Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>B&M etiquette question
Tenor CS 05:03 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Do you give the owner or his wife cigars out of fivers you bought there? I'm wondering what they'd think about that. I'm sure they don't mind, but I'm trying to place myself in their shoes. I wonder what they'd think of you gifting cigars they don't carry as well. Would they be offended? I know I wouldn't. I have gifted a CC or two to one of my locals. That went over very well and he could tell they had a few years on them.
Every stick I've gifted them are sticks they don't carry. He had the 5 Vegas classic (red band), but he'd never smoked a Series A or Gold, so I gifted him one of each. His wife said she loved Gurkhas, and they have some of the higher end ones (Beast, Beauty, Shaggy, Titan, Warlord), so I gifted her some that I had in my humi that I got from a Thompson sampler. Some of the Gurkhas I gave her are Thompson-only blends. They have only been gracious, never offended.

Obviously, cigars are a large part of the conversation when I'm there. I've had several conversations that go like this:

Me: Hey Brian (the owner) have you ever heard of Taboo cigars out of Texas?
Brian: No
Me: Well, a lot of the guys on Cigar Asylum like them. I'll bring you in some, see if you like them. If you want to carry them, I can give you contact info of the guys to talk to.
Brian: Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

That grew out of another conversation where we were talking about CAO Americas and "barber pole/multiple wrapper" cigars. So I brought in a Sol Cubano Artisan, Taboo Twist, and ITC Split Decision Quad Toro.

The one thing I don't openly discuss is pricing or my Internet purchases. And I understand that the owner is there to run his shop first, and converse with me second. A few weeks ago, it was just me and Brian in the shop and his Vector rep came in. I was in the middle of a game of Wii bowling. I realized "Brian needs to take care of business now," so I quietly turned off the Wii and made myself scarce.

While I don't mention places like CI or Cbid by name, I will mention that I got these smokes "online" if he asks. I do mention Cigar Asylum by name A LOT though. In fact, the first time David (Catfish) came in, I heard the owner ask him how he found the place, and David told him that some guy from Cigar Asylum had mentioned the place.

Plus, I let him play with my accessories. I've shown him my Xikar and Palio cutters and Blazer lighter, in case he wants to think of carrying them. He does carry the 5-ct Cigar Caddy, and I've shown him my 10 and 18 count models. He does carry Vector lighters, and I totally want one that he has that can do soft flame and torch.
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:35 AM 02-21-2009
I'm sure they wish all customers were as considerate as you :-)
[Reply]
troutbreath 07:53 AM 02-21-2009
Good rules.

I have one favorite shop that I visit on the road. It's one of 2-3 B&M's that I shop at. I will visit them each night that I am in town. I have joined their "Connoisseur Club." I don't buy something every time I visit, but I usually stock up on my way out of town, so I don't think they mind. I am conscious of what I smoke when I visit, though, and make sure it is a stick that I purchased from their humidor.

Sometimes I feel weird about not buying the stick I smoke each time. But, if I drop a couple hundred dollars before I leave town, I think they understand.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 08:03 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by troutbreath:
Sometimes I feel weird about not buying the stick I smoke each time. But, if I drop a couple hundred dollars before I leave town, I think they understand.
Kind of like my situation. Any good B&M owner will quickly realize who and who is not a mooch. They would be a fool to alienate a good customer. The owner knows by now that when I come in, I will spend money, usually in the $15-30 range, and I say good things about his store, and I bring him customers.

One thing that bugs me is cigarette smokers who come in asking for free matches. #1, he doesn't even give matches away with purchases, he just doesn't have the custom-made matches in the shop. #2, don't mooch matches if you have no intention of purchasing anything. But he will use one of the shop lighters to give the guy a light, so he's not heartless.

Plus, I consider myself a completely different animal from the cigarette smoker and don't really enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke.
[Reply]
DocLogic77 08:09 AM 02-21-2009
If every customer went by these rules...we would probably have a good local shop near me in Ky. But, we don't and it's because they can't make money down here. It's a shame because I would love to have a place outside the home to smoke with fellow BOTL. I rarely smoke NCs but would buy em up if it meant I had a place to smoke and hang.
[Reply]
dschmidt20 08:19 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I work at a B&M. I've been there over a year and I'd say you're doing all the right things. In my opinion, any shop would be happy to have you there. We have some real pains in the ass customers who leave HUGE messes, don't buy ****, and hog the T.V. We would welcome you any day, keep doing what you do. :-)

P.S. 3 or 4 times I've found chicken wings in the stinky. :-)
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Great rules of the heart brother!! :-)

I work in a cigar bar. We sell cigars, cigar accessories and beer and wine - no liquor. I receive tips as a bartender would.

