Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Where are you from?
Subvet642 09:24 PM 11-08-2014
Born in Winchester, Mass. Raised in Billerica, Mass. Four years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Live in Weymouth, Mass. Dyed in the wool Yankee.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:25 PM 11-08-2014
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Born in Winchester, Mass. Raised in Billerica, Mass. Four years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Live in Weymouth, Mass. Dyed in the wool Yankee.
And I woulda figured you would be a Red Sox Man. Oh well....Go Yankees! :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:40 PM 11-08-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:
And I woulda figured you would be a Red Sox Man. Oh well....Go Yankees! :-)
Ah! There's the rub. ONLY New Englanders are actual Yankees, New Yorkers are traditionally Knickbockers. It was the Dutch of New Amsterdam That named the British colonists of New England Yankees, which means "John Cheese" in Dutch. The British transferred the name to us as a derogation. Our ancestors embraced it as an act of defiance. Another reason to hate the NY Highlanders. Go Sox! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:46 PM 11-08-2014
That explains the Dead Rabbits. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:51 PM 11-08-2014
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That explains the Dead Rabbits. :-)
That was a good flick. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:52 PM 11-08-2014
John Cleese tie in, John grew up in a small coastal town in England. His father, Reginald, worked as an insurance salesman while his mother Muriel stayed home. His family name had originally been "Cheese," but his grandfather changed it to "Cleese" when he entered the military to avoid being picked on.
[Reply]
shilala 03:33 AM 11-09-2014
I grew up in Sabula, PA.
I just recently took a gopro video for a friend.
I'd suggest you skip to 4:00. I grew up in the blue house at 6:00.
The whole lake community has suffered quite a bit of deferred maintenence in the last 30 years since I left, and has changed dramatically, mostly for the worse.
My stepmom still lives in that house, my Dad moved across the lake.

I stayed in the same area for my first 40 some-odd years, I've been in Cleveland for the last 5 or so. It's been a HUGE change, but I've gotten used to it.
It was tough to go from the mountains and farms to swamps and concrete.
[Reply]
Subvet642 04:24 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
I grew up in Sabula, PA.
The whole lake community has suffered quite a bit of deferred maintenence in the last 30 years since I left, and has changed dramatically, mostly for the worse.
My stepmom still lives in that house, my Dad moved across the lake.

I stayed in the same area for my first 40 some-odd years, I've been in Cleveland for the last 5 or so. It's been a HUGE change, but I've gotten used to it.
It was tough to go from the mountains and farms to swamps and concrete.
Hey Scott, I saw your video of you playing frisbee with Bubs; what an awesome dog!
[Reply]
shilala 04:48 AM 11-09-2014
Hey Scott, I saw your video of you playing frisbee with Bubs; what an awesome dog!
He's my buddy. He's kind of mantal. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:09 AM 11-09-2014
Both in Jacksonville Florida, but that was short time duty only. Parents moved back to Alabama when I was a few months old. Lived about 30 miles north, then NE of Bham since that time. Wife is a travel nurse, so I spend a good bit of time with her in various places since the recession kicked the bottom out of my profession. So on last 10-12 years, spent time in San Fran, San Diego, Modesto, Santa Cruz California; Mission Texas, Ft. Lauderdale, Panama Beach, Pensacola Fla; Richmond and Falls Church Virginia; Charleston SC AND West Virginia; Jackson and Greenville Mississippi; Knoxville Tenn (5 different times), Sheridan Wyoming (my personal favorite), Evansville and West Lafayette Indiana, and currently Paducah, Kentucky. And had the opportunity to meet many fine BOTL in the process.
[Reply]
markem 09:16 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
I grew up in Sabula, PA.
Love the video, Scott. A clean and well kept area - shows a lot of pride in the community and themselves. Bet it would be a great place to find a coffee and just talk to the locals for a good long time.
[Reply]
equetefue 09:38 AM 11-09-2014
Great thread.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico. Moved to Daytona Beach, Fl in 94 to go to college, then off to Texas and Kansas while in the military. Moved back to Orlando in 03' and been living next to Disney since.

Love it here. The weather, the parks, the beaches and best of all the easy access to ports (love cruising), not to mention no state taxes, no front license plate on cars and cheap tobacco.
[Reply]
dijit 10:22 AM 11-09-2014
Born and raised in Indiana, Joined the USAF and lived in San Antonio TX then Monterey CA Then Tucson AZ. Got TDY'ed all over the world Seoul Korea Kadina Japan, Tooley Greenland and Annapolis MD. Moved back to Monterey in 89 and got out of the service lived there another year then moved to San Angelo TX then Tullahoma TN and finally back to Brownsburg Indiana for the last 10 years. I think the wife is going to force me to retire in about 10 years to Florida around Destin area.
[Reply]
shilala 11:01 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
Love the video, Scott. A clean and well kept area - shows a lot of pride in the community and themselves. Bet it would be a great place to find a coffee and just talk to the locals for a good long time.
That it is, Mark. A great place to live.
The lake and community and acres upon acres are all owned by 16 families.
I always thought I'd go back there and finish out my years at the lake, but my family is here now.
I go back and visit regularly, it's only about 2 hours in the car.
The people are wonderful. Between coffee and cocktail hour (that lasts all evening) nobody gets anything done. :-)
Lots and lots of parties and company, too. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:10 AM 11-09-2014
Ah! There's the rub. ONLY New Englanders are actual Yankees, New Yorkers are traditionally Knickbockers. It was the Dutch of New Amsterdam That named the British colonists of New England Yankees, which means "John Cheese" in Dutch. The British transferred the name to us as a derogation. Our ancestors embraced it as an act of defiance. Another reason to hate the NY Highlanders. Go Sox! :-)
its the other way around my friend. The Brits called the Dutch 'Yankees', a combination of 2 common Dutch names "Jan" and "Kees". Kees (as it's pronounced in English) does not mean cheese in Dutch.
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:34 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
its the other way around my friend. The Brits called the Dutch 'Yankees', a combination of 2 common Dutch names "Jan" and "Kees". Kees (as it's pronounced in English) does not mean cheese in Dutch.
I got that from a documentary on early colonial New York. I should have looked that up, first.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:41 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I got that from a documentary on early colonial New York. I should have looked that up, first.
That's ok Darren. Ferdi just pretends to know Dutch:-):-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:44 AM 11-09-2014
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
That's ok Darren. Ferdi just pretends to know Dutch:-):-)
:-)
[Reply]
sikk50 11:54 AM 11-09-2014
Born and raised in Ojai, Ca. Moved to Chico, Ca for two years to get my edjumacation. Back to Ojai for two more years. Then up to Redding, Ca for work. Been here for two years now too
[Reply]
EricF 12:39 PM 11-09-2014
Born in Queens, NY and then moved to Stamford, Ct when I was 5 and lived there until '86 been in south Florida ever since.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up