Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>Are you addicted to cigars?
Emjaysmash 12:49 AM 04-11-2010
Ive gone for periods of time without a cigar. the longest was a month or so, as I was too busy with school or away on study abroad. I didn't feel a thing.

Did I want to relax and smoke? sure, but I didn't need it. I could give up cigars right now, but Id be far less happy as I am with them.
[Reply]
Cyclone 01:06 AM 04-11-2010
Originally Posted by dabigdog:
I've gone over a month without a cigar with no real issue. That said, I did miss hanging out with my BOTL's. I guess you could say my withdrawal was more about \the social aspect of cigars than anything physical :-)
We missed you too, Bro!!:-)
[Reply]
mad4maduro 06:02 AM 04-11-2010
in comparison to cigarettes, very few people are actually addicted (in the true sense of the word) to cigars.

uummmm....but true love is another story :-)
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 07:17 AM 04-11-2010
Nope, not addicted. I've gone months without smoking a cigar.
[Reply]
forgop 05:12 PM 04-11-2010
I pretty much agree with everyone else. I was curious to see if anyone just craved cigars physically like they would cigarettes or if much higher usage (ie, daily) created that desire. I've typically only been a once a week kinda guy, but after tonight, I'll be on my 5th since Friday night. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 05:21 PM 04-11-2010
I am addicted to herfing. It gets real tough after 2 or 3 weeks without seeing my friends and spending a day smoking and talking. :-)
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 05:32 PM 04-11-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Ive gone for periods of time without a cigar. the longest was a month or so, as I was too busy with school or away on study abroad. I didn't feel a thing.

Did I want to relax and smoke? sure, but I didn't need it. I could give up cigars right now, but Id be far less happy as I am with them.
I'm in the same boat as you...I've gone long periods without them and I didn't have any issues. I think what I miss the most is the social/relaxation aspect of it. There are fewer things that rank higher than a good smoke, good food, and good people. I figure if I don't have to give that up, why try? :-)
[Reply]
Tredegar 05:35 PM 04-11-2010
I am not addicted to them and can go several days without lighting up. But every once in a while I get a little mental "whiff", if you can understand, of a really good smelling cigar and want another of those.
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 06:05 PM 04-11-2010
No, definitely not. As a mainly outdoor smoker, I smoke very rarely in the winter. Do I often want to smoke cigars in the winter? Yes, of course. But will I go freeze my butt off to smoke a cigar outside? Hell no!
[Reply]
acruce 06:07 PM 04-11-2010
I find them very enjoyable but not addicting
[Reply]
JJG 06:52 PM 04-11-2010
I think it is very possible to be physically addicted to cigars, which is why I make a point to always take a few days off after smoking all weekend. Ideally, I try to abstain Monday through Thursday to avoid it becoming a daily habit, but occasionally I will smoke one mid week. I have noticed that on Mondays, there is a definite craving, whether its physical or mental, (I think its physical) I have to really fight the urge to break down and smoke. Monday is difficult, Tues. is better, Wed. I usually don't crave cigars at all.
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:13 PM 04-11-2010
Addicted? No

I've gone without having one for two weeks up to two months. Sometimes I'm not in a mood and don't even think about it. A few times while I was working at the cigar shop, it felt weird being the only one not smoking but that's it.
[Reply]
darkninja67 05:59 AM 04-12-2010
Not addicted to them at all. I do enjoy them though.
[Reply]
alwayslit 07:03 AM 04-12-2010
I have yet to roll out of bed and light a cigar. There is a big difference between the two.....imho.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:07 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I am addicted to herfing. It gets real tough after 2 or 3 weeks without seeing my friends and spending a day smoking and talking. :-)
:-) The social and relaxation aspects of cigars are what I enjoy most!!!
[Reply]
althekillr 07:20 AM 04-12-2010
i would have to say the nicotine addiction is there for me to some degree. i smoke every day, and crave one when i go more than a few days without. agreed, its not like cigarretes, but i think i'd be fooling myself if i said there was no aspect of nicotine addiction there.
[Reply]
newlifetaxidermy 08:17 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by Stevez:
As a 20 year cigarette smoker, then a cigar smoker, they are quite different. I would really miss not having a cigar for sure and enjoy 3 - 4 per day now. I don't crave cigars the way I did cigs. I had to have a cig first thing in the morning. I think the cigar desire is much more mental, although I agree there are physical addiction attributes.
Same story here. When I was a cigarette smoker, I would smoke in the cold, rain, etc and when I was dead dog sick. Since I only smoke cigars now, I will not sit outside in cold or rainy weather to smoke and I can go well over a week if I'm sick without smoking. Do I still want one, sure...but not to the point of where I get nervous, on edge, "antsy", short tempered, or any of the other feelings I would experience if I didn't smoke a cigarette.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:19 AM 04-12-2010
no
[Reply]
cigarz 11:46 AM 04-12-2010
I have been a cigarette smoker off and on for 35 years. It has been 7 years since I have had one, and I know now, I will never have another.

Probably about 20 years ago, I tried smoking a couple of cigars, after having stopped cigarettes for 5 years. There was no problem going without the cigars for extended periods of time, and I assumed ( I always assume too much!), my resistance to the addictive nature of nicotine was under control and I could apply the same to cigarettes. Boy was I wrong! Pretty soon I was smoking a pack a day.

So you can understand my trepidation about a year ago when I lit up my first real cigar,that I had been gifted (20 years ago, it was Swishers and A&C's). This time, the quality of the cigar, but more importantly, the total experience of cigar smoking - understanding the history, culture and interacting with the BOTL-provides a much richer experience than cigarette smoking ever could.

Well I have rambled enough without answering the original post so: While I think there might be a slight physical component, it is so muted that it is cake walk to deal with (actually, staying away from cake is probably harder:-)).

That's my :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 11:49 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by cigarz:
(actually, staying away from cake is probably harder:-)).

That's my :-)
:-)

Fat Kid says: So true!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up