Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Hey San Fran Guys
pnoon 06:12 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by Tecnorobo:
I am a self-anointed admin.
New forum rules/revisions:
If you wish to be an active participant here at the Asylum, you must periodically pay homage to my powers as Administrator. This means stopping by in Kansas City to give me foot massages (you can hire someone else for this if you wish), and pay for BBQ at Arthur Bryant's.

Secondly, if you wish to be an active participant in this forum, and you happen to live in San Fran, You must tell me this: Is San Fran a great place to explore for a new couple?
Knock it off, Blake. My post was not meant to be funny.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:13 PM 01-20-2011
I am a self-anointed admin.
New forum rules/revisions:
If you wish to be an active participant here at the Asylum, you must periodically pay homage to my powers as Administrator. This means stopping by in Kansas City to give me foot massages (you can hire someone else for this if you wish), and pay for BBQ at Arthur Bryant's.
Sorry, I only eat at Jack Stack's. :-)
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 06:15 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Knock it off, Blake. My post was not meant to be funny.
Fair enough Peter. I was only trying to lighten the mood a bit. No harm meant. Like I said earlier, I'm only trying to host a thread where I can grab information from people who live/are experienced with the area. It's supposed to be light hearted conversation, and if that can't happen, then I'll request for the thread to be closed.
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 06:18 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Sorry, I only eat at Jack Stack's. :-)
Tom, this is blasphemy. Come back to KC and I'll take you to some BBQ joints to see if I can't help you change your opinion.
[Reply]
mmblz 06:20 PM 01-20-2011
http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 06:22 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by mmblz:
http://www.alfredssteakhouse.com/
That looks pretty great.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 06:41 PM 01-20-2011
Blake,

Feel free to PM me with your plans and food eateries questions, I will be happy to point out a few things.
[Reply]
Stephen 06:44 PM 01-20-2011
The fiancé and I took a short vacation this summer to the San Fransisco area. Also being from the Kansas City area like yourself, let me make a few suggestions (and please, someone please feel free to jump in for further detail/clarification):

1. San Fransisco in mid-May is NOT Kansas City in mid-May. 70 is a heat wave, so pack accordingly.

2. If you plan on staying in the city and have a vehicle, plan on paying out the nose for parking.

3. I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Chinatown is worth taking in. Nothing like it in the Midwest, and it's both educational and eye-opening to take in a completely different culture.

4. Golden Gate Park is nice. Several things to do there as well (California Academy of Sciences for instance).

5. Make plans to have drinks at the Top of the Mark lounge in the Mark Hopkins hotel. Trust me on this one.

6. Don't know how long you're planning on being out there, but Yosemite is about four hours East, and the Bixby Creek Bridge (culminates a scenic Highway 1 drive) is a couple hours South.
[Reply]
Stephen 06:49 PM 01-20-2011
Forgot to mention Palace of Fine Arts. Doesn't take too long to take in, and you can say you've been there.:-)
[Reply]
Stephen 06:50 PM 01-20-2011
Tom, this is blasphemy. Come back to KC and I'll take you to some BBQ joints to see if I can't help you change your opinion.
Oklahoma Joe's for the win.:-)
[Reply]
mmblz 07:03 PM 01-20-2011
http://www.whiskyshopusa.com/
[Reply]
mmblz 07:09 PM 01-20-2011
http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/
[Reply]
bobarian 07:37 PM 01-20-2011
Often as locals we would recommend different places than someone on their first trip. Much as you would have your recommendations for local KC BBQ but a tourist would prefer the classics. Fortunately in this day of the interweb you will find many good travel guides with their own recommendations.

A few more things I will throw out are:

Beach Blanket Babylon-An irreverent musical Broadway type show
Cable Car ride
Ghiraredelli Square-Adjacent to Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 39-Also near enough to the Wharf to walk
The Cliff House-Great sunsets and cocktails
Palace of Fine Arts/Exploratorium

Wherever you decide to go, San Francisco is one of the truly great cities of the world. Whether you are cutting edge, adventurous, a foodie or a patron of the arts, there is something here for everyone.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:47 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Often as locals we would recommend different places than someone on their first trip. Much as you would have your recommendations for local KC BBQ but a tourist would prefer the classics. Fortunately in this day of the interweb you will find many good travel guides with their own recommendations.

A few more things I will throw out are:

Beach Blanket Babylon-An irreverent musical Broadway type show
Cable Car ride
Ghiraredelli Square-Adjacent to Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 39-Also near enough to the Wharf to walk
The Cliff House-Great sunsets and cocktails
Palace of Fine Arts/Exploratorium

Wherever you decide to go, San Francisco is one of the truly great cities of the world. Whether you are cutting edge, adventurous, a foodie or a patron of the arts, there is something here for everyone.
We wanted to make it here but didn't. Heard nothing but great things about this place.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up