Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
General Discussion>Today I called the cops...
icehog3 12:05 AM 02-23-2011
Right....he should tell someone, "yes, I am working an insurance fraud case on your neighbor". The neighbor is that person's friend, so they go inside, call him, and tell him not to do anything that will jeopardize the fraud he is perpetrating on the insurance company that hired the P.I. Yeah, makes total sense.
[Reply]
Neens 12:59 AM 02-23-2011
All he had to say is that he was a P.I. working a case. It could have been on anything. He was snapping away at everything around could have been on or about anything really. Instead he decided to be rude. If he didn't want to be asked questions maybe he shouldn't have parked infront of a restaurant with large windows all along the street right after the lunch rush.
[Reply]
J0eybb 01:14 AM 02-23-2011
I only assume he was coming for your light beer.
[Reply]
jimdandy 01:38 AM 02-23-2011
It seems that Magnum was always a little stealthier; that was back in the good ole days I suppose.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:24 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by J0eybb:
I only assume he was coming for your light beer.
Thank god I have none to give him.

In retrospect, I think it may have been a city flunky working for the traffic and planning commission that borrowed an "extra" city vehicle. One with capability to run plates. We have a much higher traffic rate on our street than it was designed for, and have consulted the city about it (being a "shortcut" for a larger development that was built later behind our neighborhood.)
My only analysis was that he was running plates and plotting salient home addresses in a map to find where the high volume traffic originated from.

That.... Or he was a lost alien ship commander and couldn't recognize the adaptive cloaking of his former ship and was trying to find it.
[Reply]
Eleven 06:47 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Maybe he was on a stakeout or investigation and didn't feel the need to compromise it by detailing to you what he was doing? :-)
Too bad. He should have been better at not being suspicious looking.

The first time someone gets murdered or a kid gets taken and we find out someone noticed the suspicious person but didn't notify anyone, everyone gets all bent out of shape for people 'not caring'.

Anyone parks anywhere near my house doing what this guy did in the OP, and he gets the cops called on him. He probably gets his own picture taken first, in case the cops get there late.

:-)
[Reply]
Christiel49 07:02 AM 02-23-2011
I'm with Dan. This makes more sense. I don't think the Feds would sit in an obvious car in plain clothes. Kinda seems to pointless.

Maybe a personal vendeta against one of your neighbors. Making them paranoid
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 07:18 AM 02-23-2011
Since when did everyone all of a sudden have a right to know what other people are doing? Or feel justified in being upset when they aren't "in on" what's going on. Was he parked on private property? Or was he on a public street?

<shakes head and walks away>
[Reply]
Blueface 07:28 AM 02-23-2011
Pete,
We use lots of investigators in our fraud investigations.
The very last thing any of them will ever, ever do is tell someone the true reason why they are there, specially any information on the party being investigated. That can lead to privacy issues and result in potential slander and defamation charges.
As such, mum is the word usually.
If on public grounds and one is concerned, notify the police and let them investigate. If they are the police, well, life goes on as doubt they will share the reason for activity and tip anyone off.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:03 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
Since when did everyone all of a sudden have a right to know what other people are doing? Or feel justified in being upset when they aren't "in on" what's going on. Was he parked on private property? Or was he on a public street?

<shakes head and walks away>
If something odd or out of the ordinary happens in my neighborhood, I want to be aware of the situation.
Curiosity, nothing really more than that. It is good to remember, that sometimes the watchers need to know they too are being watched. There is a "small" amount of corruption in our fair city. Tax monies can be squandered in a multitude of ways, among other things. Look upon it as ensuring my public employees know they are on my dime. "Justified in being upset"? Not upset at all, but I do find a fair amount of cynicism and curiosity can be positively used. Situational awareness is an admirable trait, Tyr, and quite frankly, I feel it is a habit worth practicing. Some people never know what is going on around them. Any douchebag can buy an old city Crown Vic, complete with hockey pucks on the trunk, drivers side search light, etc.

