Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Will the beetles not hatch?
All cigars will have beetles 12 24.49%
Only the frozen cigars will have beetles, but not the microwaved cigar 1 2.04%
Only the microwaved cigars will have beetles, but not the frozen cigars 9 18.37%
None of the cigars will have beetles 27 55.10%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Freezing Cigars – Does it Work?
Thrak 11:45 AM 03-04-2009
Why doy ou have an exit sign in your freezer?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 12:07 PM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
It shows the way out.
[Reply]
Raralith 12:09 PM 03-04-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
The freezer is pretty big so there are a few emergency exits.
[Reply]
Raralith 12:02 AM 03-05-2009
Sorry for the delay, I just got home not too long ago. The microwaved cigar will be done when I get home tomorrow with the 24 hours frozen cigar.
[Reply]
Hardcz 07:44 AM 03-05-2009
sweet.... hopefully you find something, though I'm thinking you may need to find some infested cigars...or manually inject them...
[Reply]
promethius 06:47 PM 03-05-2009
pardon my ignorance but is there a proper way to freeze your cigars that have been delayed in shipping? just to make sure before they enter the humi? Or is this over cautious? thanks!
[Reply]
Raralith 04:58 PM 03-06-2009
Sorry for the delay but my Internet is down and I can't upload pictures from my phone. Full update when it's up.
[Reply]
O-Danger 04:54 PM 03-09-2009
I would have loved to see you use a regular freezer as we don't all have access to industrial strength
[Reply]
Raralith 11:40 PM 03-09-2009
It turns out my modem was the problem and not my internet. I've already started taking pictures so I'll do a full recap when I wake up tomorrow.
[Reply]
SixPackSunday 11:52 PM 03-09-2009
Originally Posted by Raralith:
That is what the control cigar is for. Yes, there is a possibility of there having absolutely no eggs whatsoever on any of the tabacoo leaves, but that seems highly unlikely as this is where tabacoo beetles live and thrive. If no beetles come out whatsoever, than I'll go out of my way to purchase infested cigars too and do the whole thing again.

how much would you like to pay for beetles cigars? :-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 09:33 AM 03-10-2009
cant wait to see what happens
[Reply]
Raralith 08:08 PM 03-10-2009
Sorry for the delay ya'll. I've got the pictures up and ready, and I didn't start the experiment until my modem came in yesterday. The cigars have been waiting in the VinoTemp for some future happy times.

Now, continuing:
Microwaving #4 Nuke Me

Taking this out, it was quite hot and soft. It smelled and felt almost like the nub of a smoked cigar - very musty, very soft. No damage that I could see.

Here are the cigars wrapped in sandwich bags and awaiting tuperware, my car, and the hot Southern Californian sun.

And the car of course:
[Reply]
Raralith 04:21 PM 03-11-2009

Day 1
I couldn't find my tupperware so I'll drop Target and buy 4 boxes. Cigars have no beetles though, but at 100+ degrees, we'll see how long until something happens.
[Reply]
Raralith 05:51 PM 03-12-2009
Day 2
I picked up some tupperware and threw the cigars in. After a day in the car, here's a look at the cigars in their individual containers.

And how hot was it when I checked?
Not quite triple digits but close enough.

Here is a shot of all the cigars individually. No bugs so far, but I'll be reporting for the first week than weekly after. Sorry on the last picture, it was pretty bad and I didn't notice until just now.

24 hour freeze

48 hour freeze

Control
[Reply]
Raralith 05:52 PM 03-12-2009
Nuke Me
Bad picture of that and no, it is not warped!
[Reply]
acarr 12:57 AM 03-13-2009
I am just curious. Couldn't the heat inside the car and the bags with little oxygen kill any beetles that might be present?
[Reply]
Raralith 12:18 PM 03-13-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
I am just curious. Couldn't the heat inside the car and the bags with little oxygen kill any beetles that might be present?
I'll look for the report again, but I remember reading that 160 degrees for 2 hours is enough to kill beetles; 100 degrees is definately not enough. As for oxygen, I've seen beetles hatch in alumiun tubes which also can have a good seal. The bags though do have air ciruclation though so that's not a worry.
[Reply]
dabigdog 12:40 PM 03-13-2009
Looking forward to how this turns out
[Reply]
goalie204 06:14 AM 03-14-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
Scientific studies have proven that chill and freezing temperatures (depends on time x temp) kill all forms of the beetles (egg, pupa, beetle).

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...tte_beetle.htm

Items can be placed in the refrigerator or freezer (16 days at 36°F, 7 days at 25°F or 32°F for four to seven days) to kill all stages. Place items in a plastic bag to reduce condensation problems during thawing. Heating small quantities of infested material in an oven (190°F for one hour, 120°F for 16 to 24 hours) also is effective.

Why reinvent the wheel?

how cold is a typical home freezer? Like if there is just holes how long would i freeze?
[Reply]
Raralith 12:16 PM 03-14-2009
Fighting with my phone because the pictures aren't working right. Here's a temp shot of day three, no bugs in any of them.

It's beginning to cool down here for 90 degress should do.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up