We don't mind people bringing in their own smokes, but as an unwritten rule we hope they buy beverages from us, however we won't kick 'em out if they don't.

Basically I think if you support your local B&M with purchases they will take care of you. I know when I used to frequent another B&M on a weekly basis (before I got my part time job at the current cigar bar) the owner would toss me a stick, give me a discount, or other accessories such as hats or shirts.

I think gifting the owner of the establishment is not really necessary. Maybe give him a bottle of Port at Christmas time or something.

That's my 2 cents. :-)
I totally echo these sentiments. Working at the Davidoff shop at Columbus Circle NYC we have our fair share of customers who show and respect good service with equally respectful patronage. However, there are a fair share of entitled and disrespectful guests who try to get by without buying anything. You're doing all the right things as a BOTL. Just saying thank you on the way out goes a long way. Any business owner or worker at a B&M who has a good head on their shoulders will recognize and appreciate your support.

This past week I was on vacation, but felt like stopping by a B&M for a smoke (other than the lounge at our shop). I visited the Cigar Aficionado lounge at the Cigar Inn (E 53rd and 2nd Ave) in NYC. Being in the industry and knowing the guys there I could easily just bring in my own smokes and not buy a thing, but I wanted to support them for providing really great hospitality so I bought two smokes (one that is exclusive to their shop: the La Aurora Cien Anos Preferido #1). It was a great visit and it felt good to not mooch. Everyone loves a free cigar, but I think most people don't understand how much work behind the scenes is required to create a successful B&M.

Dustin
[Reply]
croatan 08:26 AM 02-21-2009
If a b&m sells liquor, then I buy drinks and don't worry so much about buying their cigars. If they don't, and I'm going to smoke there, I'll buy a couple of cigars. If I know the owner or the guy working, I'll often give him a cigar or two, as well.

In this hobby, etiquette is usually little more than common sense: don't be an ingrateful, cheap-ass, mooching, expecting-something-for-nothing douchebag and you'll usually be ok. :-)
[Reply]
Footbag 08:35 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by dschmidt20:
I totally echo these sentiments. Working at the Davidoff shop at Columbus Circle NYC we have our fair share of customers who show and respect good service with equally respectful patronage. However, there are a fair share of entitled and disrespectful guests who try to get by without buying anything. You're doing all the right things as a BOTL. Just saying thank you on the way out goes a long way. Any business owner or worker at a B&M who has a good head on their shoulders will recognize and appreciate your support.

This past week I was on vacation, but felt like stopping by a B&M for a smoke (other than the lounge at our shop). I visited the Cigar Aficionado lounge at the Cigar Inn (E 53rd and 2nd Ave) in NYC. Being in the industry and knowing the guys there I could easily just bring in my own smokes and not buy a thing, but I wanted to support them for providing really great hospitality so I bought two smokes (one that is exclusive to their shop: the La Aurora Cien Anos Preferido #1). It was a great visit and it felt good to not mooch. Everyone loves a free cigar, but I think most people don't understand how much work behind the scenes is required to create a successful B&M.

Dustin
I'm visiting NYC as I type. And I happen to be staying in the building that Cigar Inn just opened up in. Yesterday, I bought a box of Noellas, and returned later in the day. I bought a Zino Platinum and relaxed in their lounge. I considered bringing back a Noellas, or even bringing one of my own, but even if I did, I'd likely buy at least one smoke. I chose not to and smoked my Zino. No regrets, their lounge is worth it!
I'll be back there later! And I'll do my part to make sure their business is successful!

The same it true when I visit Davidoff Columbus Circle of course!
[Reply]
mash 09:10 AM 02-21-2009
You sound like just the kind of guy a business owner would want to have as a customer.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 10:28 AM 02-21-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
I have become somewhat of a regular customer at a local B&M. Another member here, David (Screen Name Catfish) has also visited there a few times and we have hit it off. It's always nice to have a smoking buddy.

