicotine as they age was not able to explain why and how, I had this conversation in my local B&M just a week ago).

Never bought VSGs so have no idea.
Hey thanks for your input. These (Padron) cigars are just great cigars to begin with. I'm expecting the best from them :-)

Originally Posted by gnukfu:
Smoked a couple of Padron 64 Naturals that had 2 years storage on them. They were from the 4 pack sampler box. Both were absolutely great.
Can't wait till I'm there... thanks for the input :-)

Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Not trying to be rude, but what i the point of slowing the aging process? Why not just smoke the at 9 years? Or slow the process then... I just don't see what advantage is gained....
SmokinApe, don't worry your not being rude. The reason for the "experiment" was because I have enough stock of them that I don't think I could possibly smoke them all that early :-)
[Reply]
cort 11:15 AM 05-03-2009
Hey Curt I can come by and help you burn through that inventory you got.:-)
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 03:26 PM 05-03-2009
Originally Posted by gwc4sc:
Hey Curt I can come by and help you burn through that inventory you got.:-)

:-) Gary you are welcome to stop by anytime :-)
[Reply]
Garbandz 08:59 PM 05-03-2009
Do it like I do my wine,try one every year to determine how they are doing.If you notice any decline after a few years,smoke them up.
I have my last La Gloria churchill from 1995 to smoke this year in August.I got them from Ernesto as a gift and I have the control sticker that came in the box showing they were made in August of 1995,so I have smoked one each August since then,this year I will finish the box. I tried one on 6 month intervals for a while,then decided to make it an anniversary thing.They are still excellent,I think they are past peak,but still I enjoy the occasion.I also have a Flor de Allones from 1994 I was gifted,I will smoke it soon and do a review.
[Reply]
Kwilkinson 09:27 PM 05-03-2009
Boss Hogg, I have no experience with aged smokes, NC or CC. I have a lot of experience with vacuum sealing foods and the process that entails. I don't know what the vacuum environment would do to the aging process, but I would be very worried about putting expensive cigars under that kind of pressure. Assuming you have a food sealer, you know the kind of pressure/stress that the vacuum-sealing process can do. I'd be worried about it crushing the cigars. Just my :-) .
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 12:16 AM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by Garbandz:
Do it like I do my wine,try one every year to determine how they are doing.If you notice any decline after a few years,smoke them up.
Thanks for your input. This is exactly why I'm sealing them... to slow that "decline" process down. For the most part I do what you do. On some of my cigars, I like to smoke them every three months. There are others that I smoke only once or twice a year due to short stock.

Originally Posted by Kwilkinson:
Boss Hogg, I have no experience with aged smokes, NC or CC. I have a lot of experience with vacuum sealing foods and the process that entails. I don't know what the vacuum environment would do to the aging process, but I would be very worried about putting expensive cigars under that kind of pressure. Assuming you have a food sealer, you know the kind of pressure/stress that the vacuum-sealing process can do. I'd be worried about it crushing the cigars. Just my :-) .
Well, I have been reading a lot about this on other forums and they have explained it pretty extensively. It seems to make since. I have a good sealer and from what I have experienced.. it doesn't crush the cigar box while sealing it. I would never seal loose cigar as this would completely crush them. Idk.. I'm hoping for the best :-). I appreciate your concern though... I can't even begin to think of the torture it would be if I ruin them after all. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up