< 12 3 >
General Discussion>Does anyone know the meaning of "No Soliciting"
pnoon 11:15 PM 04-21-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXjAIizqZNI
Exactly!
[Reply]
TripleF 06:50 AM 04-22-2009
Actually I do know the meaning. After having been in door-to-door sales for a number of years I decided to find out what 'solicit' meant. It has nothing to do with intruding on an indivdual's privacy.......it means to 'entice'.

I highly recommend changing your sign to having something to do with knocking or ringing the bell.

Just tryin' to help. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:16 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
put this sign on the outside gate entrance
And get a dog.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:35 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by TripleF:
Actually I do know the meaning. After having been in door-to-door sales for a number of years I decided to find out what 'solicit' meant. It has nothing to do with intruding on an indivdual's privacy.......it means to 'entice'.

I highly recommend changing your sign to having something to do with knocking or ringing the bell.

Just tryin' to help. :-)
Scott, I am thinking of changing my sign to:

"If I don't know you, and you ring the bell, I am gonna #@*& you up."

That would hopefully stop the "enticers". :-) :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:40 AM 04-22-2009
Look at the BIG OL SWEETIE!!! Eyeballin some pork chops!

Works like a charm. :-)

[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:44 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
And get a dog.
Yeah a German Shepherd

or a doberman pinscher
[Reply]
TripleF 08:46 AM 04-22-2009

True. True. Straight and to the point.

When people used to ask me if I saw the sign (referring to their NO SOLICITING" sign, I replied - No). Most of the time they had no reply. It's because I knew what soliciting meant and was prepared to inform them of the meaning.

Now if they had a sign that said, "DO NOT KNOCK ON MY DOOR or RING MY DOORBELL- IF I AM NOT EXPECTING YOU I WILL NOT COME TO THE DOOR"....I would have obliged and moved on.

:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:50 AM 04-22-2009
True. True. Straight and to the point.

When people used to ask me if I saw the sign (referring to their NO SOLICITING" sign, I replied - No). Most of the time they had no reply. It's because I knew what soliciting meant and was prepared to inform them of the meaning.

Now if they had a sign that said, "DO NOT KNOCK ON MY DOOR or RING MY DOORBELL- IF I AM NOT EXPECTING YOU I WILL NOT COME TO THE DOOR"....I would have obliged and moved on.

:-)
Were you selling something scott?
[Reply]
ade06 08:55 AM 04-22-2009
Times are tough and people are just trying to make a living. Give them a break. If you really don't want to be bothered by anyone, move out of the city/suburbs and into the country side (just joking, unless you find this advice useful).
[Reply]
landhoney 09:01 AM 04-22-2009

What about Swedish swimsuit models who need directions and rubdowns? :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 09:03 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Were you selling something scott?

Always...

Haven't used that technique for years tho. Thank GOD!
[Reply]
rizzle 09:04 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by SixPackSunday:
as somebody who has sadly worked door to door for a non profit... we are told it doesnt matter what your sign says, we are to ask. We always had a signed paper from the city saying we were allowed to be there and asking for donations. got a new paper everyday. plenty of people hated me, but I still got a ton of donations everyday. I also hate solicitors, but until it stops working, I cant really blame them...
I can, if I have a "No Solictors Welcome" sign posted clearly on my door, and one of them rings my bell at 9AM after I have worked a graveyard shift. :-)
Originally Posted by pnoon:
That's the issue. People publicly post a sign declining any solicitation yet solicitors blatantly ignore that information. Any organization who ignores such information is just plain rude behavior IMO.

Similar situation is with phone solicitors. I know they are just doing a job but when I say "Thanks but I'm not interested." and they keep yammering ignoring what I've said, courtesy is abandoned and I give them piece of my mind.
It's the whole "non-profit" that sadly allows them to get around the wishes of most, and the laws of all. I don't get many at my door but my freaking phone rings off the hook. I literally haven't answered it until after 9 PM for 8+ years.
[Reply]
adampc22 09:07 AM 04-22-2009
hi i am sorry to jump in on this thread but would u like to supscribe to my magazine thread jumpers weekley

i am so so sorry
[Reply]
TripleF 09:09 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
As a door to door salesman you are trying to entice them into buying your product/giving to charity/etc. If I don't want people trying to entice me into something on my property, then that is an intrusion. The word soliciting/solicitor is a good "catch all" because it covers sales/salesman, charities, etc. etc. The are all trying to solicit/entice you into something. At least that's the way I see it.

.....and you can see how affectively "NO SOLICITING" signs work, huh :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:13 AM 04-22-2009
Always...

Haven't used that technique for years tho. Thank GOD!

There are a bunch of definitions for soliciting, but the one the OP is talking about reffers to door-to-door sales. You said something about enticing which I think would fall under a sale of a product. Therefore, he could technically press charges against someone trying to sell something to him at his home.(if he had a sign posted). Each town/city can zone its own rules for stuff like this so checking your local laws can answer a question fast.
[Reply]
-MG- 09:18 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I don't get many at my door but my freaking phone rings off the hook. I literally haven't answered it until after 9 PM for 8+ years.
Same idea here, if the caller ID isn't familiar (and somebody I actually want to talk to) I don't pick up. I've made an exception once or twice when the same number calls 3 times a day for several days on end and refuses to leave a message, but then I typically have a few choice words when I do pick up :-)

Same general idea with my front door, if I didn't invite somebody over and the bell rings or somebody knocks, I don't even go look who it is. I've had (uninvited) friends call me before from my front door because they knew I was home but I didn't open the door :-) .
[Reply]
icehog3 09:29 AM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by landhoney:
What about Swedish swimsuit models who need directions and rubdowns? :-)
They just let themselves in, Seth. :-)
[Reply]
cbsmokin 11:05 AM 04-22-2009
If you would let everyone know that the next line on your "No Soliciting" sign is "Unless you are a prostitute," it might clear some more things up. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Hardcz 11:28 AM 04-22-2009
I can see when people walk up to my door and when I'm sure they are trying to sell me something I usually grab my 8 inch chefs knife, answer the door and say I'm busy cutting things. Usually they see the knife and hesitate or take my statement as true and leave. There are some nasty bastages that just won't leave tho and I usually have to close the door on them.
[Reply]
Volt 11:39 AM 04-22-2009
Because I expect people at my door to be rude - she answers the door - yes she bites:

[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up