Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Aficionado is absolutely crazy
Scottw 08:45 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Some cigars seem to put lead in my pencil!!!:-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 11:08 AM 02-23-2009
nothing like pencil lead...:-)
[Reply]
jquirit 11:12 AM 02-23-2009
Early 80s pencil lead is far superior to the pencil lead from the 90s.
[Reply]
RottenZombie 11:28 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by jquirit:
Early 80s pencil lead is far superior to the pencil lead from the 90s.
I have to disagree with you on that one.Depending on the country of origin and the specific region it was made, some of the 90's pencil lead is top notch.:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 11:30 AM 02-23-2009
Isn't the Monte #2 in fact named after the #2 pencil?
[Reply]
Cigargal 11:39 AM 02-23-2009
If you smell a pencil sharpener I think the predominate smell is the wood shavings-probably cedar. Many people lick then end of a pencil when writing to darken the print...I think every kid in the world has put the lead end of a pencil in their mouth. It isn't a bad taste when connected to cigars-just an attempt to put a name on a taste.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:13 PM 02-23-2009
FWIW, pencil "lead" is a mixture of graphite and clay. Pencil shavings do have a slightly metallic smell to them.
[Reply]
Only Fuentes 06:19 PM 02-23-2009
WTF are they smoking????!!!! oh right, pencil lead:-) seriously though I prefer # 1 lead taste in the morning for a lighter smoke. I usually go for a #5 or #6 taste after a big dinner. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:39 PM 02-23-2009
During the cigar boom, there were a lot of pencil lead cigars out there. :-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 07:05 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Isn't the Monte #2 in fact named after the #2 pencil?
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
TheRiddick 08:39 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
FWIW, pencil "lead" is a mixture of graphite and clay. Pencil shavings do have a slightly metallic smell to them.
Graphite it is. And as already stated just above, many of us used to lick the pencil when we wrote (wow, I am how old?). This taste note applies and is used in many a Pomerol wine (right coast of Bordeaux) and is actually imparted by specific barrels used to age wine. Actually helps to id some wines blind although lately some Napa guys are using same barrels to same effect.

I have yet to come across a cigar that said "pencil lead/graphite" to me, but then I've seen page after page of reviews in Wine Spectator where a reviewer used one particular tasting note (say, blueberry stems or whatever) across a couple dozen wines being reviewed. I guess they just get fixated by some tasting flavor on some days and this spills out into reviews somehow.

Don't forget that some CA reviewers also review wine and if, by chance, they smoked tha cigar while also drinking a particular wine, then I could easily see them "taste" pencil lead, no big surprise there.
[Reply]
MithShrike 08:56 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
I hate to admit it, but pencil lead or pencil shavings are in my cigar vocabulary. I associate it with an unpleasant flat mineral flavor. Hard to explain but when you taste it, you know.

But, you should've known you'd find some crazies at the Asylum.:-) At least were proud of it!:-)
Yep, I've tasted pencil lead and I have never enjoyed a cigar that has that flavor. The Nub Habano was definitely one of those cigars and I also thought it was bitter. No bueno, no gracias.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 09:08 PM 02-23-2009
I think the Zino Platinum Scepter series definitely has a pencilish taste on the exhale. I like those though, so I guess I can't even say it's a bad flavor to have. If it was anything more than subtle, though, I see how it could ruin the smoke.
[Reply]
Kreth 09:24 PM 02-23-2009
So do Cuban pencils have that particular twang to them?
[Reply]
groogs 09:50 PM 02-23-2009
Thanks for sharing.:-):-)
[Reply]
Nick 12:06 AM 02-24-2009
I've always been a little put off by the descriptions some people have about tobacco. I just taste good old tobacco; maybe creamy, peppery, or spicy. Certainly not buttery, fruity, or reminiscent of pencil led.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:02 PM 08-13-2009
I have had many of these cigars, actually one of my favorites, love the nub brand, but don't remember them having any pencil hits or flavors to them.
[Reply]
gbum 08:45 PM 08-13-2009
i love #8

you guys are hilariouss

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:56 PM 08-13-2009
Originally Posted by Only Fuentes:
WTF are they smoking????!!!! oh right, pencil lead:-) seriously though I prefer # 1 lead taste in the morning for a lighter smoke. I usually go for a #5 or #6 taste after a big dinner. :-)
You sir are clearly not a connesuir of pencil lead. A #1 is typically heavy and full strength. A #5 or #6 is lighter and more refined. Darn noobs! :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:54 AM 08-14-2009
:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up