Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>411 on Flor de Oliva
Tyler 02:35 AM 07-01-2011
I think that was taken from Wikipedia though?

http://olivacigar.com/default.aspx

Wouldn't flor de oliva be listed on their website though? Then again Nubs aren't. I am going to contact them and find out.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 02:39 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:

Wouldn't flor de oliva be listed on their website though? Then again Nubs aren't. I am going to contact them and find out.
:-)
[Reply]
Tyler 02:42 AM 07-01-2011
I'll report back here with a copy of the email when/if I get a response.
[Reply]
Silound 03:53 AM 07-01-2011

Brand separation is a huge thing is many industries, not just cigars. See GMC and Chevrolet, Ford and Mercury...

As I recall, a rep once told me that FdO's are actually a specific blend that is simply blended with cheaper tobaccos to make a decent $2-5 stick. Oliva as a company does not sell "seconds" or "leftovers" as an Oliva branded name cigar.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:26 AM 07-01-2011
I have always heard that they are two separate companies with almost the same name, hence the confusion. I know some people who see FdO and immediately think they will smoke like the Oliva cigars. In my opinion they are not owned by the same people but just have similar names, if not the same for their factories, which lead to better sales for FdO and no negative repercussions for Oliva as far as I can tell, other than people being confused, so neither really does anything about it. Just my 2 cents though.
not true either. Flor de Oliva is the budget line from Oliva. I have been in the Oliva Headquarters in Hileah and saw boxes full of Flor de Oliva there, next to the V, O, Connecticut Reserve and G series, Nubs and Cains.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:31 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by Silound:
Brand separation is a huge thing is many industries, not just cigars. See GMC and Chevrolet, Ford and Mercury...

As I recall, a rep once told me that FdO's are actually a specific blend that is simply blended with cheaper tobaccos to make a decent $2-5 stick. Oliva as a company does not sell "seconds" or "leftovers" as an Oliva branded name cigar.
leftover tobacco, and I guess seconds and cigars that didn't meet quality standards too, are shredded and sold to makers of dry cigars, at least, that's what José Oliva told me.
[Reply]
T.G 05:48 AM 07-01-2011
I have always heard that they are two separate companies with almost the same name, hence the confusion. I know some people who see FdO and immediately think they will smoke like the Oliva cigars. In my opinion they are not owned by the same people but just have similar names, if not the same for their factories, which lead to better sales for FdO and no negative repercussions for Oliva as far as I can tell, other than people being confused, so neither really does anything about it. Just my 2 cents though.
There are two Olivas.

There is the Oliva Cigar company - who makes these cigars, the letter cigars (O,V,G), Master Blends, Nub, Cain etc.

And there is the Oliva Tobacco company - who are tobacco growers and suppliers to many in the cigar industry: http://www.olivatobacco.com/

The Oliva Tobacco Company did actually release a cigar a few years ago, the "Angel 100" in commemoration of their founder, Angel Oliva. But that was it.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:30 AM 07-01-2011
That's your first problem. If you want facts, don't go to Wiki.

Second problem, you're overthinking it. :-)
[Reply]
G G 10:08 AM 07-01-2011
There is some confusion about this, Oliva Cigar Co. and Oliva Tobacco are two separate companies, but Oliva Cigar company does make FDO plus all the others.
[Reply]
Tyler 10:23 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
That's your first problem. If you want facts, don't go to Wiki.

Second problem, you're overthinking it. :-)
I didn't go to Wikipedia, he did and that's what I was saying is you can't always trust Wikipedia. And I probably am overthinking lol.
[Reply]
G G 10:28 AM 07-01-2011
Angel 100s were good too.:-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:34 AM 07-01-2011
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Angel 100s were good too.:-)
When they came out I thought they were kind of meh, but, yeah, they turned into something nice after a few years of resting. I think I still have about a dozen left somewhere.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up