Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Advice on Sticks
JJG 07:05 PM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by The Postman:
I have been smoking for about 3 years now and have yet to buy a box. I really like the variety of smokes that you can smoke, and like to buy 5's and 10's of cigars that I like because that way you get to repeat the cigars that you find you like.
:-)

Even if you find something you really like, your tastes are bound to change, so what tastes great one day, may not tastes so good the next. You can get by without ever buying a box.
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 09:51 PM 02-07-2010
You can't go wrong with the "P"'s my friend.....Pepin, Padron, Padilla and sometimes Patel!
[Reply]
spizz 10:54 PM 02-07-2010
You can have so much more variety with sticks :-)
[Reply]
Phiberglass 11:38 PM 02-10-2010
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Ordered a few 5 packs and a Don Pepin sampler. I'll be hitting the local B&M this weekend as well!
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 03:41 AM 02-11-2010
I am going too put the hobby in a short and sadly abrupt statement, stemming from ten years of smoking...

Cigars are a lot like both wine and whisky in an enjoyment way, in fact one I live in a very happy way...."everyday there is always something new too try."

Getting out of bed everyday, I know that I will undoubtedly learn something new. Everyday, I wake up knowing that, there is something new in the world of premium cigars too try and never will there exist a shortage of favorites.

Too me, the single greatest piece I have been given in the world of cigars, smoking never should cause stress or a lack in new experiences, even if you are smoking the same thing as the previous day.

If you look at the hobby in that manner, it will be the most rewarding experience in your life, mostly because of the people you meet. Had it not been for Cigarasylum, I would be in just that. The people here have been my greatest foray into "sanity."

P.S.: what kind of cars?
[Reply]
shilala 06:26 AM 02-11-2010
I had loads of fun digging in magazines.
I'd see a cigar that looked and sounded really good, then set out hunting for it. Most often the chase was a lot more fun than the cigar, but the chase turned the whole experience into a good time.
There was an excellent point here about notes.
After some time, and after LOTS of cigars, I started learning a bit. That's the point where I started wishing I'd taken notes early on because I could have went back and leaned on them. At that point I started making note at the forums, that way I could go back and see what I did and why.
It sounds like a roundabout way of taking notes, but it's easier for me like that. :-)
[Reply]
Phiberglass 08:58 PM 02-12-2010
Thanks guys for all the help! Picked up a bunch of new sticks and I have more coming on the way.

I'm mainly into European cars, but anything that feeds on gasoline and melts rubber I enjoy.
[Reply]
Volt 07:48 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
Just keep trying different sticks and don't buy a lot of anything until you find some you really like. What you like will change over time, so fivers are a good way to go. I picked up my best cigars by reading the reviews here on CA, don't buy into anybody's advertising hype. :-)

Not real sure why this is true, but it is. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 07:57 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by Phiberglass:
Picked up a bunch of new sticks and I have more coming on the way.
So... details? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Phiberglass 09:57 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
So... details? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Don Pepin sampler - 15 sticks
Punch Rothschild Maduro 5er
Punch Rare Corojo 5er

A friend gifted me the below:
Tatuaje Havana VI
Tatuaje Cabaiguan
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubo
El Triunfador Lancero
Camacho Room 101
[Reply]
Kreth 10:13 AM 02-13-2010
Don Pepin sampler - 15 sticks
Punch Rothschild Maduro 5er
Punch Rare Corojo 5er

A friend gifted me the below:
Tatuaje Havana VI
Tatuaje Cabaiguan
Tatuaje Verocu Red Tubo
El Triunfador Lancero
Camacho Room 101
Wow, starting off with a bang! I think you'll be very happy with those sticks. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Razorhog 10:29 AM 02-13-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Wow, starting off with a bang! I think you'll be very happy with those sticks. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 02:19 PM 02-13-2010
Good Mild - Rocky Patel American Market Selection (available at Famous Smoke)
Good Medium - Arturo Fuente 858 (Natural are mild-medium, Maduro are Medium)
Good Full-Medium - Partagas Black
Good Full - Joyo de Nicaragua Antano 1970

All priced middle of the road

YMMV
[Reply]
The Postman 07:57 PM 02-15-2010
Now is the time to start keeping track of what you smoke, with simple comments as to what you thought of them as you go. I made up a simple spreadsheet, and now it goes back almost 3 years. Looking over it you can start to see patterns in what you like and dislike, that will guide you in future purchases. Good luck brother, strap in and enjoy the ride!!!!
[Reply]
Phiberglass 08:37 PM 02-15-2010
Thanks for the tips! I've been writing down notes and cigars I've tried, definitely helps out. The Pepin sampler came in today so it's doing to be a good week. I also have a 28 bottle wine cooler coming, to protect the sticks in the summer. Now to just fill it! So many sticks, so little time.
[Reply]
issues 08:42 PM 02-15-2010
I'm sure you will enjoy the DPG sampler; Pepin makes a great stick! :-)

A cooler already eh?

You are sliding down that slope with a quickness!!!

[Reply]
Phiberglass 09:43 AM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
I'm sure you will enjoy the DPG sampler; Pepin makes a great stick! :-)

A cooler already eh?

You are sliding down that slope with a quickness!!!

Picked up an Edgestar 28 Bottle Thermoeletric cooler for $100 (open box units). So I figured what the hell, even if I don't end up using it for cigars I can always store wine and overflow of my nicer beers before I throw them in the fridge.
[Reply]
Razorhog 09:45 AM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by The Postman:
Now is the time to start keeping track of what you smoke, with simple comments as to what you thought of them as you go. I made up a simple spreadsheet, and now it goes back almost 3 years. Looking over it you can start to see patterns in what you like and dislike, that will guide you in future purchases. Good luck brother, strap in and enjoy the ride!!!!
I did the same with a google docs spreadsheet so I can edit it anywhere.
[Reply]
Phiberglass 08:42 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
I did the same with a google docs spreadsheet so I can edit it anywhere.
I have it setup the same way as well.

Tried the 601 Serie Green Oscuro, from the Don Pepin sampler and wasn't a big fan. Going to try a few more this weekend. My cooler arrived this morning, so I'm going to start the seasoning process tonight and I have beads on the way, then to fill this bad boy up.

[Reply]
neoflex 09:26 PM 02-18-2010
Picked up an Edgestar 28 Bottle Thermoeletric cooler for $100 (open box units). So I figured what the hell, even if I don't end up using it for cigars I can always store wine and overflow of my nicer beers before I throw them in the fridge.
Ahh don't worry, sounds like you are well on your way so I am going to bet in no time at all you would be lucky to fit a bottle of wine or beer in that fridge. The only thing larger storage space means is you thrive to buy more to fill it. I give it a couple months until your trying to squeeze another box of smokes in there let alone using it for wine or beer overflow. Welcome to the slope my friend!:-) It's a fun ride!:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up