Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Why I Freeze All Purchases
DPD6030 08:34 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. A single beetle hole in a cigar will not render the stick unsmokeable.

But make no mistake about it, seeing that hole underscores my unwavering belief in the need for me to freeze my stock upon arrival. The beetle that burrowed through that Festie is likely long dead. Maybe the unhatched eggs are too. But I am not taking chances.
:-) those dead beetles and eggs! Freeze them to and any live ones that are waiting for the right humidity and temperature to hatch.
[Reply]
gbum 09:04 PM 09-26-2011
ouch!
[Reply]
webjunkie 09:16 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
But I am not taking chances.
Probably the best course of action. Still, not cool.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:35 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
:-) those dead beetles and eggs! Freeze them to and any live ones that are waiting for the right humidity and temperature to hatch.
what he said
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:11 PM 09-26-2011
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:16 PM 09-26-2011
Glad it was just one cigar, Vin...congrats on a wonderful score though! :-)
[Reply]
Weelok 11:04 PM 09-26-2011
Whoa now, hear me out before you kill those beetles. Right now you can legally say you weren't importing Cuban cigars, which is illegal, but actually importing Cuban tobacco beetles. The cigars are provided to feed and breed the beetles during transport!!

If you freeze and kill those imported beetles you may be forced to burn those cigars.

Think before you commit to freezing those beetle farms.
[Reply]
TBone 02:28 AM 09-27-2011
One word...damn...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:09 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by gator_79:
Sorry to see that. I too freeze everything that comes in. Before they enter my humi or cooler they spend 3-4 days in the freezer. My wife being as great as she is takes care of the freezing of sticks which are delivered while I am deployed.
Good wife:-)

The same thing happened to me with some cheap sticks from CI, I froze them for a few days and then opened up the one with a whole and found that little devil and made sure he was dead. It was a scary event however, I doubt the OP will want to waste one of those cigars to hunt down the beetle. good luck brother, glad you cought it early.
[Reply]
Tbagley 07:04 AM 09-27-2011
Just for spite you should burn that sucker to death, with no stay for execution!
[Reply]
MiamiE 07:07 AM 09-27-2011
Those cigars are way to valuable to take any chances. Freeze them!
[Reply]
dvickery 10:11 AM 09-27-2011
Why I Freeze All Purchases

in '00 or '01 i had the same experience...only i got to see some of the little horrors alive.
a few bolivar coronas gigantes that became robustos and 3 fonseca cosacos that were a write off and a single monty#4 write off...a pretty cheap lesson i think(in retrospect). froze everything then and still do.

before '03/'04 this wasnt a suprise but the norm to have beetle damage in a few cigars when getting home from cuba...live ones not so common...since about '03 it has become fairly rare...dont know why but kudos to habanos for doing something about it(seems they are always getting $hit on for doing nothing about QC).

vin...really realllly realllllly nice score...full box???

derrek :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:16 AM 09-27-2011
You can play that one like a whistle and do a festivous dance while you smoke it, Vin. It'll be fun.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:17 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
You can play that one like a whistle and do a festivous dance while you smoke it, Vin. It'll be fun.
:-):-):-)

It's a fife!
[Reply]
rizzle 09:55 AM 09-29-2011
Big Balla :-)
[Reply]
ktblunden 10:07 AM 09-29-2011
Yikes. It's things like this that finally convinced me to go the freezer route with everything that comes in. Took me about 3 weeks to rotate my entire stash through the freezer, but now it's simple, everything that comes in the door goes in the freezer before it makes it into GenPop. Luckily I didn't have an outbreak before I froze everything.
[Reply]
massphatness 10:35 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by dvickery:

vin...really realllly realllllly nice score...full box???

derrek :-)
Yeah - I fell in love with those things a couple years back, much to the chagrin of my bank account.
[Reply]
NeuRon 10:42 AM 09-29-2011
Festies?

More like IN-FESTIES!

sux to see man.. lil bastards
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up