Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Are you a collector or are you a smoker?
kelmac07 12:32 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
How well do Maduros age? :-)

Seriously though. Honest question.
Some better than others Peter. Great example...the Cain Maduros have lost their "bite" in only a year and the Oliva Blue Oles have aged wonderfully in the 5-6 years they have been sitting. All depends on the stick. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:34 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
Initially you explore... buying things to try.
You find things you like and buy more.
If this trend continues long enough... buying more than you smoke;
You have become a collector.

I collect them to have the opportunity to smoke them over my forseable life/smoking career.

Quoted because Dave said it better than I ever could.

And good luck with that 2160 New Years celebration, Dave. :-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:38 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Some better than others Peter. Great example...the Cain Maduros have lost their "bite" in only a year and the Oliva Blue Oles have aged wonderfully in the 5-6 years they have been sitting. All depends on the stick. :-)
That's what I was wondering about. If they mellow out too much over time.

Thanks for the info. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:44 PM 03-22-2011
Not a collector at all.
[Reply]
qsalinas 12:50 PM 03-22-2011
As a noob I am smoking everything I can get my hands on. I figure that I have plenty of time to start collecting so for now they all go up in smoke.
All except for the BHK 52's I have. :-)
[Reply]
jledou 12:54 PM 03-22-2011
I collect cigars to smoke? yeah I might get ahead in the next lifetime...not that I have that many on hand right now, let's just saying I am still losing the material balance war.
[Reply]
Bill86 12:56 PM 03-22-2011
IMO I am definitely a smoker. Nothing is off limits in my humidor. I have probably ~400 or so cigars and the only reason I wouldn't smoke them is if they needed some rest. I do often set aside maybe my best 5'er and only smoke them for special occasions if I cannot afford more of them. But that would be about it. Or maybe ration out cigars I won't be able to get again. But they all get smoked.
[Reply]
dvickery 12:58 PM 03-22-2011
well...insomuch as i have more cigars than i will ever smoke...a collector.

i have no special cigars tho...usually i just pick a "new" box from my oldest cigars...a smoker

same as klugs...just did it a bit slower. all i have ever done(and continue to do)is buy a few more boxes per year than i smoke. slowly but surely this adds up.

derrek :-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 01:08 PM 03-22-2011
There are extremes as well. Within any group of people there are obsessive compulsives who represent a small percentage of the group. Within the same overall group there are people who have extreme incomes.

There is a small overlap of these two subgroups whos combination of the aforementioned conditions create shifts in the market availability, pricing and the types of cars preferred cigar vendors drive. :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 01:16 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:

I collect them to have the opportunity to smoke them over my forseable life/smoking career.

Pretty much what Dave said. I buy 'em to smoke 'em, but in some cases I lay them down for a bit of a nap.

By the time the game is done, I plan to leave an empty humidor behind. :-)
[Reply]
guitar4001 01:17 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by audio1der:
My worst-case scenario would involve laying on the road after being hit by a bus, wondering what any number of my 'special' smokes would have been like. Plus, who will get them if I die? My son? What would he and his buddies do with boxes of ERDM Slenderellas, aside from treat them like cigarettes? I smoke them all, at every opporunity.
I never thought of it like that before...good point!
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:24 PM 03-22-2011
I buy them to smoke and my favorites get smoked first. :-)
[Reply]
Devanmc 01:27 PM 03-22-2011
seeing as over the past 6months did half a cooler plus 4 trays of singles. Im a collector but with college around the corner, im soon to be a smoker.
[Reply]
Bax 01:34 PM 03-22-2011
I really enjoy the aspect of collecting but not to the point I wouldn't toast a single cigar that I have :-)
[Reply]
bigdankcloud 01:40 PM 03-22-2011
While it takes me some time since this cigar smoking thing has been pissing off the female unit more and more lately, I still think of myself as a smoker.
[Reply]
Average Joe 01:50 PM 03-22-2011
Smoker.

The only ones that don't get smoked are the ones I buy to try and don't like. Those go to people who bum cigars :-)
[Reply]
shilala 01:51 PM 03-22-2011
I haven't smoked much at all since last summer. Hopefully that'll change as the weather gets better, because I love my cigars.
I'm definately not a collector, but I'd admit to being a gatherer.
I do "keep" some cigars, but only so much as "I'm not going to smoke them, but I'll find someone who likes them".
I don't have nearly as many cigars as I used to, and I'd like to have lots less. I try to keep a box of each of the cigars I like, and I keep a bunch of stuff other people like so I can give them away.
I guess that'd put me in a low-level smoker/distributor/pusher class.
I do still enjoy keeping my eye out for really good deals, and I have a lot of fun finding unfindable stuff, so that "collector" part of me still exists.
[Reply]
smelly4tay 02:00 PM 03-22-2011
85% collector when I started in 03. Part of the collector in me was to see how well they would age. 100% smoker now (except 1 cigar). Part of the obsessive researcher in me satifies the craving to buy that next LE.....
[Reply]
pektel 02:02 PM 03-22-2011
What's the one cigar?
[Reply]
smelly4tay 02:18 PM 03-22-2011
Taboada Salamone 03 gifted to me at my first herf ever by Turnberry, who i don't see on any boards anymore. Just couldn't bring myself to smoke it, and have smoked enough Taboada stuff since to make that my precious unicorn. :-)

Party Pyramid 2000 EL the day my son was born was the cigar that changed it all. So tightly rolled that it got clipped and poked/clipped then pitched for a simple Royal Salute SG which was delicious. EL's and HTF's are cool, but there's always that chance they won't perform.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up