Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cellophane on or off?
icehog3 03:57 PM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Or you could always just buy CC's and never have to ponder that question :-)
You mean my cello covered Habanos might be fake? :-)

Originally Posted by Humpdebump:
Is there a way to delete this thread :-) :-)
No need. :-)
[Reply]
klipsch 04:00 PM 03-12-2011
I've got some Padron 6000's from 2004 that smelled like chocolate when you took the cello off. I removed the cello from all of the singles, thinking they'd age better like that in the cedar drawer. To this day I feel it was a mistake.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:20 PM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
You mean my cello covered Habanos might be fake? :-)
No yours are real but everyone else ...FAKE! :-)

I kid, I know some older habanos were cello'd but nothing in the recent years unless I'm mistaken?
[Reply]
Pat1075 04:32 PM 03-12-2011
I take the cello off then tie it around the cigar like a bow. That way every time I go to my humi it feels like Christmas and I have a lot of presents.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:44 PM 03-12-2011
No yours are real but everyone else ...FAKE! :-)

I kid, I know some older habanos were cello'd but nothing in the recent years unless I'm mistaken?
I was being tongue-in-cheek too, Bill, you are correct...but the only celloed Habanos I have are a few old machine made. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 04:49 PM 03-12-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I was being tongue-in-cheek too, Bill, you are correct...but the only celloed Habanos I have are a few old machine made. :-)
Oh I know, :-) I remember seeing the old party culebras cello'd and whatnot. But I knew it's been YEARS and YEARS since habanos had cello on them.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:50 PM 03-12-2011
The Party Culebras actually came wrapped in foil....lots of Party machine mades in cello, though.
[Reply]
thecatch83 05:36 PM 03-12-2011
We can't import CC's and Cuba can't import plastic! What gives:-)
[Reply]
T.G 06:22 PM 03-12-2011
Oh I know, :-) I remember seeing the old party culebras cello'd and whatnot. But I knew it's been YEARS and YEARS since habanos had cello on them.
Not that long really, a lot of machine mades were in cello until they stopped making machine mades in 2002 IIRC. I think they are making machine mades again as of late '09, but I'm not familiar with the packaging.

As Tom stated, the old Partagas culebras were in foil and short filler. The current ones are long filler and packed in coffins. The old ones were kind of neat - it was a dress box of 8 foil wrapped culebras plus one single cigar loose.

Originally Posted by thecatch83:
Cello is short for cellophane, it's a wood pulp cellulose product, there is no plastic whatsoever in it.
[Reply]
Miket156 09:20 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by :
by smelly4tay:

I took an 10 yr old Torano out of its tanning cello yesterday and it had a merlot aroma. My vote is leave em on
At my age, I'm not going to live that long so my vote is the take them off! :-)

Cheers,

Mike T.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 09:23 AM 03-14-2011
I remove mine. I love that woodsy and tobacco aroma when i open my humi.

Just dont seem to get then with cello on

Also doesn't look as nice either. Just my :-)
[Reply]
OLS 09:27 AM 03-14-2011
When do you want to smoke em is the question. If you want to hold onto them for 5-10 years, you'd better
leave it on. If you want to smoke them this year, strip em, it won't matter. The less oxygen getting to
your smokes the better. They RACE towards bleh as soon as you take off that wrap. These strong cigars
that got popular about ten years ago or less, maybe they can be taken out of their wraps and take on
a mellower, rounder flavor profile. Same with these guys that buy tall glass cabinets and start dsiplaying
all their boxes open. Just wait...all your smokes will be bland much sooner than you want them to be
(maybe, I don't know you) All your open boxes are belong to us.
[Reply]
Miket156 09:34 AM 03-14-2011
I don't know that a cellophane wrapper can really preserve a cigar's bouquet. I've also noticed some of the oils from cigars that were aging for a long time were absorbed by the cellophane wrapper. That's not good.

I do agree with OLS in that cigars do "mellow" with age. i just happen to think that will happen with or without the cellophane.

Cheers,

Mike T.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:51 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Miket156:
I've also noticed some of the oils from cigars that were aging for a long time were absorbed by the cellophane wrapper. That's not good.
Oils or gases like ammonia that gets trapped in the cello? (yellow cello) That's a good thing.
[Reply]
Humpdebump 12:46 PM 03-14-2011
I'll prob leave them as they come but if I have full cigars then I'll unwrap and let them sit awhile to let them mellow. Thanks for all the replies.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:48 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Humpdebump:
I'll prob leave them as they come but if I have full cigars then I'll unwrap and let them sit awhile to let them mellow. Thanks for all the replies.
Keep in mind, if you want them to "mellow", that will take years. And if you are aging for years, leave them on. As stated before, less air exchange is desired for better aging leave them all on if they come with it.

Besides everyone likes to see yellow cello! :-)

:-)
[Reply]
massphatness 12:52 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by thecatch83:
FWIW, cellophane is not plastic but a plant-based material.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:53 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Cellulose! :-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 12:57 PM 03-14-2011
Maybe someone needs to develop cellophane plants that can grow in Cuba. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:59 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Cello is short for cellophane, it's a wood pulp cellulose product, there is no plastic whatsoever in it.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up