I wanted to throw out some stories of my "routine" at the B&M and see if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or advice on things I could do better or more of.
  1. I never show up just to "hang out." When I visit, it's to smoke and buy.
  2. I usually show up with my 10 count travel humi. I tend to bring the travel humi with, say, 8 sticks in it. I will come in, sit, smoke, drink, watch TV, maybe play some Wii, and then on my way out, I will buy anywhere between 1-3 cigars to "top off" the travel humi for next time. Sometimes, I will not necessarily buy sticks, but some accessory - a can of butane, a drymistat tube (I have about 5 of them now, spread among various travel humi's and tupperdors) a pack of "smoker's mints," something like that.
  3. So far, I have only smoked sticks purchased there. But even if I smoked an "outside" stick, I would still buy SOMETHING on the way out.
  4. Here's where it gets a little tricky. They don't have a liquor license, but the owner gladly provides drinks, especially for the regulars. He has a tip jar next to the register, and it's kind of hidden. I generally don't drink liquor, but when I grab a soda or bottled water from the mini-fridge, I'll drop $1-2 into the tip jar. Not really "paying" for the drink, but this makes me feel like I'm not mooching. On the rare occasion that I do have some liquor, like a glass of scotch, I'll put $5 in the tip jar. I also offer to clean up after myself, but the owner always tells me not to worry about it.
  5. I have gifted the owner (and his wife) some sticks, and he has smoked some of them in front of me. To be honest, I don''t think he really loved them, but he never said anything bad about them, and he was gracious in accepting them and at least tried them, which is all anyone can really ask of someone.
  6. I don't have some of the super impressive collections of sticks that some guys here have, but I try to be generous. For every 5-pack I buy, I usually keep 3 for myself and give 2 away. Sometimes, I give a smoke to the owner or his wife, sometimes another BOTL from here.
  7. I try to spread as much positive word-of-mouth about the place as I can. I know that I have brought at least 3 more regular customers to the shop, and for that the owner seems genuinely grateful. Occasionally, he will chop 5-10% off of my bill, or toss in an extra stick. I never ask for extra discounts, but I do sometimes splurge buy when he has a good sale, like 20% off everything in the store, or buy 3 sticks, get 1 free.
I'm especially interested to hear from people who own/work in B&M's. Besides spending money, what else can a regular customer do to help you out, business-wise?
you sound like a great customer. can't imagine any proprietor would have an issue with you...
[Reply]
troutbreath 06:31 PM 02-24-2009
Carried in my own cigars this week to my favorite B&M. To make up, as noted in post above, I walked out with 2 boxes (1 Tatuaje Unicos, 1 La Riqueza #2). I think they were OK with my choices.
[Reply]
eboniknight 09:02 AM 02-25-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
Celebration, FL. Near Disney World. It's called Backroom Cigar Corp. I've posted about them a lot, because I've been spending a lot of time there.
Wow that's great to know. I'll be spending a week near Celebration in August for family vacation.....looks like I have found me a refuge when the stress level gets too high!! :-)

I pretty much follow those same "rules" when I visit the local B&M here in VA. Always good people there and the owner treats you well.
[Reply]
shilala 09:13 AM 02-25-2009
I think you're doing everything right, Christian.
This culture/hobby/addiction is about being courteous and giving freely of ourselves.
The cool thing is that our actions as botl's set an infectious example that just so happens to make this world a better place to live.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:42 AM 02-25-2009
Just by showing up at the B&M is helping him; regardless of the smokes you brought or bought. A busy looking shop promotes more business, and having people/customers in the door is essential for their business.

That being said, it is unrealistic for him (B&M) to think that you should be 100% dedicated to buying cigars exclusive to him.

Buy what you can from him and don't sweat the rest.
[Reply]
karmaz00 11:08 AM 02-25-2009
thanks for sharing guys
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 08:49 PM 02-25-2009
Looks like an excellent list for anybody who frequents a B&M. If I owned one, you're the kind of customer I would be happy to have in my establishment. :-)
[Reply]
FretSpot 10:47 AM 02-26-2009
Tenor CS, you are very generous and considerate. I generally only gift cigars to my B&M guys when they are unique (CC, or something different). I don't gift them things out of their Humi, because they work there and have access to them.

I run a full line music store, and if a customer gave me a set of guitar strings that I don't carry because he liked them and wanted me to check them out, I'd be honored. If he gave me a set of strings he bought in my shop, I'd be honored of course, but I'd think it a little odd...
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:58 PM 03-03-2009
I definitely always try to buy something when I'm at a B&M. I think if you are staying to smoke, with your own cigars, then you should at least buy something. It is all about helping out your neighbor. I frequent the same B&M at least 2x's a week, and I pretty much always buy something or at least bring in something for the guys there to try. I've gotten to know all of them and they are a great crew.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 04:28 PM 03-03-2009
I sure which I had a good B&M to go to.
[Reply]
Cigary 06:11 PM 03-03-2009
You are one of those good customers who plainly think of the business owner but at the same time you go there to relax and hang out,,,and the owner or manager should know you by your first name at least. With that being said, you should have a relationship that gets you some inside goodies,,,it's a very reciprocal type of relationship between a good customer and the management. If you aren't being treated as a "special" customer at this point there is something wrong and that means at the very least 10% off. The only thing that matters is that you feel good and the owner feels good.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up