Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
General Discussion>I Pulled The Trigger on an iPhone 6
massphatness 06:55 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Peter, did Verizon hit you up with a $30 upgrade fee? I see that on their website when I log into my account and go through the upgrade process. I might be better off just preordering, and then selling mine on CL.
DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.
[Reply]
E.J. 07:41 PM 09-18-2014
Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?
[Reply]
pnoon 10:22 PM 09-18-2014
Another question. The trade in value, was this online or at a store? I just did their online appraisal. $36. WTF?!?!
Seriously?
Originally Posted by massphatness:
DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.
I may have to call. I paid $90 (3 x $30) to upgrade and I've been with Verizon forever.
[Reply]
shilala 04:59 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them. :-)
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:36 AM 09-19-2014
Well, interesting. Last night I did the appraisal thingy on Verizon's website multiple times, each time getting something different. Same phone picked for trade in. Strange. The highest was $200, lowest the aforementioned $36.

Still mulling trading mine in for a new 6. Question is do I bite the bullet and just get the 128g? I also need to find out if I'll still be on the plan I have now, which costs me $65/mo after taxes for the one line, 2gig data, unlimited everything else.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:01 AM 09-19-2014
Well that didn't take long. Called Verizon. I can stay in my same plan. Delivery date of 10/3 for my new 6, 128g. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:41 AM 09-19-2014
Bob, did you do the payment/lease thing or pay for the phone straight up?
And if it's okay to ask, how much was it before and after your trade-in?
I'm still flopping around about it. I got the dimensions from apple's website and made a couple cardboard cutouts so me and the kid could compare the new phones to our current ones. The 6 plus is HUGE. The 6 isn't all that much bigger, but it's still a nice upgrade.
I want to check these out in person, and I want to see if the bigger screen helps my "can't see my phone anymore" issue. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:52 AM 09-19-2014
I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:10 AM 09-19-2014
and so it begins.....

Covent Gardens

1000s line up in Hong Kong at one store

5th Avenue

Some mall in the middle of Podunk

[Reply]
shilala 10:14 AM 09-19-2014
I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:15 AM 09-19-2014
This is the line 5 NYC blocks away from the apple store and still going....

[Reply]
E.J. 10:51 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them. :-)
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart. :-)
On Verizon, so sure we do... Will have my wife go figure it out, see if she can get us hooked up.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 11:00 AM 09-19-2014
I went this morning at the Verizon store, no preorder, got a 6 plus. Traded in my iPhone 5 for $200. Apparently the trade in system was down, sales guy walks out with $200 gift card and used it towards the new phone. I was in and out in about an hour.

6 plus is huge. Something to get used to. But the screen is fantastic and using panoramic mode is like using an ipad.
[Reply]
longknocker 01:45 PM 09-19-2014
Have The 5 & It Works Fine, So I'm OK. Enjoy, Though!:-):-)
[Reply]
jjirons69 02:21 PM 09-19-2014
A friend of mine showed me his "smaller" 6 today. Looked very nice. Light, too. He did the Verizon trade-in with the 64GB upgrade. These phones are getting so big. I remember when a phone in your pocket was the size of a thick money clip. I have a 4s with a minimal case and I feel like I have pocket full. I can't imagine what the bigger 6 would be like in my pocket.

Congrats, Peter!
[Reply]
big pete 09:09 PM 09-19-2014
Got mine and my wife's 6 Plus in the mail today. No way in hell I'd wait in any of those crazy lines.

So much area with a 6 Plus (coming from a 4S). My eyes are still getting used to it. Also tested it in my pocket and it's not too bad.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:53 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon. :-)
Yea, regular 5, 32gig. And yep, not like they're not making enough cash, to charge you to upgrade.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:18 PM 09-20-2014
I went to the Several Apple Stores yesterday. The+ is by far the biggest seller. Not to mention the insane line. Today I went back and they were sold out. Went to Best Buy too, same story.

Sold out across carriers.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:28 PM 09-20-2014
On another note, the new iphones are slippery in that they can easily slip out of your hands. Get a case because the reviews that I've watched have shown unprotected screens shattering. YMMV
[Reply]
Shaneg 09:18 PM 09-20-2014
200$ for a trade in is super appealing
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 34 > Last »
Up