< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Please read...credit card compromised
St. Lou Stu 07:27 AM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
No thrice screwed? :-) You deserved it!
Yeah! I wish it worked that way!
I'd have a permagrin! :-)

I should also clarify......

This card has not been used for any vendor transactions.

It is my travel and big item card only.

I use gift cards for purchases.. they are a very cheap insurance policy for this type of thing.
[Reply]
e-man67 07:37 AM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.

Damn...that sucks!!!!! Be safe people and check your statements!
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:03 AM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Damn...that sucks!!!!! Be safe people and check your statements!

No worries...... My wife checks them VERY carefully! :-)
[Reply]
SNKBYT 08:20 AM 05-13-2009
being deployed I only use a low limit cc for purchases and check my statements and credit often to ensure no wrong doings
[Reply]
shadow king 08:31 AM 05-13-2009
I just got a call from my bank. Someone tried to charge $20,000 and $10,000 against my card which had recently been used ONCE by a vendor.

Man this is VERY troubling. Are you going to contact that vendor and ask them WTF? Any updates on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:33 AM 05-13-2009
Originally Posted by e-man67:
I got a call from my credit card company asking me to confirm 2 recent charges on my account. Whomever got ahold of my charge tried to charge 2 different charges for $14 for Skype. I told the credit card company NO I did not authorize this and they immediately closed the account.
Exact same thing just happened to my wife and I. A totally random $13 purchase on skype. We closed our card as well. Clearly this is some way they test the validity of the card. Interesting.

I didn't use this card for any type of cigar purchases though, just throwing that out there.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:36 AM 05-13-2009
Yes, I have contacted the vendor. They said they just installed a new highly secure system within the last week. I told them it was one heck of a coincidence that two of us had used the same vendor and had a problem in the last week.

BTW... the card I used was on a brand new account. It had only been used twice and the other was a local liquor store where I have done business for years.

I may go the pre-paid route from now on.
[Reply]
Linus 08:40 AM 05-13-2009
Wow. So either the vender is unethical or their site has been compromised. :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 06:22 PM 05-13-2009
I got a visa card through Wells Fargo (where I bank) with a $1,000 credit limit I use just for online purchasing.

I think it was originally offered as overdraft protection - so if I bounce a check it will cover the charge - but has the same fraud protections as a standard credit card.
[Reply]
Moglman 09:35 PM 06-02-2009
I know it's been posted elsewhere, but I just got slammed with fraudulent charges. $1646 and $6187 to "Thinq Learning Development" and a $500 Poopal charge. PP was declined, and the others I need to talk to the credit union about tomorrow. I got multiple fraud calls on these and the card is closed.

This has been discussed on multiple boards but check your cards and take preemptive action. It's an epidemic for the cigar community.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 09:54 PM 06-02-2009
I check my account balance every day, and this is a good reminder that it is justified to do so. :-)
[Reply]
BradNC 09:55 PM 06-02-2009
I have a "poopal" account and use their one time generated credit card number option if the site looks questionable or if I feel uneasy. That eliminates the concern for me in that "sitchiation".
[Reply]
CueTheMusic 07:53 AM 06-03-2009
Yep, I have a citi card, and use their virtual account number feature. It is nice because you can set an expiration date and a max amount on the virtual number, so I'll set the max amount to a few dollars above my purchase, and set it to expire soon after I use it.
[Reply]
BigFrank 09:15 AM 06-03-2009
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have yet to have this happen to me, key word yet. I know a few guys who have had to deal with someone else charging crap on their card. Most companies are pretty decent about bad charges though.
[Reply]
shadow king 10:21 AM 06-05-2009
I came home last night to discover that I have $644 in unauthorized multiple transactions on my card. Just spent a good hour down at the bank getting things worked out and discovered some disturbing similiarities between my charges and another BOTL on here who had the same charges from the same places. We both have made purchases from a vendor who is wildly popular on this forum. This is the 3rd incident that I know of with this vendor. Their website has either been compromised or they have a dishonest thief working for them. I strongly recommend that anyone who is a regular with this place stay away from them until things can get resolved one way or the other. This is the first time I have had this type of thing happen to me ever. Given their reputation, I feel this might be a temporary thing with a bad employee...I hope.
[Reply]
dunng 10:29 AM 06-05-2009
There are actually 15+ sites hosted on the same server... It seems that the server or card processor has been compromised. :-)
[Reply]
e-man67 01:41 PM 06-07-2009
Yeah, to make things worse I gave my home phone for this purchase and I have been getting phishing phonecalls every day since...I guess this is a new techinque or something since I closed my card down...they call and act like a doctors office, dentist, florist, all kinds of wierd stuff asking for someone then asking me for personal info...this sucks and what a hassle...I'm done. :-)
[Reply]
Waynegro1 02:39 PM 06-07-2009
Last year I was in Italy to visit family and only used my CC a couple times. I got back to the states and a few weeks later I noticed almost $2,000 in extra charges on my card. I called the CC company and they said the charges took place in Spain (I won''t even tell you what shops it was used at, let's just say it took some explaining) :-). I didn't leave Italia once and had charges in Spain!! It was taken care of, but you're dead on, pay attention to your bill just in case.
Thanks for the reminder. :-)
[Reply]
Old Sailor 10:22 PM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by shadow king:
I came home last night to discover that I have $644 in unauthorized multiple transactions on my card. Just spent a good hour down at the bank getting things worked out and discovered some disturbing similiarities between my charges and another BOTL on here who had the same charges from the same places. We both have made purchases from a vendor who is wildly popular on this forum. This is the 3rd incident that I know of with this vendor. Their website has either been compromised or they have a dishonest thief working for them. I strongly recommend that anyone who is a regular with this place stay away from them until things can get resolved one way or the other. This is the first time I have had this type of thing happen to me ever. Given their reputation, I feel this might be a temporary thing with a bad employee...I hope.
Does this place know of the comprimise though?
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:40 AM 06-08-2009
Another member on here that I'm personal friends with had his card stolen from this same vendor a week or so ago. Same song and dance with the Skype stuff. This is very bad news that it's now consistently happening.... At this point, I think it's wise that EVERYONE stay away from this site and any site connected with them for a bit until this blows over. There's no reason for fellow BOTL's to get scammed. This is obviously an on-going issue that needs to be addressed.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up