Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>Bwahaha! Big announcement and a dream come true!
RHNewfie 02:17 PM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by DBall:
Congrats, man! That rocks. Sales jobs where you have to lie to survive suck your soul out.
Boy you said it Dan... Your statement just gave me a horrid mental flash back...

Congrats on the new job!!
[Reply]
TBone 02:20 PM 05-27-2011
Sounds like a great opportunity and at the right time...good luck
[Reply]
Bill86 02:29 PM 05-27-2011
GL, I made it a month at a B&M. The people that own those places are lying f**king scumbags. Not to mention cheap as all hell. It wasn't worth it. I found out they turn over 20-25 Employees a year.

I hope you have better luck than I did.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 02:32 PM 05-27-2011
Congrats, best of luck to you in your new venture
[Reply]
jjirons69 02:33 PM 05-27-2011
Good deal! Enjoy it. Try all kinds of smokes so you have an opinion when folks ask. Hopefully it all works out.

BTW, I wanted to be a gynecologist when I was a teenager. Thank God I never was!!
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:09 PM 05-27-2011
Best of luck...that is in not owing the owner some money at the end of each payday. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Drez 03:20 PM 05-27-2011
Congrats brother!!! Have fun in the new job!!!
[Reply]
smokepuff 04:27 PM 05-27-2011
Congratulations Ian!
[Reply]
DaBear 06:21 PM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I guess I am numero uno! :-)
Guess I'm two then :-)

Good luck trying to not buy everything in the store. After buying 8 cigars in my first week I had to tell one of the guys I work with to stop me from buying any more for at least 2 weeks.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:41 PM 05-27-2011
:-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:55 PM 05-27-2011
Congrats Ian. Double congrats because you have a sweet name like Ian!
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:10 PM 05-27-2011
Best of luck with your new job!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
maninblack 07:11 PM 05-27-2011
Awesome news and congrats Ian!! Hope it all works out for you!
[Reply]
T.G 10:31 PM 05-27-2011
Congrats!

BTW, Fry's or Best Buy?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:38 PM 05-27-2011
Congrats! And God's blessings in the new job!
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 10:58 PM 05-27-2011
You are one lucky man Ian! I have been wanting to work in a smoke shop for some time now, anything to do with stogies and pipes I would work at! Maybe one of these days I will hit the jackpot like you. Good luck with the new job and have fun!
[Reply]
Azaelius 12:18 AM 05-28-2011
Wow! Everyone thanks so much for all the support and kind words!

So, Story continued from today: I went in today for the final sit-down and talk and whatnot, turns out, I'm already hired. Done. Just got a couple more forms to fill out, then I start soon. Will update when I know for sure when I start.

Now, to answer individual posts, haha.

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Be forewarned, sometimes you have to do that to sell cigars. A customer will ask, 'how's this cigar?' and you reply 'it's not too bad'. Knowing you can't stand it. :-)

Welcome to the club! :-)
Ahaha that happens, but the guys who work there now usually respond like this: "Do you want my opinion, or what the cigar is officially supposed to taste like?" Did the same thing at the ol' job, but with electronics, haha.

Originally Posted by OLS:
I have never heard a B&M employee honestly tell me they love their job, so be fore-warned that it might be
better than electronics hustling, but can also be frustrating, especially given the tight margins I am sure we will
all be waiting to hear how this goes.
That may be true for many places, but this place is great. I've asked the employees, and almost all of them straight up said they really like if not love working there :-)

Originally Posted by Bill86:
GL, I made it a month at a B&M. The people that own those places are lying f**king scumbags. Not to mention cheap as all hell. It wasn't worth it. I found out they turn over 20-25 Employees a year.

I hope you have better luck than I did.
Wow... that sounds like a sucky b&m... like, really really bad... this one isn't like that. they keep employees an average of 6 years or so, and it's a fairly tight-knit group of good folks. I'm friends with the owner's son and have made friends with the owner, and I am very happy to say they are, in fact, not lying scumbags, haha. Not in the least.
[Reply]
Azaelius 12:19 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Best of luck...that is in not owing the owner some money at the end of each payday. :-) :-) :-)
I'd be genuinely frightened of that, honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I get all the free house brand pipe tobacco I want all the time as long as I'm smoking it then and there. That should keep the cigar costs down a bit, though I know there's no way I can abstain completely, haha.

Originally Posted by BengalMan:
Congrats Ian. Double congrats because you have a sweet name like Ian!
Darn tootin'! Thanks, man. I do like my name, quite a bit.
[Reply]
Azaelius 12:19 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Congrats!

BTW, Fry's or Best Buy?
Hehehe... neither. F*&#ing Radio Shack :-) That place is HORRID to work for.

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms:
You are one lucky man Ian! I have been wanting to work in a smoke shop for some time now, anything to do with stogies and pipes I would work at! Maybe one of these days I will hit the jackpot like you. Good luck with the new job and have fun!
It's all a matter of persistence and luck. You'll get it man. Just find a place you really like, become familiar with all the employees, think if it's really something you'd want to do, then ask the owner/manager if they're taking apps. YOU CAN DO IT! :-)

Originally Posted by pnoon:
Congrats.
Which B&M?
Posted via Mobile Device
Aaaaah, the $64,000 question... now that I'm officially hired, I can tell y'all :-)

Down in San Diego, there's a cool area called Old Town, basically a 1800's themed state park. It's a bit of a tourist trap, but it's got some great shops and people there, this place included. The name of the shop is Racine & Laramie's, and its been there in its present for for about 40 years, nestled next to an Olde Time Wells Fargo and a spice and tea shop that's closed down temporarily, lol. If any of you guys and gals are ever in the area, please come and visit us! :-)

Also I'm sorry about the seperation of posts... needed to be done for some odd reason... only way it would let me post it all due to an apparent image limit :/
[Reply]
T.G 07:45 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by Azaelius:
Hehehe... neither. F*&#ing Radio Shack :-) That place is HORRID to work for.
I never would have guessed Battery Hut, your description sounded so much like what I've heard of the Fry's stores up here in the Bay Area.

All the best on the new job bro.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up