Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Any Duck Dynasty Debate Thoughts?
Ashcan Bill 05:16 PM 12-23-2013
In the final analysis, it's going to come down to money.

It won't matter who's right, who's wrong, who believes what or who said what.

After realizing a large percentage of the population don't give a fig what was said, A&E will welcome the duck guy back. The duck people will ignore the fact their A&E partners, rather than having their back, tried to toss them under the bus. They will have one big group hug, and get on with their joint pursuit of $$$$.

Wish I was wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what's is coming down the pike.
Blueface 05:59 PM 12-23-2013
Frankly, love the show.
Very entertaining.
In the end, why can't it be that if you don't like it, you don't agree with them, you don't like A&E, then just don't watch it.
Quite simple really.
Steve 06:22 PM 12-23-2013
I like corn dogs...

Catfish 06:52 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
AS AN EXAMPLE: I have a friend (couple) who are vegetarians. When they come to our place, they demand that we must prepare a special dish just for them. When we go to their house, they do not return the favor - there is no meat dish, anywhere. When I asked him to make a special dish for us when we come over, they refused, "We will not even cook meat in our home." When they came over the next time I had a help yourself meal. You grab a plate and could choose any or all of the following: cheesy potatoes, greens salad, beer cheese soup, broccoli w/cheese sauce, cheese & crackers, nuts, and finally some NY Strip steaks. They complained we didn't make them anything vegetarian. What?
If I were faced with a similar situation, I do believe I'd tell that couple to take a flying F at a rolling donut.
shilala 06:56 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
The duck people will ignore the fact their A&E partners, rather than having their back, tried to toss them under the bus. They will have one big group hug, and get on with their joint pursuit of $$$$.
I'm mostly with you, Bill. But I think Phil and his family really don't have much desire and/or need for A&E, aside from having some fun, and the notoriety of it all.
Phil blew off a professional football career to pursue his duck hunting/call making dream, and I don't think he'd miss A&E for a minute. I don't think he's all that driven by the mighty dollar as we'd think.
That's just my thought on it.
TNT009 07:00 PM 12-23-2013
Didn't care for his Blacks and Civil Rights comment.. His right I guess and mine not to watch the show!
Steve 07:04 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm mostly with you, Bill. But I think Phil and his family really don't have much desire and/or need for A&E, aside from having some fun, and the notoriety of it all.
Phil blew off a professional football career to pursue his duck hunting/call making dream, and I don't think he'd miss A&E for a minute. I don't think he's all that driven by the mighty dollar as we'd think.
This
Veatorious 07:07 PM 12-23-2013
Word. :-)
The Poet 07:20 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by TNT009:
Didn't care for his Blacks and Civil Rights comment.. His right I guess and mine not to watch the show!
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody on here seemed to notice that part of the interview controversy, and only the same-sex stuff. When I read that he said he worked beside blacks in his younger days ('50s and '60s) and never once heard one of them say "Doggone the white folks" or whatever, I didn't know if I should laugh or scream in anger. Do I believe he never heard that from a black man in segregated Louisiana? Damn straight I believe it. And HAD he heard something like that, he wouldn't have heard it again, since the "offender" would have been beaten, shot, or lynched within hours . . . if not by Paul or his family, by the fellow "white trash" (his words, not mine) down the road.

Does one have a First Amendment right to say what one wants? Well, what if what he's saying is "Let's lynch that farkin' . . . . ", well, you know the word that comes next.
RWhisenand 07:20 PM 12-23-2013
Count me as one who sees this as a publicity stunt. Already merchandise and re-runs have spiked, when the guy who said those things comes back, there will be another spike. Sorry but I think the whole thing was scripted.
Ashcan Bill 08:25 PM 12-23-2013
I've never seen the show so I'm just going by what I've seen in the media the last few days. My knowledge of the duck guys is pretty limited. Not that that's ever stopped me from shooting my mouth off. :-)

I agree completely that Phil seems to be a guy who believes in what he believes and will not compromise those beliefs. That's just my read on him. If he were in this by himself, I have little doubt A&E would be holding an empty bag right now.