Originally Posted by Blueface:
Pete,
We use lots of investigators in our fraud investigations.
The very last thing any of them will ever, ever do is tell someone the true reason why they are there, specially any information on the party being investigated. That can lead to privacy issues and result in potential slander and defamation charges.
As such, mum is the word usually.
If on public grounds and one is concerned, notify the police and let them investigate. If they are the police, well, life goes on as doubt they will share the reason for activity and tip anyone off.
The car was pretty solid as being a current or retired city/county unit, but the complete lack of markings of any type raised my curiosity. There was no real attempt at being "discreet." There is, however, a fairly high percentage of my cities workers I have come into contact with (I would put it at about 80%, perhaps 4 out of the last 5 just in the past few months) haven't been the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. This, of course, doesn't directly correlate with the personal adage I try to remind myself of, "Folks, half of the people you run into every day are below average, and it behooves anyone to take that into account."
:-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 08:52 AM 02-23-2011
Understood Pete. I was more pointing my comments towards Neens and his situation but I understand yours as well. I'm all for people being aware of what's going on in their neighborhood. While neighborhood watch programs are often frustrating on a quantity of calls basis, they do in fact on occasion alert officers to valid crimes etc.

I guess my issue was with the "well he was rude" post earlier up. If I had a nickel for every time someone was rude to me.... I'd have like 10 cents :-)
[Reply]
croatan 09:00 AM 02-23-2011
I see a guy camped out taking pictures out in front of your house as a no-win situation. If he's on a/the job, he's not going to tell you anything, which is just going to piss you off. If he's not on a/the job, then he's probably doing something shady, which should piss you off.

And, as for the guy in the car, he's not going to be happy to have to talk to you because you're either a) screwing with his job or b) screwing with the "job" he's about to pull.

Either way, everyone is pissed off. See, no win :-)

So that's why I just call Tom or Tyr :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:02 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by croatan:
I see a guy camped out taking pictures out in front of your house as a no-win situation. If he's on a/the job, he's not going to tell you anything, which is just going to piss you off. If he's not on a/the job, then he's probably doing something shady, which should piss you off.

And, as for the guy in the car, he's not going to be happy to have to talk to you because you're either a) screwing with his job or b) screwing with the "job" he's about to pull.

See, no win :-)

So I suppose you wouldn't agree with my methodology when I pulled an Axel Foley and shoved a tater up his tailpipe?
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:02 AM 02-23-2011
So that's why I just call Tom or Tyr
In one more year, you can't call me anymore :-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:05 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
So I suppose you wouldn't agree with my methodology when I pulled an Axel Foley and shoved a tater up his tailpipe?

A huh huh huh <-- Axel Foley laugh :-)
[Reply]
markem 09:28 AM 02-23-2011
[quote=Eleven;1182162]
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
banana

sheesh. kids these days. And note the continuity problem in the movie where the banana he picked from the buffet clearly isn't the one be put in the tailpipe.
[Reply]
markem 09:30 AM 02-23-2011

Either way, everyone is pissed off. See, no win :-)

If someone is parked in your neighborhood doing something that you consider suspicious, call the local police non-emergency number and let them handle it. I live across from a grade school and anyone parked in front of my house taking pictures is gonna get reported quick.
[Reply]
markem 09:32 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
I guess my issue was with the "well he was rude" post earlier up. If I had a nickel for every time someone was rude to me.... I'd have like 10 cents :-)
No one would dare be rude to you, Tyr. It's clearly wrong to be rude to someone shorter than Gerry. :-)

You set yourself up for that one, oh "luscious" one. :-)
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:42 AM 02-23-2011
Randy Newman was rude to me once.... ONCE!

LOL, no one is rude to luscious objects of desire :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:56 AM 02-23-2011
I'm sorry Týr, but "Luscious" does not go with your Avatar :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up