Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>Boxing woes....
icehog3 09:57 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Yeah, that last Tyson/Holyfield fight was a real doosey. :-)
Old days, Tim...old days. Simmer down now. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:58 PM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Old days, Tim...old days. Simmer down now. :-)
Ohhhhhh, you mean when he was good..... mkay, I remember now.:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:59 PM 04-03-2010
The Pre-Rapist days.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:19 PM 04-03-2010
Ohhhhhh, you mean when he was good..... mkay, I remember now.:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_nfLatI5Qc Rap NSFW
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 10:29 PM 04-03-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_nfLatI5Qc Rap NSFW
Nice!
But it is disturbing that I don't remember all of those hits after the call and while dudes were on their way down.... clearly. It mostly happens in the later fights... dude is/was disturbed... and powerful.

Compact power too. I've never seen anyone hit so hard from so close.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:36 PM 04-03-2010
Nice!
But it is disturbing that I don't remember all of those hits after the call and while dudes were on their way down.... clearly. It mostly happens in the later fights... dude is/was disturbed... and powerful.

Compact power too. I've never seen anyone hit so hard from so close.
Yup...Mike was not just a boxer, he was an angry young man.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 10:42 PM 04-03-2010
True, but I have no real interest in watching a lot of the fights they show on Spike, Aaron. Lots of them are years old. I like the hype leading up to a big match, and watching it without already knowing the result.
That is true. Although I do like watching older BJ Penn fights. All I know, it is a lot easier to find MMA on television than boxing these days.

UFC 111 was the first one I have watch in real time since UFC #1 (which we got back in HS on PPV) - I do have to agree, watching it without already knowing the result is definitely more exciting and tense.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:26 AM 04-21-2010
The current Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on HBO profiles Arguello, Gatti and Vernon Forrest.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:24 AM 04-21-2010
It is very disappointing not having big name heavyweights to watch. I do love watching the lighter guys go at it but I want to see the heavyweight division get some elite talent. I would imagine MMA is taking some talent away from boxing but I don't really get the lure of MMA. I would rather see a slugfest between 2 guys in the ring rather than some MMA match.
[Reply]
mash 07:40 AM 04-21-2010
Boxing has been hurt by corrupt promoters, who don't care about the sport or the fighters, only the money. Don King has been a cancer to the sport.
If only it was all about the boxers.
[Reply]
shilala 08:12 AM 04-21-2010
I miss my boxing. I haven't had HBO since I changed providers and just plain quit watching. It was getting pretty thin, though. That's evidenced by the never-ending "out of retirement" marquee bouts that were far short of spectacular.
The Klitshco's are like watching boxing at the gym. Neither are graceful fighters, and neither are much fun to watch, at least to me.
The whole thing kinda bums me out. I love good boxing. It'll come around, it's been an ebb and flow sport for the last 30 years. They'll find a few good kids to spark interest that will pound their way through three weight classes and rejuvenate the sport.
Seems like innovation pretty much ceased and boxing just got stuck in the "glory days", trying to revive what was already said and done. I thought Pretty Boy was really going to change the pace of things when he began promoting, but I quit following that story. Don has everything tied up pretty tight, there isn't much room at the trough.
[Reply]
blugill 07:41 PM 04-30-2010
The best fights I believe I've seen were the trilogy of fights between Irish Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti.
That might have been boxings last great stand.

MMA is likely the future of combative sports while boxing has done everything it could to kill itself off.

The great fights, for example Jones - Hopkins was fifteen years too late and irrelevant when it could have been great.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:02 AM 05-01-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
I miss watching Tyson in the old days.
I miss watching the likes of Rocky Marciano and the REAL Sugar Ray on the Gillette Friday Night Fights.

When it comes to boxing, you young farts missed it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up