However, there are a lot of other family members involved. I don't know who has what, but I suspect some of them don't have his financial resources. They also have younger generations to think of. This is a long term business for the family, and these are not dumb people. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think in the end money will talk.

I'm still looking for the group hug down the road.
larryinlc 09:02 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
In the final analysis, it's going to come down to money.
I think this is exactly right. In order to make the most money, these corporations need to appeal to most of the people most of the time. Whether some were offended or others defensive, it doesn't make good business sense to take sides. Remember Hank Williams Jr or Jimmy the Greek? Yes, they spoke their minds but it cost them their jobs.

The problem today due to instant news traveling throughout the internet in warp speed, opinions are formed and sides are taken in a nanosecond. Corporate America has their collective undies tied in knots over instant reprisal, and this scares the hell out of them.

I totally believe in free speech, but sometimes it's better to keeps ones opinions private for the benefit of all. Everyone makes money then and everyone is happy.
The Poet 09:10 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by larryinlc:
I totally believe in free speech, but sometimes it's better to keeps ones opinions private for the benefit of all. Everyone makes money then and everyone is happy.
Yeah, what's the old line? It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Hey, I been there. You? :-)
MarkinAZ 10:31 PM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by G G:
Well said Todd. I tired to bump you but I couldn't.
I bumped him for you Greg:-)

BTW, I love the show and its definitely a kick:-) Now, where did I place those bullfrog legs anyways...:-)
the jiggler 10:36 PM 12-23-2013
Read an article this morning about the whole thing that had this quote from Rick Warren which I thought was pretty good:

Originally Posted by :
Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

dijit 04:36 AM 12-24-2013
Scott I think you are dead on with the thought that Phil isnt driven by the mighty dollar. They have dinner as the close to the show, at least the episodes I have seen. That dinner is at Phil's house. Which is not some lavish mansion. It looks to be relatively small and slightly reminiscent of a double wide mobile home.
The Poet 06:40 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by the jiggler:
Read an article this morning about the whole thing that had this quote from Rick Warren which I thought was pretty good:
And does it surprise you that a bible-thumper supports thumping bibles? :-)

There is a simple truth his statement skirts. Just because you say you do not hate someone does not mean you do not.
dijit 07:00 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by The Poet:
And does it surprise you that a bible-thumper supports thumping bibles? :-)

There is a simple truth his statement skirts. Just because you say you do not hate someone does not mean you do not.
That's like saying just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
kelmac07 07:01 AM 12-24-2013
:-)
G G 07:17 AM 12-24-2013
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody on here seemed to notice that part of the interview controversy, and only the same-sex stuff. When I read that he said he worked beside blacks in his younger days ('50s and '60s) and never once heard one of them say "Doggone the white folks" or whatever, I didn't know if I should laugh or scream in anger. Do I believe he never heard that from a black man in segregated Louisiana? Damn straight I believe it. And HAD he heard something like that, he wouldn't have heard it again, since the "offender" would have been beaten, shot, or lynched within hours . . . if not by Paul or his family, by the fellow "white trash" (his words, not mine) down the road.

Does one have a First Amendment right to say what one wants? Well, what if what he's saying is "Let's lynch that farkin' . . . . ", well, you know the word that comes next.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and comment. I have lived in the south the whole of my life. I'm not stupid enough to think that racism in the south didn't exist okay and don't still exist. But...... I read the comments and he said with his own eyes. I have traveled to the northeast quite a bit to visit family and I have heard the N word far more times there than I have in the south in my adult years. The stereo types are a bunch of rednecks that hate and lynch and all sorts of other things toward people that aren't white, but it simply isn't what I see with my own eyes as a southern man. everyone has a right to their opinion, but I see, and have seen much more racism in the north than I ever did in the south. I was actually shocked believe it or not, because whether we like it or not stereotypes affect us. I aint buying it. The man said the they were Godly and happy and I am gonna take him at his word that that's what he saw where he lived. We can make all the assumptions we want to, but at the end of the day we weren't there with him.
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up