Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Anyone else
dentonparrots 03:32 PM 05-07-2009
If a seed was produced from Cuban tobacco plants, and grown under identical soil, lighting and water conditions surely it should taste absolutely the same. In this day and age with soil testing and additives surely only the climate and water could alter the tastes assuming they've put the additives into the soil. Just a thought....
[Reply]
Junior 03:53 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by dentonparrots:
If a seed was produced from Cuban tobacco plants, and grown under identical soil, lighting and water conditions surely it should taste absolutely the same. In this day and age with soil testing and additives surely only the climate and water could alter the tastes assuming they've put the additives into the soil. Just a thought....
I don’t like the term. It will fool a lot of naive people, and possibly turn them off of a cigar that they may fall in love with, because of bad marketing.

From what I understand Cubans are the way they are because of the Climate, and growing conditions they have. I would say that it would be different in other countries even with the soil additives. Also my thought on Cuban Seeds, it is my understanding which could be wrong, but the seeds were originally taken from Cuba when the cigar makes fled from Cuba. Wouldn’t all the seeds other than the first setting be from the country they are grown in? Again this is just my thoughts, and they could very well be incorrect.
[Reply]
dentonparrots 04:07 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by Junior:
Also my thought on Cuban Seeds, it is my understanding which could be wrong, but the seeds were originally taken from Cuba when the cigar makes fled from Cuba. Wouldn’t all the seeds other than the first setting be from the country they are grown in? Again this is just my thoughts, and they could very well be incorrect.
I've been on a site about growing tobacco (think it's called coffin nails) and I think you may very well be right, the different generations of seeds produce different smokes even though they are from the same genetic line.
I aint no expert either mind!
[Reply]
Sr Mike 04:21 PM 05-07-2009
Every "cuban-esque" cigar I have smoked tasted like tobacco, those bastards!!!
[Reply]
SmokinApe 05:50 PM 05-07-2009
Not only the conditions must be the same; the growing; the curing, the blending and the rolling must be the same...
[Reply]
nozero 05:54 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Meh, it's a marketing ploy. If the cigar tastes good, burns good I don't care if they call it Ronald McDonald's Private Reserve.
In the end, I'm the one who decides for me.
[Reply]
dentonparrots 06:05 PM 05-07-2009
Originally Posted by nozero:
In the end, I'm the one who decides for me.
:-) I couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Sr Mike:
Every "cuban-esque" cigar I have smoked tasted like tobacco, those bastards!!!
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
BMTA 06:09 PM 05-07-2009
Absolutely!
[Reply]
neoflex 06:16 PM 05-07-2009
The problem is it's a marketing ploy that works. Although many boards have tons of members, there is still a giant portion of the market of cigar smokers who don't know any better. I have talked to numerous cigar smokers in my life that have been a lover of the leaf a long time and I sh*t you not it is not uncommon to hear these people say "I like xyz cigar because it's made from a Cuban seed and tastes just like a Cuban" I usually just nod and don't argue with their logic as if it works for them and makes them feel better about there choice of what to smoke because it says that on the box than who am I to ruin it for them. I do ask what Cubans they have smoked and what they compare to and 99.9% of the time I get Cohiba as an answer. In my head I am usually responding, "From a glasstop box right?":-):-)
The truth of the matter is a large portion of us BOTL and SOTL don't know any better. There's a reason why Acid is one of the top selling brands.:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up