Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>5.8 Earthquake
Ogre 12:33 PM 08-23-2011
Leighs dad, who live in MD, was on the toilet. Said it "Scared the CRAP out of him"!!!!!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:34 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Leighs dad, who live in MD, was on the toilet. Said it "Scared the CRAP out of him"!!!!!
Well I didn't want to admit it but I was in a similar situation, except I didn't have the hilarious pun to explain myself!
[Reply]
Kneo 12:34 PM 08-23-2011
My boss is in Richmond. Building they are in has been evacuated and cell phones are not working.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:35 PM 08-23-2011
Cell Phone issues here too but no physical damage heard of, hope everything is okay in Richmond!
[Reply]
tsolomon 12:39 PM 08-23-2011
Our building was evacuated here in DC and they just let us back in. I'm on the 9th floor and that was really spooky. Started as a low rumble in the floor and then it felt like the whole building was swaying.
[Reply]
neoflex 12:39 PM 08-23-2011
No cell service in Jersey either. Just got an e-mail from a client giving me a heads up. To think I was going to call VZW with a cell issue this afternoon. Maybe I will wait until tomorrow.:-)
[Reply]
Mikess 12:43 PM 08-23-2011
Here in eastern NC it was felt, thought there was a convoy of tanks running.
[Reply]
Drez 12:44 PM 08-23-2011
I hope everyone is ok!!
[Reply]
shilala 12:49 PM 08-23-2011
I asked the kids if they felt it, they didn't. Lisa is in New Castle, PA and no one in the courthouse felt it.

If I were not balancing in my office chair, I probably wouldn't have noticed, honestly. I just shrugged and thought it was a really strange way to lose my balance, and it only continued for a second after I put my feet down. Apparently I was able to feel the sway because I was balanced the way I was.

I can remember an earthquake back around '87 in PA, but I didn't feel that one. Most others did.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:20 PM 08-23-2011
5.9 will usually knock stuff off store shelves, makes a mess in the liquor stores. Rarely damages buildings in developed countries. We call it "Earth surfing" here.
Thousands can die in stick and mud houses in other countries from these little shakers. Hope all the mines are all right.
[Reply]
chand 01:40 PM 08-23-2011
We shook here in Dover but nothing major. Took me awhile to figure out what it was.
[Reply]
RGD. 01:43 PM 08-23-2011
I was sitting in my truck in a parking lot in Fredericksburg when it happened.

At first I thought my motor developed a miss (F350 Diesel). Then it started swaying from side to side, then the front and rear started bouncing up and down, then it shook every which way. I thought "Cool, my first official earthquake!"

Here at the house - pictures are crooked, the aftershave and cologne bottles on my dresser were knocked over as was the stuff on my wife's dresser.

All the china, glassware, etc etc in the cabinets were okay though.

JoJo (our bird) was pissing a fit though when I came in the door.

Ron
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:44 PM 08-23-2011
Just reading up on this. It seemed to cause some minor damage to a lot of places. It always surprises me to read about people pouring out of buildings into the streets where they can be hit by pieces of building falling off.
[Reply]
Ogre 01:45 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:
I was sitting in my truck in a parking lot in Fredericksburg when it happened.

At first I thought my motor developed a miss (F350 Diesel). Then it started swaying from side to side, then the front and rear started bouncing up and down, then it shook every which way. I thought "Cool, my first official earthquake!"

Here at the house - pictures are crooked, the aftershave and cologne bottles on my dresser were knocked over as was the stuff on my wife's dresser.

All the china, glassware, etc etc in the cabinets were okay though.

JoJo (our bird) was pissing a fit though when I came in the door.

Ron
No, you were right. It was your Ford Truck!!!
[Reply]
Dave128 01:48 PM 08-23-2011
Shook pretty good for a few seconds here in Albany, NY. We were even told to evacuate for about 20 minutes. A bit over kill if you ask me.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:59 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Wimps!!!:-)

California born and raised!:-)
It's a different story for the East Coast. With the Appalachians and the rock strata, quakes travel much, much, much, much farther than they do in California. Most west coast quakes rarely have any effect or notice outside a 150 mile radius. But they have a much greater effect within that 150 miles. As can be seen from this quake, the effects were felt and recognized more than 500 miles away! But no damages reported, because the effects are dissipated better than is possible on the west coast.

But, apparently, the greatest fear (understandable) was that there were more 9/11 attacks that were shaking the buildings! Not a fear that the West Coast has had to deal with!

As a father with a son and a daughter-in-law, and as a brother with a sister, brother-in-law, two nephews and a niece ALL less than 100 miles from the epicenter, I don't begrudge them being concerned. AT ALL. Just saying!!
[Reply]
mmblz 02:00 PM 08-23-2011
felt in NH
[Reply]
pektel 02:01 PM 08-23-2011
I thought one of ninja's bombs landed early.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:02 PM 08-23-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
No, you were wrong. If it was a Chevy instead of a Ford, you'd be right!!
Fixed that for you!!!:-) Don't make me :-) you!! You know I still have your addy!:-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 02:02 PM 08-23-2011
I was driving on I-95 around Fayetteville, NC. Didn't feel a thing... guess I missed it. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up